3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Archers Paradox ????  (Read 1434 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
Archers Paradox ????
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
How many yds. does it take for an arrow to straighten out? Wood vs. Carbon? Thanks for the opinions.
David Janssen

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Archers Paradox ????
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Dave,
I believe that to be a combination of several factors.
1. Arrow spline
2. Center cut or no center cut on the bow riser
3. Weight Foward of center on the arrow (similar to spline
4. Smoothness of archer's release (operator error)
5. Amount of influence the feathers have upon spin

Probably others

Probably does not help you....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
carbon recovers faster, dont know how many feet.. My bow with ash shafts topped w/160grn snuffer's around 750grn and in paper @ 5yards jusy a hair upperleft... I'm happy knowing that....

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:39:00 AM »
Part of my criteria for properly tuned bow/arrow is for paradox to disappear.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:51:00 AM »
I could be wrong (it's happened before) but I think the only way for paradox to disappear is for your shelf to be cut to the point that the center of your arrow aligns with the center of your bow.  If the shelf is cut any less then it is a physical necessity for the arrow to shoot "around" the bow and experience Archer's Paradox.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 03:00:00 AM »
And you'd need to use a release. The action of the string rolling off your fingers will always put a lateral movement into the equasion. Even then, at the point of release, th nock end of the arrow will start to move before the point end, creating compression within the shaft & therefore some kinda flex. If it could be eliminated in the lateral plane, ie; with a release aid, you'd still get it in the vertical plane, as with a compound. The only way you could theoretically 'solve' paradox would be to shoot the arrow through a tight fitting tube that would eliminate any flexion in the shaft itself.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks for all your opinions.
David Janssen

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I shoot self-bows in which the arrow pass is not cut anywhere near to center. I have an indoor range of 12 yards and my arrows have straightened by the time they hit the bale.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
David:
The speed in which paradox diminishes with wood arrows depends on the species of wood its made of. Generaly speaking soft woods, Cedar, pine, sitka spruce, doug fir, poplar, and etc. will recover quicker than the hardwoods, Birch, Ash, Maple, purple heart and etc. There is always some sort of trade off with wood shafts. You need to decide what you can live with and what you can't.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
aromakr,
Do you think that is because the soft woods are lighter in weight or is it some other reason? I am thinking that lighter arrows recover faster but I could be wrong.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Paradox doesn't disappear...ever.

An arrow is subject to pressure at the moment of release...and it is never 100% behind the nock, not even with a release.  Even if it were, the difference in mass between the point and nock end of the shaft would force the shaft to bend because of inertia.  Much better that the shaft bend in a predictable direction.  It's about controlling paradox and working with it, not trying to eliminate it.

Wood oscillates more noticably than carbon.  Aluminum seems to be on par with wood.  

Honestly, I can't see a reason to worry about paradox in flight.  Reducing noodling on impact would have a much greater impact on the efficiency of your setup.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
poekoelan:
Soft woods are just more responsive to recovery, I think its due more to the nature of the fibers than weight, but that just my thoughts someone might have more information on the subject.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Jeff is correct...paradox always occurs as a result of acceleration.   Proper tuning is simply managing the paradox by selecting the right spine.   There is a noticeable difference, though, in shaft material and how quickly they recover from the paradox.   I shoot big fletchings and that helps too.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
I agree with what you said above Mark, but I'd add that Paradox also occurs from deceleration.  It is the severe change in velocity that creates the paradox effect upon the shaft.  What we as hunters attempt to achieve is a controlled paradox effect as the arrow leaves the bow and as little paradox as possible once that arrow hits the targeted animal.  Bending of the arrow at the moment of impact steals energy away from the cutting edge and reduces penetration.  That is largely why we shoot high Forward of center arrows; we want all that mass in the front of the arrow near the cutting surface thus avoiding the weakness of the arrow shaft to steal energy when bone needs to be breached.

I personally enjoy shooting center cut longbows (Black Widow) with stiff Axis 300 shafts and loaded with 350 to 400 grains up front.  The arrow does not have to bend much to get around the riser and is quite stiff at the moment of impact.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©