3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Makin' Bacon  (Read 773 times)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Makin' Bacon
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I hope you run clean out of broadheads!  :D

Online AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Snake chaps or boots.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Practice your 5-12 yard shots! Good flashlight for blood trailing, rubber gloves,cooler with ice, sharp broadheads, oh yeah, thermacell(they actually aren't that bad, yet)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
We have a few hogs around.

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
ME !!!!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
I didn't see arrows on the list   :)

Good luck, have fun   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Leaving good ol' Nc in the morning!! Stay posted, ill update with stories and pics Lord willing!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Armand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
I am headed to Florida with my Fiance and her girls in April, doing the tourist things but i just happened to pick up a Bear TD A-Riser that will be well hidden in the vehicle and wow what a surprise it will be for everyone when i find that down there, my idea of a adventure park will be cruising for snakes to shoot while i am there and checking out the local trad shops and meeting some local shooters

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Good luck and good hunting!
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
I am heading down to hunt with Jim in 10 days...time for a Thermacell refill  :)  Good luck on the piggies!
Mike Davenport

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Heading to stands around 5 pm today, we'll keep you posted.....
Irv saw 17 hogs last night!!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Got some blood on the ground......!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Just got back home fellas, Got some cool stories to tell when i get time tommorow. Great time had by all! Updates to follow...

:campfire:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Dalton playing the waiting game.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
Ready for pics

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Ive got so many stories from this trip is unreal!

I cant tell my 2 "success" stories until Irv can get home and send me the pics on those.

But i can start off with just a story or 2 from this trip.

On the first day, we were absolutely giddy to get started. Being 4 Mountain boys we were expecting it to be unbearably hot, suprisingly it wasnt it was really nice the constant breeze in my face in the stand was very welcome.

Jim and I headed out about 430 5 to a stand they call the "tripod" stand. I was very excited and even more excited to see the ground under the feeder absolutely tilled up.

We get up in the tree, and hadnt been there long when i get a text from my buddy cory: "Got himmmmmm" i laughed and told Jim he said "tell him to shoot another one!" Well, about 2 minutes later i get a text from Brad Scott,(one in our group) and my Father Allen, both saying something to the tune of "pig down one time" I chuckled and told Jim, he couldnt believe it! 3 hogs in about 7 minutes! My kinda place!!

To beat all it wasn't 10 minutes later i get a text from Dad and cory saying they had smoked another! geeeeezz! Jim really couldnt beliecve it!!

At that point i wasnt stupid, i realized Jim's concern and told them to hold off lol! You when you put 3 killers in a tree with a bunch of unpressured pigs, throw corn into the mix and you have a sure fire recipe for death and carnage! that is what happened!!!

Back to my hunt.

Well i was sitting there waiting almost-patiently when i caught movement on my right, i spotted a black form coming through the trees right at me. My heart immediatley went to 3321 Mph and i reached for my ol' lovely Howatt, then i blew the whistle to jim, who had just spyed it himself.

I thought to my self, let them calm down, pick a spot, and let er rip.

I found it humurous that when the form cleared the brush in front of my sstand, a beautiful Ocseola hen was standing there. Oh and by there im mean, 3 feet from my tree which i was 5-7 ft up in.

Very cool thing to see!! She didnt feel the same way apparently as she tore off in a hasty retreat.

We laughed and went back to scanning.

Right at dark, im enjoying the tons of booming gobbles coming from the roosting toms, when i hear this weird huffing noise,coupled with the sound of something coming through the weeds, i guess I was in a daze because it took a minute to realize  i was about to see my first hog. O and by hog i mean a 250#plus boar.  

I grabbed my bow again but just as soon as i got a glimpse of him, he caught our wind and was OUTTA there. Too, bad i thought, but i was thankful to have got to see such a beast.

Stayed tuned, time to go to flippin class

:banghead:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
sounds like a good time was had by all and looking forward to some more stories.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
This is exciting, and I was there!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
The next morning we got out before daylight to our stands, this time i was in what they call the "East Grove" stand.

No hogs were sighted, but the beautiful sunrise, and at least 6 toms going off made it worth getting up. O and i saw at least 1200 mosquitos that could stand flatfooted and choke a turkey. You think I'm kidding....lol

This is the stand were my dad killed 2 the night before. O yeah, forgot to put the stats on the first night,

Cory-Saw at least 20, shot 2, recovered one, (it was about 35-40# EATER!)  (2nd shot was too high and too forward we believe)

Brad-Saw 6, shot 1. (125# boar)

Dad-Saw 41, smoked 2. 2nd shot was a spine hit, the thing was trying to kill him as he finished it with a knife, quite comical i might add, watching my dad about lose his nuts by one ticked off sow (she was about 125#)

Me- Saw a monster, no shots on hogs, but chasing armadillos wit flashlights with cory and jim after dark was awesome! i never hit one though sadly lol.

BUT- i didn't get lucky on the first night, but suprising success would find its way to me shortly

:archer:    :goldtooth:   :read it:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
:clapper:  

Class can wait, we want more now! Great so far!

Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©