3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hand gun carry  (Read 1581 times)

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
hand gun carry
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
can you carry a hand gun in new mexico during archery hunts?

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hand gun carry
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
It was legal in 2006. A warden actually advised me to carry a pistol if I was hunting bears with a bow. I would check the regs to be sure these days.

This is bowhunting related so I don't see how it could be considered off topic.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:47:00 AM »
Under which rule is the question considered off topic? It seems like a valid bowhunting related question to me. Excllent advice to check with NM authorities. You don't want to rely on second hand information when it comes to the law.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Under this one.No non Trad Bowhunting equipment (compounds, crossbows, mech heads, lazer sites, guns, etc...or even pics). It took me less than a minute to find the NMFW on line. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong,and sorry if I am wrong.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
This one is fine....he's asking about taking something during an archery hunt....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
I would think that underfederal law on federal land, unless the rights have been taken due to a felony, a person has the right to carry a firearm, but not the right to use it to kill an animal he's got an archery only tag for.  

That's just my rationale so you might want to give them a call.  I'm wrong quite often.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
I would think that underfederal law on federal land, unless the rights have been taken due to a felony, a person has the right to carry a firearm, but not the right to use it to kill an animal he's got an archery only tag for.  

That's just my rationale so you might want to give them a call.  I'm wrong quite often.
I think is different for every state, in California you can not carry a side arm during any archery only season or with a archery only animal tag.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
I have a carry permit for a concealed weapon for personal protection and I never leave home without it, even while bowhunting.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
i have a cwp too. it is not reciprocate in new mexico. i skimed through the regs earlier but could not find any info.i will have time tonight to read a little more. i was just asking if anyone knew. i put in for a draw hunt there with some friends. i will post after i do some more resurch

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Only recently were you allowed to carry a handgun during archery only seasons in KY, even if you had a cdw permit. And now you can carry ONLY if you have a concealed deadly weapons permit.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I don't know about the gun issue, but I think they have telephones in New Mexico.  Because the - some guy on the web told me it was ok - defense, likely won't fly.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I live in IL but hunt in MO. Just last year MO let anyone with a MO concealed carry permit (not sure abour reciprocal states)  carry during bow season. Also retired Police Officers carrying under HR 218 can carry while bowhunting. It has been illegal for YEARS.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
In VA, open carry is (and has been) legal for many years (but not on National Forest land).  A few years ago, concealed carry became legal (not that anyone was concealing from the deer, but cold-weather clothing kinda' dictated).  Now, things are looking good (even on National Forest lands) if you want to carry a pistol while carrying a longbow or recurve (or crossbow, or muzzleloader, or shotgun, or rifle, or ball-peen hammer, or nunchakus, or throwing stars, etc . . .)  :bigsmyl:

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
This is actually a topic I am very interested in considering it is legal to carry a hand gun while hunting in SC.  I never thought I'd be considering this topic.  After shooting a dozen Black Bears with my longbow and seeing many more plus getting out of my stand in the dark knowing some where within reach, I was never worried.  But following a blood trail at night of one of these guys, I am considering Very Seriously having a back up on my hip.  This is Not your average BarBQ pig    :scared:    I'm over 6 ft/215# and curly out weighs me! tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
Tippit, I assume that critter was shot with a Pronghorn bow?...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Actually shot with a McCullough Griffin longbow 60" 42#@28.  Just have to get lucky to get around the shield.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
Instead of calling, I would email the officer your question in the area you will be hunting. That way you will have a paper trail to take with you. A phone conversation can be misunderstood or forgotten.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
By the way, that was advise given to me by Fred Eichler.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
They changed the law last year in Alabama, you can now cary on state and private lands during bow season if you have a CCW.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Just check regulations!!  State carry permits  do NOT give you permission to carry on  SOME federal Properties . Technically   you cant carry a gun in a POST OFFICE  its federal and its not allowed  even with a State Carry Permit!   Check the land your on  PRIOR to going with a gun .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©