3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Urethane Finish Question  (Read 201 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Urethane Finish Question
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Whats the Major Difference between Spar Urethane and Minwax Urethane? Good, Bad, Indifferent? Arrows? Just askin...
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Urethane Finish Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
It is a Minwax urethane. The "spar" refers to wooden masts and booms on ships. It's a heavy, high-gloss, UV resistant exterior urethane made to stand up to marine use.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Have used both. Prefer Spar for it's excellent coverage & workability. Get some 000 steel wool & have at it. PM for more if needed.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Spar finishes are formulated for outdoor use and have UV inhibitors and are formulated to expand and contract with the wood's moisture and temp changes.  They make a good bow finish.  Being a softer finish, they are prone to target burn when used on arrows.  I prefer a regular gloss polyurethane for arrows.  Gloss is a harder/tougher finish than the satins.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
It is also easy to repair a ding, or scratch with spar varnish; without removing all the old finish. Most of the non-hardening finishes will show light scratches. Spar is nice on wood bows. Ron LaClair sells some Elite Arrows with Spar Varnish; both are sponsors and may be willing to answer questions.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
I've used both with good results, as bow finishes.  The min-wax products are top notch.
I think a good urethane finish is under rated when compared to other more "durable" type finishes that folks use on their custom or handmade bows.   The ease of "touch-up" or refinishing a urethane finished bow is not something to overlooked, as it's easily done by anybody, and it won't cost an arm or leg to get it done.   Also, I find the finish more than adequate in protecting my bows in the field.   No finish is 100 percent and all have their drawbacks....it's just a matter of deciding what is more important to you as the owner.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Quick question.Does the urethane smells like the tru oil?Because I finishes a used bow  I purchased with tru oil and one monyh later it still smells.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Direct from a pro furniture refinisher....wait a good month before really buffing and polishing. The urethanes have to fully CURE before the true ability to polish is ready.  I tried this and the difference is HUGE!
David M. Conroy

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Thanks Everybody for the Valuable Information! I was using some Spar Urethane on a Table that sits on my Porch, and just wondered how it would work with Arows. Y'all have answered  ALL  my Questions!!  :thumbsup:  
      TRADGANG....  I Thank You  ALL!!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©