3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Broadheads  (Read 343 times)

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Broadheads
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
I know just about any broadhead is good as long as it is sharp but I have been looking at the VPA spur. Has anyone used them? They Have definitely raised my curiuosity. Thanks for your opinions.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Haven't used em. Magnus bullheads for head shots is my 1st choice.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I would shoot something you are deadly accurate with and have full confidence in.  No matter what broadhead you choose, accuracy is key.  For turkeys I prefer a large cutting diameter.

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
I have and use a couple of different ones depending on what bow I am shooting. I will be using Snuffers and woodsmen mainly. The VPA spur is just interesting to me.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
Coach:  When you can shoot like Roy (Bowwild) you can use anything, if you shoot like Roy(Mackey) you need all the help you can get, I use the big VPA Tetminators and shoot for the body. I never cared for anything that would inpeed penetration, I want the broadhead to cut as much as possible and if I can get a passthrough all the better.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
You might be surprised what a turkey can take.They are not as easy to penetrate as they look. The spur is not for me. I don’t want anything to slow penetration.  I love the 1 ¼ VPA (formerly called terminator) for turkeys.They are great heads.
Bill

Offline Dawnpatrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
Magnus Bull Heads for neck shots (only). I shot a tom in the head and knocked him to the ground. The impact of the arrow broke the ferral of the broadhead. He popped right back up and kept strutting with no beak! Next shot was a zwicky to the boiler room. I don't recommend head shots with Magnus Bull Heads.

Offline Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
I've used the old 2 blade Snuffers and it zipped through a big tom I killed in Ohio a few years back. I would go with a wide two blade head as sharp as you can get it and aim for the boiler room.
Jose =>>>>>---------->
Bear Montana longbow 52#@27"
80' Howatt Hunter 61#@27"
06' Bear Super Kodiak 57#@27"

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »
I will be using two and three blade snuffers that are shaving sharpe.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Its gonna be snuffers and battle axes for me this year...I'm not a fan so my arrow slowing down I've seen a turkey's take a lot of abuse and keep going. I want something that is going to put a big hole and leave a bright read feather covered trail....Best of Luck
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:04:00 PM »
With the correct set-up, one will be hard pressed to exceed the lethality of the Big Jim Big 3's.

Highest Slash Factor of which I am aware of.

Six Big 3's will be accompanying me to Alabama next month.

Quick immobility is key.

The famed 18 in 1 Rhinehart was totally immobilized w/i 3 1/2 weeks.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
I agree with Bill.I`ve killed a few Turkeys and have shot through very few.A Turkey has really hard bones.I shoot low poundage and Simmons ,4 blade phantoms, snuffers.....you get the idea. Slow the broadhead down with cutting blades not drag.RC

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
I agree with a big, sharp broadhead.  The last one took two arrows and niether went all the way threw.  First shot was at 5 yards.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Terminators or deltas. I had trouble getting through turkeys when I shot twice the speed I shoot now.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Large 160 gr Snuffers....   :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
I use the same thing I use for everything else bigger than a rabbit: 125-grain Ace Standards.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I use the same setup for turkeys as I do for any kind of big game. A 55# Tomahawk bow with a 580 grain arrow that's tipped with a 175 grain Woodsman Elite. This setup is shooting close to the 180 fps mark and has plenty of energy to blow through a turkey.
James Kerr

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Like Joe said,160 snuffers.

RJ

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
Since I've broken my turkey "inx" I've killed 4 in row. First one was with a four blade Phantom...pass thru and the bird dropped on the spot. The other 3 were with Razorcaps. One I hit in the drumsticks and she went about 50 yards before she realized she couldn't go anymore. The other two were shot from a blind and both hit in the wing butt and one went 20 yards and the other was done for in 5 yards. The last 3 were with Razorcaps. All kills were pass thrus. Here's the wound from the last bird I killed in the fall.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I've shot mine with Razorcaps as well.  One broadhead ended up with a bent furrel (125 grain) but they performed well.  Either Snuffers or Tusker Aztecs this year.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©