3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tell me about a shrew  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tell me about a shrew
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
I know the shrew has a bit of cult following and I've never shot one, but here's my short 2 cents.

I was on the shrew kick a few months ago, not many come-up in the classifieds (though they do come up), and was going to order one.  Sent a couple of emails to the contact address on the shrew site and never heard anything back from anyone (yeah I know, emails can fall into a black hole, the dog ate my homework etc ...).  Ended-up ordering a Brush Bow from Mark Horne and like it fine (and $475 new to boot).

Point is, there are lots of nice bows out there and you probably already have an idea if the Shrew's grip suits you or not.

Frankly, if you shot one this year and can't remember anything about it ... that would tell me all I needed to know.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
If you couldn't get ahold of Ron, you didn't try to hard.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
I've been shooting my recurve quite a bit and got used to the heavier riser weight.  My Shrew was taking up space in the closet.

After reading this thread I got out the Shrew, 58" 58# @28".  (For you Shrew groupies, I have the SS Limited #1 of 100)

Lets see:
  • Quiet (now the recurve sounds very loud)
  • Light and easy to draw
  • Easy to shoot (As long as I concentrate on a strong bow arm.  One area where a recurve heavy riser seems to help)
  • Fast (truthfully, I cannot tell if its fast, slow or somewhere in between but it seems to fling an arrow just fine)
Now I just have to remember why I've been shooting the recurve?

Terrific bow!  

My experience with Ron has been very positive.  Every time I have emailed or called he has been more than helpful and I would rate his service top notch.

If you get a Shrew, I bet you'll be very happy with it.  

If not, your risk is low.  There is a ready market for them; they seem to sell quickly and for a good price.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
No Roger, I didn't try too hard (don't think you should have to try too hard).  After a couple of attempts I moved on.  I'm a busy man with other things to do.  I'm sure Ron's a nice fellow, nor do I think he intentionally ignored me.

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
Ron is a very nice and helpfull man. I am sure he is sorry he missed an chance to speak with you. If you ever need advise he will help anyone.
Out Door Dan

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
HI Guys,
Here is how I feel about Ron LaClair and his bows..... I have been patiently waiting for an opportunity to thank Ron publicly for a very personal favor he did for me a few months back. Ron, I sure hope you are reading this, you are a gentleman and legend in my mind !!!

I am too cursed with being a lefty and have wanted a Shrew for quite some time. I just did not want to wait a year to get one. You know, there is a reason you have to wait for a Shrew.... they are one of the best !!! I am a little slow and finally pm'd Roger and some of the other Shrewhaven guys and they suggested that I call Ron or email him and see if he could help me since he is a lefty too. Did Ron LaClair ever help me alright !!! He sent me one of his personal Shrew Scout Recurves that he had already taken two deer with, NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO $$$ UP FRONT, to " see if I liked it ", haha !!! He also spent over an hour on the phone with me talking archery and life's lessons. I felt like a giddy little teenager talking to Elvis or something !

I plan on taking my first trad whitetail with this bow. It will never leave me until I can pass it on to some lucky LH shooter in my old age. But for now I think it has at least another 30 years to hunt with me, Good Lord willing !

Ron, I have no words to describe what You and your bow mean to me ! You are a treasure to this sport and Me !    :clapper:  

Jimmy Shelton
nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Well Said NoCams  :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Nice post NoCams.   :thumbsup:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
I have many longbows and hybrids by different well known bowyers. Most of them are very good bows.
On a whim, last year I bought two Super Shrew Limited's off the T.G. classifieds. I've never had a grip on a bow fit my hand so perfectly. Yes, they're quiet, no hand shock that I can detect. They shoot pretty fast. The 60" 53@28 prefers the Alaskans over the Sitkas. Ed sent me a dozen Alaskans spined at 68lbs cause the Sitkas shot weak. They both seem to like an arrow spined at least 15lbs over the draw weight. Yes, I really like the Shrews, and my LTD's are dressed up real pretty too! I think there would have to be a month with three moons in it before I'd part with my S S LTD's.
Roger, I'm Irish too. 20 years back I'd fight you for that shirt. But my 'pugilistic' days are long gone. I'm too darn old. (chuckle)
Good post Jimmy.

-LP

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Just to clarify, I mentioned the Gary Holmes bow because that's the only one I've actually owned.  The last Shrew I shot was a fairly new one last summer.

Chad

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »
Roger helped me remember who the other Shrewhaven guy was that steered me to contact Ron LaClair, it was...... Ray Lyon. Thanks again Ray for steering me in the right direction.

nocams  :wavey:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online JoLo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
I was lucky to get a Shrew longbow off the TG classifieds last year, it amazed me.... so quiet, so smooth, and a perfect grip.
But the bow was a tad to heavy me, so I recently traded it off, so now im looking for a Shrew Scout, and when I get one I hope it ends the search for that perfect for me bow  :pray:  
If you feel you need one, the try one, and if its not for you, it will be gone in the
classifieds within 24 hours.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
I've never owned one of the new shrews. But I have owned a couple older Holmes Shrews, as well as 10 or more Gary Holmes bows.

If I could have one bow back it would be the first longbow I bought from Gary. Not that it was any better than anything else, but because it was my first longbow, as well as my first custom.

I had a Shrew prototype that Gary made that I liked really well. I traded it to my friend just last year because I got to the point I could no longer handle the weight.

But I'm sure the older Shrews nowhere compare to the new ones. The photos I've seen of the new Shrews alone, show they are a lot more refined than the older ones.

I guess I'm trying to say that if I liked the old ones, even a prototype that didn't work out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one.

One more thing, and I truly don't mean to hi-jack here. But looking through an old TBM the other day I saw one of Rons first adds for the Tiger Shrew. I happened to go by Gary Holmes shop as he was trying what to the best of my recollection was: the first tiger shrew he glued up. He continued to show me how he did the colors. I thought that was neet.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
As to the original question I can offer no help. I wish I had a shrew to thoroughly evaluate myself. As for Ron LaClair, I have nothing but high regards for his knowledge, experience, and contribution to the sport we love. I love the information I get on this site - positive AND negative. I especially appreciate the negative if only because of the reasons LBR stated. I don't understand why someone has to be denigrated if they state a truth, fact, or honest opinion. If all we ever received was positive feedback then there would be no opportunity for improvement. I bet Mr. LaClair knows this. He and his products cast a large shadow in this sport and we all know it. That's all well and good but I truly appreciate those that don't live in another man's shadow but admire it from afar.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Hi Jimmy, It's good to hear from you and I'm glad you like the bow. It's a good bow, it never let me down the season I hunted with it. I wouldn't have let it go but it sounded like you really needed a bow and I thought I could get another one if I could talk Gregg into squeezing me in    :rolleyes:

Thanks to all you Shrew Shooters for your endorsements. It gives a fella a good feeling knowing folks are happy with their bows.

Dave, I'm sorry you had trouble getting an answer to your inquiries. I don't know when you sent your emails but it may have been when I was having trouble with my email. I wish I had an 800 number...someday maybe.    :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Simply one of the finest bows on the market!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Bowhunter97,

To answer your original question; I have never shot a Super Shrew that has ANY handshock.  I have shot a lot of them...I own a 58" Samurai, 58" Chameleon T/D, a 60" Scout, and a 52" Classic T/D in addition to being a friend of Gregg's who on occasion get's to try something he has up his sleeve at our archery club.

To the rest of the folks "adding" their opinons, here are mine:

I find it hard to believe there is a more smooth, natural pointing bow out there than the Super Shrew.  From full bore running elk to flying pheasants it is just right there for me.  Short shots or LONG shots it shoots a beautiful arrow.

Every now and then, I have been able to stop by Ron's place.  Each and every time I have been there for more than 2 minutes, his phone is  ringing and the e-mail alerts are going off every 10 minutes  :eek:  .  He always answers.  At shows, his booth is a popular place, but he make time for everyone.  Even as big and gnarly as he is, Ron sure is approachable and very willing to share his vast knowledge thru any communication medium.  We are very lucky to have him here.

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I owned a few used shrews that I picked up on the trading blanket. One was an older original shrew, a 52" shrew recurve, and a 58" Super Shrew. The original and recurve aren't in the same league as the Super Shrew. The Super was very smooth, fairly fast, and extremely quiet. I no longer own it but that's because I just can't shoot a short, hybrid longbow well. I've tried several and they just don't match up with my shooting style. If it wasn't for that I would still own that super shrew. It's easily one of the top bows available.

Chris

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
HEY!!!...I didn't get to post!!!...was going to get around to it this evening.

Ya know, it makes it much easier, and more respectful when someone asks about a certain bow, and he gets comments on said bow, and not a lot of comments on other bows.  Try and keep the posts on topic guys.  Don't forget what Trad Gang was founded  on!

Anyway, I've had one for 7 years now, a Samurai, and it aint going anywhere.  I got one with the hinge, and the dang thing will not only fit in a back quiver broke down, but my back pocket as well........not to mention its a pleasure to shoot, no hand shock to speak of, and it's one of the most pointable bows I've ever owned with a great grip.

OK......I'll lock it back up.  You guys play nice now ya hear?      ;)
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©