3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hand gun carry  (Read 1585 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hand gun carry
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
The only place I've carried a handgun while bowhunting was in Alaska and that because of Grizzly bears.  My question is why do you think you need one?

Like Tippit, I hunted bear for years in Washington state and even though it was not a bow season never saw the need to carry a firearm.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
I was just asking a friend about this.  I do believe an email would be best to the state your hunting.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Border violence would be one reason to carry in New Mexico.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I don't think I would hunt in an area I was afraid of border violence to the point of carrying a handgun.  Lot's of other places that are safe to hunt.

Maybe I've mellowed in my old age.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
wingnut, I think it's for the 2 legged varmints! I always carry heat,because not far from where I live, a guy was robbed, thrown in the lake and left for dead. He was just fishing from the bank. So bowhunting or whatever, my kimber is a companion  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
A Kimber in 45 is a good friend to have,nice choice of makers.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Blacktail101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
i live and hunt in Ca. they wont even let you look at a hand gun anymore lol

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Often times one of us carries both bows while the other fellow totes the back-up rifle.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
Only recently were you allowed to carry a handgun during archery only seasons in KY, even if you had a cdw permit. And now you can carry ONLY if you have a concealed deadly weapons permit.
Same in Michigan....and we're an open carry state...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline zootown2007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
My wife wont let me out the door without a sidearm on my hip during archery season in Montana. I am a grizzly magnet!! I lived in New Mexico and never really remembered a time when I felt I needed one (except near the border). Email a warden, they will set you straight.
Riley

“What avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Since 2007 in PA you're permitted to carry a handgun (semi-auto or revolver) during archery seasons provided you have a "License To Carry Firearms" permit and the sidearm is only carried and used for self defense.  It also stipulates "only firearms that are authorized by the permit (most sporting arms are not authorized)."  I'm not sure exactly what that means.  I am sure that a scoped Thompson Center .30-06 handgun wouldn't qualify but not sure about a .44 Mag. trail gun.     :dunno:
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Ya if there were lots of Grizzlies around I'd maybe carry back up-but if I worried there might be a criminal element I'd hunt elsewhere.

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I don't think it is legal in Iowa. While I am all for the right to carry, I am already pretty well armed when I am toting a bow for anything that could be a problem in my state. When it comes to a charging grizzly, I think I would be better off with a canister of grizzly mace than trying draw and make a killing shot with a pistol, unless the noise factor works.  I have seen the noise factor not work on a black bear, when the bludgeon in the butt did.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
This is very interesting. I would like to know about a number of statesas well.I especially like the advice to get a written opinion from the local authorities.

In Georgia, you can carry your personal defense weapon during an archery hunt if you are licensed. My Glock .45 is usually with me but not out of fear of 4 legged threats. It is an uneasy feeling to be challenged in the woods when you are the only person that has legal right to be there.
Sam

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Open carry here in Louisiana also. Only allowed rat shot in .22 cal for archery season, unless you have a concealed carry permit.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Recently read an article, and a warden felt, Bear Spray was as effective, unless your an excellent shot on fast moving target.

This past year two hunters in Northern Idaho were hunting black bear, one wounded a bear, turned out to be a Griz, when tracking the bear it charged, the shooter fired again, they thought the Griz killed the other hunter, seems like a shot from the hunter was responsible. They did not know their own limitations. I would think the tracks should have given them reason to back out and call a Warden.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
i had two pics of what looked like 80-100# cougar(my dogs 85# and had him walk by the trail cam) when i checked it last weekend. i showed the land owner and know he wants me to carry a side arm. i told him i thought it was illegal, i dont own a hand gun and dont think it is necessary. does anyone know if its illegal in kansas?

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
You can open carry a handgun legally in NM during archery season. You can also transport one loaded in your vehicle in this state. There are limits in state parks but those are closed for hunting.

Check with NMDPS of NMDGF for your own security however.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
B-DOG, I would check multiple sources from within th state you intend you carry or possess a handgun. Internet search the laws through thier state-run websites, local firearms rights organizations etc. There is no shortage of people getting arrested and jailed for violations after having read somewhere on the internet they were good to go. its also not umcommon to get bad info from lawenforcement resources, so check with multiple references.

Most of the western and south western states are pretty good as far as carry goes, but do you homework for every state you may travel through etc.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 07:49:00 PM »
They are not just getting arrested and jailed.  They will likely also loose their right to carry permit.  Most all of the State laws have stiff provisions for revocation.  You'll also loose the weapon seized in the initial arrest.

Be sure of what you are doing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©