3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to switch to 3 under help!  (Read 160 times)

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Want to switch to 3 under help!
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
After watching Masters of the Barebow I would like to try 3 under release but shot a few shots and it made my bow very loud. Is there any way to take that away or do you have to live with it?
How far should I move my nock point up.
Thanks for any tips.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Old Vet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to switch to 3 under help!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
Three under generally requires the nock to be 1/16th to 1/8th inch higher than shooting split. You may also want to experiment with nock set over the arrow and a second nock set under the arrow. If a nock set under the arrow bothers you, tie on a stop knot with dental floss or serving thread. On some bows the under arrow nock or knot is needed to keep the nock from running down the string at the release. Arrow flight will tell you when you are set up correctly. On a 58" bow, even a small change will make a big difference.

Many times the louder bow when switching to three under is the fact that every thing is closer to your ear. When you are getting good arrow flight, have someone stand about 3 feet to the side and see if the bow is really noisey or if it is just the difference in what you perceive.
" Aim small....miss small"
Dwyer Dauntless; Black Widow PSA & PA; Mike Sullivan "Shadow" Recurve.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
What Old Vet said X2......

Plus.....playing with the brace height a bit may fix some of the noise on some bows and on other  bows you may have to retune a bit.

Also....To get a true feeling for three under you should stick with it only for a few weeks. Jumping back and forth can really screw up your shooting both ways.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
I would only add that sometimes moving any silencers you have on the string around may also help. I found that when shooting 3 under if I move the sliencers in towards the center of the string a bit it helped.

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Well said by Old Vet, mine sounded alot louder also when I shot it, but when someone else shoots it and I'm next to them, it sounds fine.  Good luck, switching to 3 under was worth the adjustments to me.....DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I've always shot 3 under. I have loosed a few arrows with the split finger method and everything around(execpt the target) was it danger  :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
i agree with mongoose .i started with 3under and tryed splitfinger.split was like stickin my finger in my eye.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
More than 40 years shooting three under for me.  One tip I tell thouse trying this style out is try not to put to much pressure on that third finger, the lighter the better.  I actually started shooting two fingers under when I broke my ring finger years ago.  When it healed I added the third finger on the string and found when putting equal pressure on all three fingers my arrow  flight was not as good.
habujohn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©