3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tell me about a shrew  (Read 1137 times)

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
tell me about a shrew
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
looking at a shrew I think it is the ss gold not 100% on that. what are they like as far as hand shock. I shot one at k-zoo this year don't remember much about it don't know if that is good or bad. also looking at Navajo apache,RER vortex all 58".thanks for the help Joe
phil:4.13

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tell me about a shrew
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
You can not go wrong with a Shrew.  I have 3 now and they are one of if not the best bow I have shot to date.  They are quiet, no hand shock, have good arrow cast.  The #1 reason that I know of that most people have a problem shooting a Shrew bow is because of arrow spine.  2 of them that I have are 53#@28" and they take a 65-70# spine arrow.  Ron knows a lot about his bows and if you get one he can tell you what spine you should shoot.  I can't say enough good things about Shrew bows.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
I shot a Shrew at a shoot once. It was a very good shooting bow. I think you would be happy with it, if not from what I`ve seen on the classifieds here it would not be hard to sell.RC

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
There are 4 Shrew Bows in this house, every one of them is a work of art. No handshock, they all launch an arrow like lightening, and the best part of them is the grip. The grip fits my hand like a glove, and allows incredible instinctive accuracy.

The wait isn't like it was several years ago..it's only about 12 months, as far as I know.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
I have a Shrew Lil Favorite Scout and Samurai. Those two bows have earned keeper status with my Black Swans and ACS-CX. If you've seen how many bows I have gone through and tried, that should speak volumes.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
I can't say enough about those Shrews. There are 3 in my house right now.

I just recieved my third and it took a year to the month to get. And what a shooter! Sooo quiet. Hardly a whisper from her at all.

I've also got a SS Gold. Just another great shooting bow.

Like Mr. Norris already said, the grip is the best part. Molds to your hand really nicely.

Just great shooting bows.

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline lost lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:28:00 PM »
I've shot a super shrew very nice no hand shock that I could tell

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I have shot my way through a pile of bows that I have kept, including a black widow longbow, a checkmate crusader, great plains longbow, mosshorns, kabekona river, chapparals, martin and others.  The only ones I have shot in the past year and a half are the 3 super shrews that rest on the most accessible pegs in my bowrack.

The super shrews have zero handshock, fit my hand like no other bow I have shot, cast a heavy arrow with authority, and somehow I am as accurate if not more accurate with these short 56" bows than I am with any of the other bows I have ever shot.  I have stopped looking at bows and have not purchased any bows since my last Super Shrew was delivered winter before last.  I bought mine used and don't plan on any more purchases unless its to have a curly maple, bow bolt takedown, super shrew made for myself.  I have gone so far as to fill out the order form but haven't scraped up the testicular fortitude to break loose with the cash to get on the list.
I could not recommend a bow any higher than a shrew.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I have 12 high-end longbows hanging on the wall but the one I take to the woods each fall is the Shrew. Tom
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
I have a Super Shrew Deluxe and it is a sweet bow! Fast, accurate, quiet and no hand shock! I think I may order another very soon!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »
my shrew was made back in the 90'eds and still is a Kick butt bow. I found heavy arrows work the best from it. If I ever buy another bow it will be a shrew.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
I disagree also. I have bought and sold alot of hybrid longbows. I used to be a Lightning dealer. The bows that Gordy builds are nothing like Shrews. He did not intend them to be that way. His bows are his bows and he builds one helluva bow. Shrews are designed and built in a way that I have never seen anyone else do. Look at a Shrew through the eyes of a bowyer and you will see there is a difference. That craftsmanship is second to none. I bought a Samarai used and have another on order. Probably be the last hybrid I buy.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
I am familiar with Donovans Shrews and like them a lot other than some are left hand!!!
 I don't recall finding any thing negative about them and I would have one in a heart beat.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
I bit the bullet and bought a 58" Super Shrew at Kazoo this winter.  This is the first high dollar bow I've bought in the 10 years I've been shooting trad and I have no regrets.

I've been having some consistency issues with my shooting and I like longbows and hybrids so I decided that a Shrew might be a little easier to shoot.  I have to say it was a good purchase because I'm shooting better than ever since I got this bow.  The grip is a perfect fit and it pulls so smooth it's hard to believe it's only 58".

Even if I go back to my other bows the Shrew has been a great teacher of what it takes for me to shoot well: consistent form all the way around and that's easier for me to do with this bow.  

I haven't shot one of each custom bow out there so
I'm not trying to say this is the greatest bow since Ishi met Dr. Pope just that it works for me.

If we all shot bows based on Traditional Bowhunter wouldn't we be more likely to be shooting Robertson's? :)

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
You don't see them last long in the clasifieds. There is a good reason for that. The Shrew grip is a one if not the best grip in your hand. Your bow hand stays relaxed. I am down to 2 bows now and have no desire for any others.
Out Door Dan

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
The same thing applies here as with any other--try one and make your own decisions.  I've shot them, and owned an old Gary Holmes--nice bows, but not the bow for me.

Although there is nothing wrong with not caring for this or that bow, you'll hear a lot more from folks that like a particular bow than not--that's the nature of message boards.  Folks that like a particular bow are more prone to post than those that don't.  I know I get hesitant about giving my opinions sometimes, due to being called basically everything but smart and honest in the past.

Again, as with any other, if there was one bow or one design that was head and shoulders above all others, then that would be the only bow on the market or every other bowyer would be copying that bow, and every serious tournament archer and every serious hunter would be shooting the same bow--obviously not the case.

Some folks like selfbows, some like Hill bows, some like Shrews, and some like bows that are in-between one or the other.

Message board opinions are one tool to use, but not something to base a final decision on--at least not IMO.  I've been on these boards for many years, and some of the bows I've read rave reviews about I wouldn't pay $5 for.  I'm not saying they were junk (at least most weren't), I just didn't care a bit for them.  Different strokes for different folks.  I've shot bows that rattled my teeth, but others have said they have "zero" hand shock.  I've seen posts about how smooth a bow pulled, when to me it felt 10# heavier than it was marked.  Perceptions vary as much as opinions.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.  Lots of Shrews on the market--hopefully you will get a chance to try one out and make your own call.

**Edit**  Thought of one more thing I wanted to add before I step (fall?) off my soapbox.

A lot of us have owned a lot of different bows.  I LOVE longbows (LBR stands for "Long Bows Rule!"), but I don't love ALL longbows, if that makes any sense.  I couldn't list all the ones I've owned, much less the ones I've shot--too many to recall.  Even though I've owned and shot umpteen different longbows over the years, I would never say "you will like this one because I do".  I can tell you what I look for in a bow, what impresses me, what I don't like, etc. but again--the things that make me like a bow may not mean a thing to you.  Kinda falls back on what I said before--message boards and opinions are a tool, but not something I'd base my final decision on.  I'm constantly learning and developing my skills and preferances, so it's possible the bow I love today could be replaced by a different bow in the future.  I say that even though I've had the same favorite for the past 10 or so years.

This is just an attempt to help someone avoid some of the mistakes I've made (some can be pretty expensive mistakes).

Chad

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
Chad,
   :clapper:   That truly sums it up.  Unless you are an identical twin, it has to be what YOU like.  And even then I'll bet there might be different likes.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
You mentioned is your post that you were also looking at a Navajo Apache. I have a Shrew and it is a fine shooting bow and a little faster than my Navijo. But I personaly shoot the navajo quiet a bit better than the shrew. Your results could vary. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I've shot them, and owned an old Gary Holmes--nice bows, but not the bow for me.

Just for the information of others, the early Shrews that were made by Gary Holmes and Randy Denel in the early 90's while good shooting bows should not be compared to the current Shrews. A lot has gone over the dam since those early days and the Shrew bows have evolved a lot since then, here's the story.   :readit:
 http://www.shrewbows.com/super_story.htm#shrewstory
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
"the early Shrews that were made by Gary Holmes and Randy Denel in the early 90's while good shooting bows should not be compared to the current Shrews"

Absolutely 2 different bows. Todays Shrew has no equal.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©