3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!  (Read 7299 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The blocks to BIG FOOT bow transformation has begun!
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Sounds like we need to be preparing for a couple of bow showers.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Lot's of good stuff on this thread today! I'm inspired to go rasp on my nasty self bow for a while!
Thom

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I know exactly what the woods are in Kirk's riser, cause mine is going to be it's sister..

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Is it a secret Larry, or can you tell us?   :help:  
Thom

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
Well my camera battery died as i was working today so i don't have many photos. Thom .... your limbs are done. Whether i hit poundage or not, is another story.    :p    

Pete's goes into the form tomorrow and i got the one piece form out and polished up for Johns bow too.

here's a couple pics of your limbs before i started slinging the bow snot. i shot some video of the lay up that I'm editing this evening.

Here ya go Larry... here's a shot of your riser block ....

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2012, 03:44:00 AM »
Kirk, I love the footed riser. Killer bows getting ready to get hatched.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
It's just like the days leading up to Christmas when I was a little boy! Sorry your batteries ran out, but it's great to see a few more of those limbs still disassembled! Sounds like it was the last chance to see that    :thumbsup:  

I think the six month wait makes this even more enjoyable to watch!
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Very cool.

Thom, your bow is going to have such a nice look from the profile....any direction really..lol
But your limb core color is going to look sharp between the zebra.   :thumbsup:

Some pretty riser blocks there too!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Thanks John, she's already looking good! I bet that orange gets a few double takes over the years to come    :bigsmyl:  

Those are some sweet risers, I'm kinda glad I don't have to make that tough decision again anytime soon!
Thom

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
Here is the update from my little workbench across the country!

I got a dozen shafts and all my feathers in. I cut the first two shafts down 1/4" and 1/2", and pulled one shaft out of the bundle to keep full length. I fletched up these 3 and put on the 170 grain field tips so I'm ready to start tuning as soon as the bow arrives!

Looking at the zebra, I'm thinking a yellow and black string might be a nice combo. anyone else have a different combo in D97 that they think would look sharp? Maybe 3 ply orange/yellow/black... I do have red on hand and that might look nice too.

If I need to order a new color I want to get that in so I can twist up a pair of strings, leave the original as a template after it's shot in a little.

I'm torn between doing a yellow center serving and my normal black/white braided. Need to finalize my string colors before I worry about this too much.

I've got a hunting trip in a month so it will be tight, but I still hope I can hunt this bow!!!
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
I think I'm done with decisions too.
It's hard for me to hand over the reigns completely.
..I'm just not built that way I guess..lol

But I have FULL confidence in Kirk's eye for beauty and his craftsmanship....
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
x2 on Kirks eye
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
Thom,

Not sure if the yellow,sunset orange, or even the cedar would match better..I haven't seen any of them in person..or your core for that matter.

If I'd say white,black, and a couple strands of core matching color.

Too bad they don't make the "natural" color in d97..just the 452X. I think that would look a bit better than white.

Are you getting clear or the amber tint sealer?

...I went with the amber....not Purple tint Kirk..lol

If you went with amber I'd throw out the white and go with your black and whatever matches the core idea.

More importantly, I'm       :pray:          :pray:     for you to have picked the right spine shafts.

I have my feathers chopped and and my pattern dyed on them (red feathers / black pattern) and all the other stuff that goes with em.

I'm waiting to shoot my test arrows and then order the shafts.

I can understand with your time constraints why you're trying to stack the deck.

REALLY, REALLY REALLY hope it works out for you!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
My bow will be under amber too, the examples Kirk sent me of the zebra under that were spectacular!!!

I've thought about trying Astro Flight, but, I can get 3 x 1/8# spools of D97 in different colors for the same price as one 1/4# spool of AF. I've seen a few bows that look good with white strings, maybe this will be one of them. I'll give this some thought and see if any other ideas pop up here over the next couple days. Luckily this stuff ships fast to where we live!

As for the arrows, I'm really comfortable with my guess for this bow. I run 2117s on all my bows between 51 and 60 at draw, and this one should be right in the middle. I've got almost 3 inches sticking out the front to trim on, and broadheads ranging from 100 to 250 grains. I can also work with the side plate and string setup if I need a little extra tuning. Besides, if I'm completely wrong I know the guys at the local shop really well and they would get me dialed in with a good combo and send me out the door with a dozen finished arrows the same day if I'm in a pinch.

Did somebody say "waiting is the hardest part"???
Thom

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Cool man

I'm glad you're covered.

So looking forward to that amber over zebra.
..that bow is going to be stunning!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Ok i'm going to try this out here... my first you tube attempt.

As for your string Thom, that's an area i don't mess with, but the color i just happen to have for your bow is a Black & yellow 12 strand D97.

I've just recently ordered some SBD strings in a 10 strand & 8 strand, I'll be using in the future.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Link worked great Kirk.

You looked like you were dealing some kind of card trick there...lol

Thanks for the vid.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Card trick is right bro... you glue these things up out of order and it's a bad scene.

ok lets try this one...  Thom's limbs

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
Neat to watch that Kirk.

Thank you!   :thumbsup:

Offline LYONEL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Hi Kirk what are the black & white accents in the dark riser block?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©