3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buffalo help  (Read 158 times)

Offline Stoneyb488

• Trad Bowhunter
Buffalo help
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I am having trouble tuning my buffalo. Everything I shoot ends up with the nock kicking up. I have set the nock point from 1/8" to 3/4" and set the tiller to 1/8" longer on the top. I am shooting gt 3555 and 5575 and carbon express piledriver 350's. Also it is 55# peak weight. Any advice would be grateful

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buffalo help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
If you shoot split finger, I would ask if you tend to pull a lot with your bottom-most finger (3rd finger).  A callous on that finger from shooting would be an obvious sign.  That causes the arrow to snap toward the shelf at release, banging on the shelf and showing knock-high.

I have that problem, and that is what it does to my bareshafting.  I have to make sure that I pull predominantly with index and middle fingers, since my natural tendency is to pull hard with the 3rd.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
What is your brace height?
What is your draw length, and finally what is your point weight?

How about the string the bow came with? Is it the one the Gentle Giant is sending the bow with?

Good luck,
Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Are you shooting split or three under?  If you're shooting 3 under just try the tiller near even to see what happens - I did this to mine by backing the bolt out of my bottom limb (about 1/2 a turn for me) - you might want to try that either way.  Also, if you're canting the bow it may be that you're arrow is actually too weak, giving the appearance of an arrow flying nock high.  I feel like my Buff likes a relatively stiff arrow - I'm shooting 2117s and axis 400s out of it, its a 50# peak and I draw 27".  Let me know if none of that makes sense - I've had good luck with the Buffalo and converted my compound buddy on one - I tuned his pretty quickly too.  Hang in there I'm sure lots of advice is on the way.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Stoneyb488

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under and have tried even tiller.. Points 100 to 250

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Are you bareshafting? If so, just shoot your normal nocking height and ignore it. Fletch an arrow and try it out. Chances are it will shoot fine.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Stoneyb488

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Yes I am bareshafting. I will try it with a fletched arrow.

Offline Stoneyb488

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
I the string off of my 60" jaguar on it and found an old 3555 fletched with a 100 grain point and shot it.. Flew like a dart.. The carbon express's still had a slight kick to them I'm guessin that will straighten out with fletchings.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Some people torgue the bowstring when they pull it back and the most common symptom of this is a false knock high reading.  (arrow bouncing off the shelf)

You should watch some of the videos about release on the "Form" forum here.  

I had the same problem with my Buffalo and finally figured out it was me not the bow or arrows.  You need your string arm and hand completely tension free--relaxed if you will from the elbow down.  This takes some time and dedicated blind bale shooting.  But the only tension in you hand/arm should be what it takes for your fingers to hold the string--for this reason a deep finger groove actually helps many people because it requires less tension on your hand than with the string near the tips of your fingers.    Your goal is relax--tension free.  You back muscles do the pulling and the string straightens your arm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©