3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions please on my teaching gear  (Read 269 times)

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions please on my teaching gear
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
OK I've been slowly acquiring my training gear for archery instruction & this is what I have so far.

1 LH Genesis bow = had for a few years
1 RH Genesis bow = had for a few years
1 LH Cartel 62" 18# Recurve = just acquired
1 RH Cartel 62" 18# Recurve = just acquired
10 Gold Tip Entrada 600's w/ feathers
10 Easton Jazz 1416 w/ 5 feathers &  5 vanes
10 Easton Jazz 1516 w/ 5 feathers &  5 vanes
5 arm guards, soon  to acquire aome more to have a total of 8-10
2 LH medium & 3 RH medium tabs with 3 LH & 4 RH home made medium tabs
4 finger slings
All in my SKB Large bow case similar to the BOX that ASAP uses.

I have 3 home made floor quivers
1 target with a home made stand
have access to a 10' X 10' heavy back drop net "future purchase of a 10' X 30' Light back drop net for me."

I do have my old Jennings 48" fiberglass recurve that I can set back up as a LH/RH bow for smaller ones.

What do you guys-n-gals think & any thoughts?

In April 27-29th I'll be using the above gear to offer archery as a activity for my Church's Titus Journey Retreat & Men's Retreat.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions please on my teaching gear
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Training used a mounted 'Safe Shooter' does wonders in aiding the students in focusing on form.

You may notice that many focus >90% on aiming and less than 10% on form. The one I have was uitllized by Henderson, KY (2011 National Champions) for several years.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Training used a mounted 'Safe Shooter' does wonders in aiding the students in focusing on form.

You may notice that many focus >90% on aiming and less than 10% on form. The one I have was uitllized by Henderson, KY (2011 National Champions) for several years.
I've never used the Safe Shooter system.

I go differently in that I focus on 75% - 90% on form & 25% - 10% on aiming depending on the student that I'm working with & where their needs are at.

Just to give you a little back ground:

Been shooting archery since 1978 from a home made hickory long bow, recurve then compounds then back to recurves.
Been teaching off & on for almost 15 years informally & teaching formally with a Master Coach for 8-9 years.
I am certified as a Advanced Archery Instructor through NFAA/USAA.

My intention of this thread is to get opinions of those who teach archery & to get ideas of the gear I have & need in my bag of tools.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
Give Bowwild a PM he is a instructor for NASP and is loaded with tons of good info. In the NASP book they make a string bow for establishing correct draw length and practicing drawing . tons off great info available.Roy is a great guy and has a ton of knowledge on instructing.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
Give Bowwild a PM he is a instructor for NASP and is loaded with tons of good info. In the NASP book they make a string bow for establishing correct draw length and practicing drawing . tons off great info available.Roy is a great guy and has a ton of knowledge on instructing.
Thanks.  :)

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Sounds as though you are building a good basic set of equipment.  I would suggest that a bunch of "thera-band" rubber tubing.  Both yellow & red colors for light and moderate rate draw strength.  Cut the tubing so you can tie each piece into a loop that's about one foot in length (before it starts to stretch.)  GREAT training tool for form and with the string bows  the best way to get new folks started.  I usually carry 10 each of the red and yellow and frequently use one to "demonstrate."

You probably used these in your Level 2 training.  Sometimes depending on where you live, the tubing is hard to find. FWIW I get mine in bulk from the big auctions site and give one to each student.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Sounds as though you are building a good basic set of equipment.  I would suggest that a bunch of "thera-band" rubber tubing.  Both yellow & red colors for light and moderate rate draw strength.  Cut the tubing so you can tie each piece into a loop that's about one foot in length (before it starts to stretch.)  GREAT training tool for form and with the string bows  the best way to get new folks started.  I usually carry 10 each of the red and yellow and frequently use one to "demonstrate."

You probably used these in your Level 2 training.  Sometimes depending on where you live, the tubing is hard to find. FWIW I get mine in bulk from the big auctions site and give one to each student.
Oh yeah, I've used them & still do when I'm assisting my Master Coach friend, I also have a few green ones but agree that I need to get some myself.
Thanks for the tip on getting them.   :)

Offline Bullie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
I coach my schools NASP team.  Loads of fun.  There are several churches in this area that have the same package offered to the schools.  In fact, there were coaches from the churches present at our training sessions.  Might be something to consider.
QSMA Founder and President

Current World Record Holder Grey Squirrel 1.96 B&S points.  Taken in the Mississippi hills.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
MY Master Coach instructor who certified me has taught many of the area NASP instructors here & the church not too far from me has the equipment from the Center Shot group for their program.

I have access to the ASAP equipment but it also is moving around to other instructors through out the Tidewater area here in Virginia.

My reason on having my own gear is so that I will have some equipment for occasions that the ASAP or my club's gear isn't available to me like my April 27-29th date with the Titus Journey group from Church.
I'm working on my church to make this a possible normal offering from here but I have to be patient.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©