3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Tip Damage Advise Please  (Read 1119 times)

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Tip Damage Advise Please
« on: January 15, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
I’ve noticed some hairline fractures in the tips of my bow.  The cracks are where the reinforced tip material hits the limb lam wood.  I have included some photos; I will not name the bowyer but would like some thoughts before I take action.  It looks like there is a graphite layer in there where it is seperating.  If people think this looks normal or it you think it is because I have been too rough on the bow I would like to know that also.  There are small scratches and nicks on the tips of the bow, I have hunted it..  Thanks for your thoughts.

Andrew

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Tip Damage Advise Please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Call and ask the bowyer. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:15:00 AM »
That tip looks like it has hit things when it was shot.
I would ask the Bowyer how much he will charge to repair it it it was me.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
That tip looks kinda beat up.  Maybe a combination of abuse and a weak spot is causing it?
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
It looks more beat up in the photos than it is.  It has two long scratches in it that are my bad, but some of the marks that look bad are just the graphite weave reflecting funny. Also it is occuring on both tips in the same layer.  I can only remember lightly hitting a smalish limb with the lower tip once while shooting.  I have rested it on the ground, but the seperation is more then just superficial scratches.  The bow has never been dry fired. Thanks for your imput.
Andrew

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
9 mile , Is that water buffalo on the tips , if so buffalo has a tendency sometimes to seperate between layers of growth . If this is the case its no big deal, nothing a bit of Cyanoacrylate( super glue) wont fix real easily.

Offline BowsnLabs @ work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm interested too - I have the same problem with a tip on one of my longbows.  How do you get super glue into a hairline crack so small?  

I've been told Loctite 420 is the stuff to use but still don't see how I'd get any in there.  Thanks.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Cyanoacrylate will flow into a small hailine crack very well if you have the right viscosity glue , to thick and it wont flow into the crack.
Loctite 420 is a good one and flows just fine but there are others out there that are the same stuff that work as well but cost less. We sell one called Grip CA that cost 1/2 of Loctite.
Super glue is probably like aspirin, one company makes it and others sell it at a higher price ( name brand).

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Ted thanks for the input.  They are water buffalo tips and it sure looks like a growth layer up close. I will get back on what the bowyer says.
Andrew

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©