3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easy homemade targets CHEAP!!!!( update Rack made w/new pics page 4)  (Read 903 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easy homemade targets CHEAP!!!!( update Rack made w/new pics page 4)
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
doc noc,  as far as I know you can still buy the ames target faces directly from ames, google on the web, or sportsmans warehouse still carries them as far as I know.  anywhere from eight to eleven bucks.  Just gettin ready to start stuffing some for my course.  Have everybody saving their plastic bags and gonna make a run to the furniture store tomorrow  :bigsmyl:

Offline riddleofsteel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Talk to the guys selling deer corn on local farms. I found one that buys the bags by the bale and is willing to sell some cheap.
As far as stuffing, don't overlook anything. The little plastic bags from the grocery store will do a great job if you save enough to fill a bag. I use the waterproof wraps from surgical sets, kinda like big, free, disposable blankets. Carpet stores throw away LOTS of plastic wrap and padding/carpet scraps.
Samick Red Stag TD 40LB
Hummingbird Bowie TD 45LB
Howard Hill Big Five 50LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
Fudd-y Buddy,

Yes...target faces...but I'm loving the 40"x40" BAG target...ti's sewed up 3 sides, 4 brass grommets in corners and a life size deer painted on each side in opposing directions...

Fill top slit with shrink wrap and shoot for a year!

Every on-line place claimed they were "B/O" when I checked...used to get them locally for like $15-$18 and they worked slick!

How would you "stuff the face pieces?" They're for stickin on bales...right?

Now I'm corn fused!  :)

Sequoia, I'd be sitting there sniffing the bag instead of shooting... that is rightious! Wow!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
The fulfillment of doing something yourself is unprecedented. Much has been lost yet seeing your reflection in what you have produced is a masterpiece in and of itself.

Well done!

Get well soon!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 04:59:00 AM »
Doc,  The ames website has the pillow targets.  I am going to call them today and check on availability and let you know.  Take care, FUDD

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
TSC(tractor Supply Co.) sells a perfect size burlap bag for $1.49. 5 minutes behind any strip mall will get you all the stuffing you need. There is a TSC in Shelby NC.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 07:27:00 AM »
The Ames Pillow targets are great.

Give Mike at the Nocking point a call, he has a couple styles available.

He is a sponsor here...

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments guys,
  my next adventure is yard sales and stuffed animals. figure the kids will get a kick out of a course of shooting teddy bears and other stuffed animals(even squirrel size ones). I am on trash search duty all day today...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
I've made burlap bag targets and used plastic grocery bags for the stuffing. It will top any field pointed arrow.  I have hung them longwise around my property for a makeshift 3D course. The burlap bag hanging sideways is about the size of a deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Thanks, Fudd.

When I went to actually "purchase" off their site (which was way more expensive than dealers) it said "B/O" as well.

Then every on-line I tried, including our guys here but not that one you mentioned perhaps.

The local Kinsey Outdoors, is fed by Kinsey Archery dealer supply place and THEY dont have them in their master catalog anymore.

Maybe they lasted too long?  :)  

Finding ANY burlap today is iffy locally. Everything is the fake white PLASTIC burlap... and oddly, it does NOT hold up as well as real burlap.

Oh..having said that, I no longer leave mine hanging outside in the elements, but bring the Ames burlap pillow inside each shooting session. In that regard, the plastic fake burlap excells...just not in shot for shot durability.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
I made a bag target out of an 50# empty dog chow bag. I turned it inside out and stuffed it full of rags and painted bullseyes on it. It has taken a beating. I think the next one I make will be covered when not in use. I think the UV rays from the sun are degrading the bag material. I have 3 dogs so the bags are sort of free I guess.

Offline Scott357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
I just though of a target my buddy made-he stopped at a construction site ans they gave him a bunch of scrap pieced of that hard foam insulation they put under siding. He glued 36" by 36" pieces together 4 deep and had a pretty good block target. He shot at it for a good while. When the center would get shot out he would get some of that expanding spray foam and shoot it in there and trim it after it dried. He also does that to his 3-D target. He also used that spray foam to fill a card board box to make another make shift block target. We have also filled 1 gallon milk jugs with spray foam for targets...Blah blah blah sorry to ramble!

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
My wife saves ALL of the plastic grocery bags brought into the house and then says she does'nt know what to do with them but does'nt want them going to some landfill.  So I have plenty of filler for el cheapo targets.
    Thanks to the suggestions here I stopped by the local TSC store today and picked up 4 burlap bags for $1.19 ea. and just did her a HUGE favor.  Hope she appreciates my thoughtfulness.  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Lots of great ideas here.I can see me making some 3d targets here real soon.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
If you live by the water along the marshes after a good nor-easter you can scan the marshes for floating dock foam,they make great block targets. At one point in time you could get a 2'x2'x6' new block from H depot for around $60.00 to make a floating dock. You could cut them up with a wood hand saw and shoot till your arms fell off.

I will say making small targets and using small stuffed animals as targets really gets your accuracy skills honed in. plus its a total blast shooting.We take lawn flags and make a rapid course and have at it, run from flag to flag shooting at the small targets.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rick Butler:
My wife saves ALL of the plastic grocery bags brought into the house and then says she does'nt know what to do with them but does'nt want them going to some landfill.  So I have plenty of filler for el cheapo targets.
    Thanks to the suggestions here I stopped by the local TSC store today and picked up 4 burlap bags for $1.19 ea. and just did her a HUGE favor.  Hope she appreciates my thoughtfulness.   :thumbsup:  
Hey Gary, thanks for the post.   :thumbsup:  This weekend, I'm going to TSC in Fenton.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I found burlap bags stuffed with plastic grocery bags or bubble wrap to be the easiest and cheapest by far, sure do last a long time! Once the burlap get beat just slip it into another burlap bag!

I paint a deer target on this one!

>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Tim,

Sent you a PM since you don't get notices.

One shoot I attend puts chunks of pressure treated 4x4 into the ground and staples wide piece of velcro on top. then they cut out small game animals from 3" foam block, mount the opposing piece of velcro on the bottom and require the use of blunts on that range (mostly for kids) What a hoot! Hit them and they just fly a few feet. Great fun!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
BHF,

It looks like you just painted a "background" around the outline of a deer! I might be able to do THAT! My "deer" target paint jobs or worse, pigs, look like some escapee from Jurasic Park!

Neat idea! Thanks!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Doc,  the folks who run the nocking point are out of town until tue.  I left a message to see if they still have the ames pillow targets.  I am going to head over to tractor supply to see if they have any of those burlap bags as well.  I made my living as an artist for ten years prior to becoming a nurse so I may have to got that route.  We could always take two of the ames target faces and sew them together too.  If I get some burlap bags I will paint one up for ya and send it your way!  Keep this post going,  There will be trad gangers all over dumpster diving!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©