3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do I gain by going heavier?  (Read 521 times)

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do I gain by going heavier?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
Well let me ask this question.  If you could really control and shoot well, a heavier bow, say 70#s, would you hunt it or your 48 pound bow?  

I'll be 58 years old next month.  I'm shooting 80#s right now - quite well.  Do I need to shoot 80#s?  No.  Will I stop?  Only if I have too.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Groundhunter,

I'd shoot a heavier bow, no question.  If it weren't for the cost factor, the only limiting factor would be the health of my shoulders.  I already have a 60# recurve that I shoot whenever I want, with no problems or lack of control.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Archie, I think you have answered your own question.  Use your head and work up slowly, its not a race.  There are a number of threads on this site where folks talk about how they gained bow weight.  Go slow.  No brain - No gain.  Used bows are a good option.  But, hunt only - ONLY - when you are ready with the bow.  Good luck, I think you will do well.

Offline Steve95

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
If money is the issue, then don't order a new bow. Your set up is plenty enough. Times are a changing and you might be surprised that you might really need a lighter bow. I know I seem to be going that way.
Maybe you should try making a self bow. Good luck.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
I wouldn't change a thing, if I were you.  48@31" with any modern longbow is enough juice to hunt moose.  

A wiser man once said "Penetration into the ground behind the animal is wasted effort.".
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
You have a long draw, and that long power stroke can trump a shorter draw with more weight. A bow that fits right and feels right is a blessing -- and it sounds like that is exactly what you have right now. The curiosity and thrill of getting a new bow is pretty hard to beat, but a bow that is "just right" is far more important. With your long draw length you get great performance. If it were me, I would love to try a new bow, but I would probably know that I have a winner already -- and I would resist the temptation.

But that's me.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Technically speaking (this is conjecture, not fact and i am no expert) any bow of the same make pulled to the same draw shooting the same gpp arrow (48#=480 grns, 58#=580grns) should shoot the same trajectory (arrow speed will most likely be the same) with similiar bow noise and feel.  The only gain I can think of would be an increase in kinetic energy and better penetrating capabilies at longer ranges.  Using my comepletely made up theory I used an online KE calculator to assume that your are now shooting 10gpp arrows(480gr) at 180fps-the KE for this setup would be 34.54.  Your new bow will shoot a 580gr arrow at the same 180 fps with KE being 41.74. (a 20% gain in weight and KE) If your bow happens to be FAST and it shoots these arrows at 195fps the KE goes from 40.5 to 48 which is only a 19% gain in KE for the 20% gain in weight.  As most experts will tell you a KE of 25 is needed to kill deer with at least 40 recommended for elk and larger game; however I'm certain testimonies can be given of dead animals with much less KE.  I'm sure you are all just as confused as I am right now.  

So to answer your question Archie-I think the only things you would gain would be a tiny bit of regret and a lighter wallet....all of which I try to avoid.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 07:53:00 PM »
Remember that a 48@31 bow is going to sling an arrow as fast as a 60@28 bow shooting the same weight arrow.  You have more than enough power for any elk, moose, hog, or black bear. A lower weight wil be a lot easier on you, especially if you have to draw after sitting in the cold for a while, or need to hold at full draw for any length of time.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
For what is worth I am trying to work my way up.I don't know why but shooting a lighter bow after you you work your way up a little, seems like you are handling a kids toy(not that a 45 pound bow is a toy,but you know what I mean)
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
If I was looking at this same dilema , I would go heavier on my arrow set up not bow set up. As said before optimize your arrow and you will gain far more then if you increase bow weight. This is all just mu opinion of course. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
If I remember right, I'm shooting about 650 grain arrows.  (I've been fiddling with my arrow set-up a bit.)  I've never chrono'd a bow, so don't know what kind of speed I'm getting.  

I really do have a fantastic bow already.  Not only is it as smooth as butter to shoot and shoot and shoot, but it is (in my opinion) the prettiest Black Widow longbow I've ever seen.  If she were 53#, I wouldn't be asking this question; she would be the ONE.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
AAHH but if she was 53 she might not be the one either . I have a long draw like you and shoot low 40's bows which get about the same as you are getting. I have complete faith in my set up and know it will get the job done.The arrows I have just set up for hogs are 850 gr and shoot about 140 fps but the fly great and are acurate . They hit like a ton of bricks and sail right through animals.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
I believe that what you have now will do the trick......but.......I also believe that a person should hunt with the most draw weight that they can shoot accurately with. The extra umph is bound to help with bad shots on big bone, etc.

Bisch

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I believe that what you have now will do the trick......but.......I also believe that a person should hunt with the most draw weight that they can shoot accurately with. The extra umph is bound to help with bad shots on big bone, etc.

Bisch
Well said.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Archie,

Your getting plenty of knowledgeable responses, but the one thing I haven't seen mentioned is that some states have a minimum draw weight requirement for different large game animals.  Alaska has a 50lb minimum draw weight on Moose.  I believe 45lb on boo, black bear and deer.  Just another variable for your equation.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Wow, Chromebuck... I guess I didn't realize that!  I lived in Fairbanks for over 20 years, and even as a teen didn't hunt with a bow less than 50 pounds, so this was a moot point back then, and the rule never stuck in my mind.  Ha!  You'd think I would have known that...

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by looper:
Remember that a 48@31 bow is going to sling an arrow as fast as a 60@28 bow shooting the same weight arrow.  You have more than enough power for any elk, moose, hog, or black bear. A lower weight wil be a lot easier on you, especially if you have to draw after sitting in the cold for a while, or need to hold at full draw for any length of time.
Looper, is there a formula used to make that calculation?  I'd be curious to run some numbers on my draw length and poundage to compare with a 28in draw.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
I have really enjoyed the responses posted on this thread. A lot of guys have wisely pointed out that you don't necessarily need a heavier bow. I understand the idea of wanting a heavier bow if you are going to get an appropriate performance return. It seems that you already are squared away on the need and methodology of training up carefully for a heavier bow.The suggestion that you look for a used bow of the type you are already shooting make sense since cost is a prominent factor. You have a fun dilemma, because you won't be making a mistake, whichever choice you decide on. I look forward to hearing which way you go on this.
Sam

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
As one who is on the downward slide of weight, almost any bow will bring home the bacon on a good hit.  The heavier bow will blow through some marginal hit that the lighter bow will bounce off.  Pending your age & health, you can always come back to the lighter bow...but you ain't going back up later in life  :)   tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by GrayRhino:

Originally posted by looper:
Looper, is there a formula used to make that calculation?  I'd be curious to run some numbers on my draw length and poundage to compare with a 28in draw. [/b]
Here is a link to a thread where this was recently discussed:  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112585;p=1  . Look specifically at John Havard's posts.

I might be a pound or two off up or down when I say that 48@31 will equal 60@28, but I've concluded that a good rule of thumb is to add 4# for every inch over 28" to get an equivalent poundage. So a 50@29 would equal a 54@28, a 50@30 would equal a 58@28, etc.

If you go to the A&H Archery site and look at the bow performance section, you can find a lot of useful information.  http://www.acsbows.com/bowperformance.html

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©