3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It's all over but the waiting (Bamabow for me)  (Read 368 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
It's all over but the waiting (Bamabow for me)
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
Last week I was trying to get my wife to listen to how I was going to afford a longbow, when she finally couldn't take it any longer and said, "FINE! It was going to be a surprise but I'm getting you one for father's day." I love her. And while I'm sorry I ruined her surprise, it's for the best. Otherwise I would have sold her car or something to finance a new bow.

So, I've been studying and researching for the past few weeks and I decided to go with a hunter model from Nate Steele (bamabows). I've yet to read a negative thing about him or his bows. I really like that style of bow, from my limited experience. So, I called him up today and made it official.

I went with a dark curly maple riser and bamboo limbs. 66" amo and 53# at 28". I can't wait to shoot it.

And an early "thank you" to my beautiful and thoughtful wife.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: It's all over but the waiting (Bamabow for me)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
thats great !!!  congrats.  glad you didnt sell her car. she might have gotten upset over that.        :biglaugh:
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
"would have sold the car"...now that's funny. These are great bows. Best of luck. Pix please.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by straitera:
Pix please.
Will definitely happen once I get it.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Nate makes a fantastic bow, & and is a riot to talk to on the phone. You will be very pleased. He manages to find some beautiful curly maple.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline CANT/SHOOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Awesome! I'm about halfway through my waiting period with Nate right now  :)
----
JD Berry Taipan
Bama Hunter

Swift | Silent | Deadly

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by CANT/SHOOT:
Awesome! I'm about halfway through my waiting period with Nate right now   :)  
Nice! Which one are you getting?

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
You will not be disapointed. I have one of his Hunters and just ordered a T/D version.

The hardest part is the wait...
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Excellent choice, the bow AND the wife!    :bigsmyl:

I was shooting my Bama Royal earlier, and Nate is working on a new 2pc Expedition for me right now. You're gonna love the bow.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
Excellent choice, the bow
I read and read and read and I've seen nothing but glowing reviews. I thought I'd get one while I could because I have no doubt his prices will go up as his name grows.

Originally posted by DannyBows:
AND the wife!  
She's a wall-hanger for sure!    ;)

Believe it or not, she's a hippie yoga instructor. But, she understands hunting and likes to eat wild game.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Just received his Expedition Hunter in 2-piece.  All I can say is wow!  His D/R model has some odd waves through the limb, which I have applicably named "speed bumps".  Darkly stained curly maple riser, bamboo cores, black glass limb overlays, black phenolic nocks with curly maple overlays.  Smokes an arrow like no other longbow I've owned.  Quiet as a church mouse.  Everyone I shoot with always wants to shoot my Bama! This bow is a hunter for sure.  Nate was top shelf to deal with and responded to all my questions and change orders in a timely and polite manner.  Just plain ole good people...  :thumbsup:  

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
 Darkly stained curly maple riser, bamboo cores, black glass limb overlays, black phenolic nocks with curly maple overlays.  
Can you post photos of that? I came up with the exact some color and wood combinations for the hunter I ordered. I'm anxious to see it. I know what it looks like in my head, but I haven't seen a photo of one exactly like that.

And I agree about Nate. So far he has been awesome to deal with. I know next to nothing about traditional but he's patient and helpful in steering me in the right direction.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
My Hunter has a Curly Maple riser I love it great shooting longbow, I also have a Royal and 2 Expeditions Relex/Deflex! You are right a ole Nate he is easy to talk to and your bow will truly be a work of art!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Inder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Hi Chromebuck,

x2 on the pics, Please post them. I am going to put a downpayment ina day or two for expedition hunter and would like to see how your looks in wood combination you chose.

Regarding Nate, I've been in touch with him for sometime now as my friend got his Hunter from him. He is an awesome guy to deal with and very patient with questions. Even with my stupid ones.  :)

-Inder

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Scott,

I can post pics this afternoon (for me).  Couple of additonal comments.  I did have the bamboo cores stained to match the riser and the amount of curley in my maple is very sparse if at all.  Had I ordered a Royal perhaps I would have complained, but when I released that first arrow it was evident this bow would be part of my static collection.  It is an extremely viable hunting instrument.  Unbelievable cast. I'm running Beeman ICS 400 full length(32")with 245 gr. up front.  4" 4 fletch.  Amazing speed and penetration.  It's got to be the "speed bumps".  Nate can give a really intelligent and understandable explanation to his deflex/reflex limb design so I'll save myself the embarassment.  Just ask him...

Pics later,

~CB

Offline CANT/SHOOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]Nice! Which one are you getting? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I ordered this:

Hunter T/D: 64 inch 52# @28"
Limbs: 2 lams of bamboo surrounded by black glass
Riser: Bocote
Riser accent strip: bamboo | cocobolo | bamboo
Riser overlay: cocobolo with bocote on top
tips: phenolic under cocobolo with bocote on top
Grip: Brown Leather sewn on

:)
----
JD Berry Taipan
Bama Hunter

Swift | Silent | Deadly

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
These are a no frills, get it done bow.  Without the two piece option they are under $600.00.  Tried to show the limb profile, but they were too blurry.

~CB

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
These are a no frills, get it done bow.  Without the two piece option they are under $600.00.  Tried to show the limb profile, but they were too blurry.

~CB
I love it! That's exactly what I ordered, except I asked for black leather, and of course mine isn't the takedown version. Thanks for sharing!

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
All you guys with your bows make me jealous, and I'm sure those of you waiting like me are as anxious as I am.

If anybody wants to talk some more about how awesome their Bamabow is, go ahead. I'm going to need all the distractions I can get for the next 8-12 weeks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©