3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: skinny strings and weak spines  (Read 171 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
skinny strings and weak spines
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I bought a skinny string from oliverstacy (great string and craftsmanship BTW) I went from a 16 strand to a 10 strand and the performance differences are crazy. The problem I'm having now is that my arrows are showing weak. Anybody have this problem? I draw 30.5 so cutting down arrows is usually not an option. Gonna have to make a change I guess...oh well, Thats trad archery for ya!  :D  

Jason

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: skinny strings and weak spines
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
i would lower my brace height a 'smidgen' and see what happens.
After that didn't work i would build out my side plate a 'scosh' and see what happens.
after that didn't work i would buy new arrows spined a 'tad' stiffer.
bill
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I shoot a silvertip recurve 54# at 28" drawing 30.5"  I figure I'm pulling around 58#. What aluminum or carbon would y'all recommended? I had to put a 14 strand string back on just to get my arrows to fly half way decent.

Thanks Jason

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:07:00 PM »
Build out your side plate a little, it's all you'll need to do and it'll save you a pile of money on arrows you don't need.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
Before you build out  LOWER your brace hight. By lowering your brace hight you will make your arrows act stiffer  do to the angle to the riser, check out the fallowing it should explain it.
  http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270801&highlight=lower+brace  

you can always raise you brace if you don't get the resolts you want and then change other things But start with the simple things  first.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bldtrailer:
Before you build out  LOWER your brace hight. By lowering your brace hight you will make your arrows act stiffer  do to the angle to the riser, check out the fallowing it should explain it.
  http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270801&highlight=lower+brace  

you can always raise you brace if you don't get the resolts you want and then chage other things But start with the simple things  first.
I've heard this debate many times and respectfully disagree with you.  

The thing wrong with the arrow angle theory is you are not factoring in the paradox....In a high performance bow, a lower brace keeps the arrow on the string longer, transfers more energy to the shaft, and puts more flex in the arrow than a higher brace does.

The only exception to this rule would be a lower poundage deep core straight limb bow like an ELB or a Hill style where a lot more of the limb is moving forward. These lighter bows that are not cut to center on the shelves shooting over spined arrows would exhibit stiffer at lower brace.

a heavier poundage bow with well matched spine will show weaker at a lower brace regardless of the design.

Just pad your strike plate out an 1/8" and that should do it.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Skinny strings transfer more of the bow's energy to the arrow. That transfer of energy requires a stiffer spine in the arrow. It also results in higher speed, etc.

I use a six-strand skinny string on bows in the 50-51 pound range and get better performance and speed than I used to get from my 63# bow with a standard string. And I need a stiffer spine too.

Experiment around, you will find what the bow likes.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
I love the performance advantages of skinny strings but now I have to spend more money on arrows...bummer!   :D   Now I just need to figure out what I need. My problem is I don't have a bow shop around close to play with arrows. Anybody have any suggestions?

Refer to post above!

Thanks guys, Jason

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
A GT trad full length 75/95 w/ around 200 grs up front should get you in the ball park. Also try a 2219 at 31.5" w/ about a 150gr tip or a 2216 w/ a 125gr tip. They should get you close depending on shelf cut.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©