3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to remove BAD mothball smell from wool?  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
How to remove BAD mothball smell from wool?
« on: October 24, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
Hey guys.  I bought some vintage wool hunting pants on ****.  To say I'm not pleased is an understatement:

The condition of the garments was superb, and they had NO odour on arrival.  BUT, I wore the pants and when they got moist from sweat, (hunting) they started to smell like mothballs - BAD!  So I tried washing them with Scent-Away detergent.  Saturating them in water made it worse!!  (I did some googling, and one person said that washing fibers that "have been" stored with mothballs RELEASES the mothball odour.)    :(     Now the whole house smells horrible, and people are getting headaches!  The clothes are 'airing' outside, but this isn't a permanent fix.

I'm not worried about shrinkage right now (I bought the pants huge), but I was hoping somebody would know what they may have been treated with (i.e. naphthalene/mothball/naphtha).  Several local drycleaners tell me they don't know of a way to do it effectively.

Should I try making the home-made scent-killer spray? (   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=037927#000002   )  My H.S. Scent-A-Way spray seemed to work a bit on part of the wool, but it would be SO expensive.  What about "Dryell" home-dry-cleaning products, or even Febreeze?  Or, do I need something containing Triclosan-containing products?

Thanks.
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline Caribou Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to remove BAD mothball smell from wool?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
Try spraying them down with Dead Down Wind E3.

Offline Al Snow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
Hang them in direct sunlight for awhile.  That's always worked for me.

Offline Naked in NH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
Napthalene has a reasonable vapor pressure.  Heat might help drive out the smell.  I'd soak them in saturated baking soda solution then throw them in the dryer with a little extra baking soda when it's near dry.

Or try Al's suggestion (Hi Al).
-pablo
making shavings in the 603

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
I had a pair of European surplus pants that smelled like mothballs when I opened the box and they were bone dry. I washed them and as you said the smell only became worse. So I soaked them in the washing machine with sent-a-way detergent and a very liberal amount of oxy-clean (maybe a cup) for almost 48 hours. After that I let them air dry on the porch and then rewashed them as I do the rest of my hunting clothes. After they dried I did not notice anymore smell, but I have not washed them again only gotten them wet from dew and other ground moister.

Not to hijack your thread maybe it should be its own, but does anyone wash their wool often as a method of sent control, or do you use cover scents.
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline Naked in NH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »
...or just put them in the dryer as is and see what happens first.
-pablo

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »
"How to remove BAD mothball smell?"

First you spread their little legs...

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 04:13:00 PM »
My experience has been with baking soda.  Soak in baking soda water over night, at least, then wash.  Spin dry in washer and hang in sunlight in open air.  Repeat process about two or three times and you should have it.

Best of luck
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Wow, thaks for all your quick replies.  Keep 'em comin'.

Woodsman, I wash my gear that has touched my skin (my underwear, X-Scent long underwear, X-Scent gloves, wool and X-Scent socks, and headnet) after every hunt.  My outer layers I usually wash after several hunts - or if I've really sweated in them.
Bow:

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
My wife said to put them in the freezer. She said you can do it with shoes to get the stink out of them. If that don't work have them dry cleaned.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
I had some surplus wool that had mothball smell.
I dumped a box of baking soda on them and rubbed it in as best I could. then I hung them out in the sun for a few days.
That did it.

Next time I washed them there was no mothball smell.

Offline Al Snow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
Hi, Pabs!  Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »
Update:

I had thrown in my socks/undergarments with the pants, too, (so they stank) so I air-dried all the stuff in the sun today after using Febreeze on everything except for using H.S. Scent-A-Way on two socks.  They certainly dried, and on most items it was hard to detect the smell.   :)   The polypropelene underwear had the most residual scent next to the wool pants.  The X-Scent (silver) garments were scent-free - when DRY, that is.

So I soaked undergarments in the washine machine to test them.  I also put vinegar... and then baking soda, and let them sit.

They smell again.

It's not as bad as before, but I've got to assume I'll be sweating in them, and they'll get wet, therefore "releasing" this smell.

:(

Any thoughts?
Bow:

Bowstring:

Offline Naked in NH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »
Skip the vinegar.  Just baking soda.  All the vinegar is going to do is destroy the baking soda.

Dryer.  Baking soda.
-pablo

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Update:
It's been awhile (a year I guess), and just wanted to let those interested know:

I tried all the remedies suggested here.  Nothing worked.  So after hanging these pants outside on the line OVER THE WHOLE SASKATCHEWAN WINTER... they still had a bit of the mothball smell!  I then threw them in the pond in front of the house --yeah the one with lots of algae and weeds and frogs.  After only a couple days, I took them out, rinsed them off, and they smelled like...

...a pond.

After that, one washing with scent-free detergent got rid of all the napthalene smell (and the pond smell).  I'm guessing all the little natural bacteria did the trick better than any man-made products.

I'm happy!
Bow:

Bowstring:

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
See if there is an Ozone Scent removal place in your town. They treat it for an hour and it's completely scent free. than after you've done that......
Don't use mothballs use red cedar shavings.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
Good thing to know.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 02:19:00 AM »
Cool, Thanks!
Bow:

Bowstring:

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
The only sure way that I know of is dry-cleaning. That isn't what you wanted to know, I imagine. The dry-cleaning smell will ultimately come out with airing.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Put em in a bag with an open can of sardines.  Won't notice the mothball small after that.
  :bigsmyl:  
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©