3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you field dress or go gutless on Elk?  (Read 827 times)

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you field dress or go gutless on Elk?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you do for "proof of sex" (where required) with the gutless method?

Thanks!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
good question
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by fnshtr: Don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you do for "proof of sex" (where required) with the gutless method? Thanks!
yeah evidence of sex naturally attached???
good question
Kevin Day

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Where required leave them attached to one hindquarter just like the regs ask you to. Check your local requirements, they will vary from state to state as to sex requirements and how much meat is allowed on the carcass.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I gotta kill one first, but I'm definitely going gut-less for elk.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
Gutless is the best and only way to do it for me and mine now.

I grew up cutting elk in half just behind the ribs then split the back bone to accomodate the saddle horn through the hide. It was usually 1/2 elk per horse with leds cut off at the knees ass tie downs. With deer we made a notch between ribs and slid it over the saddle horn and tied the head back to prevent horning, cutting and using the legs in the same fashion.

Now it is so much easier to leave the non edibles on the mountain.

We've found that by cutting the last 3 ribs at the spine with the same snips we use for trimming shooting lanes we can have FULL ACCESS to the inside tenders.

I use 3 knives to do it all. An old schrade to skin, and two fillet knives.

It is all good stuff right there!!!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Always gutted but after reading the post will try gutless. Sounds like it will save alot of time and wear and tear on my 63 year old back. Also my sons back   :bigsmyl:

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:00 AM »
No experience with elk, but with moose we skin one side, take the quarters off, then backstraps, ribs, tenderloins and neck meat.  Then turn it over and repeat laying all the meat on a clean tarp.  

Never boned out a moose in the field since we were never too terribly far from transport (boat, atv, or truck).

We leave evidence of sex attached to one of the hindquarters.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ringneck:
If I am packing it out it gets boned on the spot. Agreed on the sharp knife and I would add edge retention and stability to that requirement as well.
I like the way you think...  Especially after a trip to your website.

Which model is it in the pic that shows "desert ironwood".  Didn't see it in you line up.  I like that one a lot.

I'm pretty well sold on D2 after using a Benchmade Snody Activator the last 3 years.  I've got the scratch for an Ingram right now, but I'd feel better giving it to a guy who live Traditional.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
If you want to do the gutless method bring along your favourite skinner but also bring along a butchers "boning" knife.  It works so much better for getting the meat off the bones.  After all if a butcher uses a boning knife all day long instead of a skinning knife there must be a reason for it.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Depends on how far back in I am. Most elk I get are not close to roads and I do the "gutless" method. If I can take one out whole I will to get a better yield on the meat. You can loose alot more meat than you think by quatering one up. My favorite method is to use a tractor's bucket to load them.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
We always go gutless now.  The first three elk our group got back in the 90's were gutted and taken out whole - what a PITA.  We wouldn't think of doing that now.  We strip the bones pretty well and don't leave much for the critters.  Quarters, back straps, tenderloins and neck meat all make it out.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
If you have to carry him then it is the gutless method.  The easiest way for us is to cable them out.  For that you need to leave the hide on or there won't be much meat left after dragging.  The best part is there is always a good story after you drag an Elk for a mile through some rough country.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
When I am buy myself it would be a lot harder to gut. I usally can have an elk ready to go on a horse or in a pack in an hour or less by myself. Working on the half of the animal that is exposed and then flipping it over is much easier.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
I've only hunted elk once and wasn't successful, but I do the gutless method on all deer I shoot.  To me, there is not much meat lost.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
In my very limited experience, gutless is the only way to go.

Google "gutless elk" and several videos and webpages will pop up. here's a pretty good one:

http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/
Romans 8:28

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Gutless...is the ticket.

The one thing is bring knives, not knife.  Elk hair will chew through blade edges like crazy.  I have always taken care of downed elk as a team and by the time we are done, most of the knives are close to useless.  Of course you could re-edge them in the field, but I prefer to just grab the next knife as the packing out job is in the queue.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
The 3 Elk that I have harvested in New Mexico we were able to get a Pickup close and get my Elk back to a cool building to cut up. Those we gutted. In Utah I was away from all roads so we cut up on site and packed out the meat. On a Yukon Moose Hunt I also cut up on site and packed out the meat.
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Zradix asked how to remove the tenderloins when using the gutless boning method.  Personally I skin out one side of the elk, leave the front and rear quarters attached and just start boning meat away from the carcus.  I put each piece of boned out meat into a game bag to the side so it stays clean.  I can bone out all the meat from the quarters without removing the quarters from the main body (saves time and energy not having to cut thru the joint).  After removing the backstrap (42" long backstaps on my bull last fall) I locate the tenderloin and insert one hand under the rear rib and backbone and slide my hand forward about 4" until I can feel where the tenderloin is connected to the underside of the rib cage/backbone.  I then carefully insert my other hand with my knife and cut where it connects.  Be very careful at this stage to not pierce any of the innards.  The connection at the rear of the tenderloin is fully exposed and easy to cut and remove.  I then flip the elk over on it's other side and repeat.

It takes me about an hour to gutless bone out an elk by myself and less if I have help from my hunting partner.  I usually end up with about 250# of boned-out meat from an average size elk.  My buddy got over 400# from his monster bull last fall.  I'm glad I didn't have to pack his elk out.

I definately have to sharpen my knife or preferably go to a 2nd back-up knife after the first half of boning out.  I agree with lt-m-grow that elk hair is extremely tough and will dull the best steel quickly.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I carry a skinner, a large bone knife and a fish filleting knife.  You can really get close to the bone with the fillet knife.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©