3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Adhesive?  (Read 402 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Adhesive?
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I shoot from the shelf, and I typically use some type of skin like beavertail, seal, or other 'natural' product to apply on the shelf and window. I've used a variety of adhesives with differing results...some not very darned good! I'm looking for an adhesive which holds very securely in wet weather (think Alaska) and is strong. It must hold leather to finished wood. Finally, it must not damage the bow upon removal.

I simply can't tolerate having my rest peeling back for any reason. I need an adhesive that holds, and doesn't fail...period.
I'd like to know what you use/recommend. If you have a specific prep or technique, share that too. Thanks.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Adhesive?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Barge cement.
Apply to both surfaces and apply heavy presure to secure.
on the shelf/strike plate I will use a shaft of some sort(arrow,screw driver,scribe) to roll the piece on,like a mimi-rolling pin. Lots of presure in a small area.
Never been to AK. though.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
X 2 on Barges

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
X3 barge cement didn't have a problem in Alaska last year on my caribou hunt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
x4 Barge

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
X5 Barge. Put sealskin on my bows years ago and its still holding strong.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
6x barge
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
I like the "old" barge (with the distinct smell of a leather worker's shop), but I'm not too crazy about the new stuff.  Does'nt stick as well for me.   Silicone will work well....caulking like the kind you buy to seal plumbing or coat gaskets.  Just get the 100 percent silicone and not the acrylic blended stuff.  

There are other contact type cements...like barge...that will also work.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Holy cow! It's a Barge landslide...I'm not surprised. I used Barge a number of years ago. Like Mark, I wasn't real impressed with my results. Maybe I'll do a test application before trusting it.

Silicone: I know it will stick and stick well. Mark, do you suppose it presents any problems when it comes to removal? Finish damage? The best thing about silicone is its 100% waterproofness.

Thanks guys....

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
If it was easy, then it would'nt be such a good adhesive, now would it?  :biglaugh:  

Seriously, though, It peels off without any damage, but may take a bit more than just rolling it off like you can with barge.  At least thats been my experience so far.  

Another "solution" to the barge cement that lifts at the corners, etc. is to pack (which I do anymore, anyway, for first aid) a small tube of super glue.   The little bit you use to stick down a lifting corner can be cleaned up later with acetone.....carefully, because it will damage a finish as well.   Later, when it comes time to replace the leather strike or sideplate, you should be able to hide any areas that discolor or show from the use of the acetone.  I still like the silicone idea though.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Barge cement works great.  The big advantage is is works like contact cement and doesn't require clamping.  With silicon you'd have to figure out how to clamp it down until it's fully cured.  I've use it, but it's a PITA.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
I like 2-sided adhesive tape. The clear colored version works extremely well and any left on the bow when changing your rest can be "rolled" off with a fingertip. It doesn't lay as "flat" as a glue but it holds tight.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mark Baker:
If it was easy, then it would'nt be such a good adhesive, now would it?   :biglaugh:  
Okay...I tossed you a high slow one there. I do need stick-appeal which doesn't peel. I'm going to try Barge first with careful technique. Silicone next.

My adventures with double-sided tape have been double-crossed. I've done well with it at times. I've also had leather peel away from the adhesive, leaving me with a nice sticky shelf.

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Barge, for me.... I havent used much else though....DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Another vote for Barge cement
James Kerr

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Carpet tape? That's a creative mind at work. I'm pretty sure you get that stuff at Lowes or other home store...right? Let's see: a 42' roll of it for arrow rests...I might have couple feet left over when I'm "finished".

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
3-M used to make a two sided tape that you used a gun to apply, where the paper peeled off, and it left the residue....that stuff worked great, but I don't know where to get it anymore.  That was years ago....it's not unlike the "booger" stickem stuff that is used in junk mail.  If you could find that, you might have something.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Barge, no prob with adhesion

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
I use two sided tape now but have had mixed results with it. Over the last 5-6 years I have shot 1000's of arrows with great results and I have shot very few arrrows before it goes bye bye.
I have used a couple kinds but I don't know if I have used the kind Brandon posted.
I will give it a try.

I do like the silicone caulk as well but that stuff will leave a mark.

I still think that barge will meet most of your criteria, BUT, I have never used the new kind.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©