3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Catquivers  (Read 457 times)

Offline zootown2007

• Trad Bowhunter
Catquivers
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
I have been on the search for a good backpack/quiver combo for 5 years. I still haven't found the combo I am looking for. I have found backpacks I like, and quivers that suit me. I own a Catquiver 3 and I like it, but it just doesn't hold what I need for Backcountry Montana hunting. I have finally stumbled upon a pack that is both useful and comfortable. Has anyone had any experience attaching a mini Catquiver to a stand alone pack? Did you like the results? Not?

I just don't like attached bow quivers on a longbow, so that out. Any advice or experience on that combo would be much appreciated.
Riley

“What avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?”
― Aldo Leopold

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Catquivers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I have strapped on a Mini Cat to a pack for a few extended bow hunts/hikes. Worked well, you have to fool around a bit to get it just right! Give it a try!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Never cared for the Catquivers--just didn't fit me.  The Safari Tuff Arrowmaster or Duiker would fit the bill--plenty of D-rings to attach to your pack, plus it can be removed from the pack and you have one of the best stand-alone quivers made.

Chad

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I used a Safari Tuff last fall with a pack and it did not work for me. It was OK in open country but in the Dark timber it was not silent enough for me. When branches made contact it was loud!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I didn't have that problem in CO.  Rod is using a different material now also.

Chad

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I got rid of the Catquiver for an Arrowmaster and haven't looked back.  Mine is pretty quiet, a lot quieter than rustling feathers.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I have a Catquiver IV that I like quite a bit.  I also took a Summit Equipment leg pack (like a heavy pack belt with large pockets attached that strap to your legs) and mated it with the CQ.  The end result is a lot of carrying capacity, and versatility in the field.  

I almost put the whole thing up for sale last week to raise some money, but after taking pictures, realized it was too good to get rid of.  

Once you get used to a CQ, they are really pretty easy.  My biggest problem with Catquivers is that they are harder to work with when you have full-length arrows.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I used a mini cat quiver with a Badlands 2200 last year on a hunt in Western Nebraska. I liked it as the arrows were within easy reach with my right hand, and is done by feel safely. The lower portion of the quiver is securely attached to the webbing on the hip belt, which is important as I want to know exactly where those broadheads are at all times. The top attaches near the upper portion of the shoulder strap, which you can see in the attached pic. This quiver could also be attached on a larger pack, but for day hunts, this 2200 size fits the bill for me. I can stalk with this setup safely, and while not my favorite pack for hauling meat out, it works for the first load. It has a pull out orange shelf that feeds from the bottom to hold the meat sack. I hate to come out from any kill site without some meat on my back.

If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I own a Cat Quiver 1 and a Cat Quiver 111 ... great well made quivers I haven't used once  since I got my SafariTuff Arrowmaster ...   :goldtooth:  
All the benefits plus more of the CQ with none of the cons ...
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Like Mike, above, I do the same thing with my Badlands SuperDay. ArkyBob has started doing the same thing with his CrookedHorn, too.

CatQuiver Mini. Sorry it's on the wrong side for the picture, though. Work with it so that when you sit on a log or the ground the quiver will slide up for comfort.

Romans 8:28

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I kick myself now for ever selling my mini Cat Quiver, I attached mine to my day pack & go hunting but when I started using the bow mounted quivers on my training wheel bows it sat more than be used.  :(

I need to get one again.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
I've got a pretty slick set up that combines the Cat II with a fanny pack. I'm a bow quiver guys and never use it so I'm willing to part ways if anyone is interested...practically new.

Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline zootown2007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Thank you for the comments and pics. Mike and POW, that is exactly the set up I was looking at.
Riley

“What avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Supercracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
No pictures but for my CQ I got 2 "universal holster belt clips" like are used in inside the pants holsters, cell phone carriers, etc and attached them to my CQ with pop rivets.

They slide right into the attachment straps on the side of my ALICE pack. I left the strap attached to the quiver also and with the hooks can slip it off of the pack in a couple of seconds if I need to drop the pack to get sneaky. Best of all, the hooks cost like 2 dollars each!
We all come into this world screaming, bloody and naked. If life is lived properly this does not stop at birth.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Good idea, Supercracker.  You got my wheels in my head turning now...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Def a mini cat attached to a regular pack. Use the small bungee cords. Can hike with it. Drop the pack for the stalk and take the mini cat.

When hunting the quiver was attached to the pack.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©