3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hand gun carry  (Read 1586 times)

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hand gun carry
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
In Utah it is now legal to open carry. Since I have a CWP I have be carrying for years now. Last season my son and I found an abandon meth lab, where we were hunting. Did not see it until we were right in it. Not worried about the four legged animals but the two legged.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 02:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
Only recently were you allowed to carry a handgun during archery only seasons in KY, even if you had a cdw permit. And now you can carry ONLY if you have a concealed deadly weapons permit.
That used to be the case until last year.  New regulations state "Anyone who may legally possess
firearms may carry firearms while
hunting, but only persons with valid
concealed carry deadly weapon permits
may carry their firearms concealed."  

Therefore since KY is an open carry state anyone who can legally possess a handgun may open carry or  conceal carry with a permit during any season.  Different regulations on federal lands.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:00 AM »
Wingnut          :biglaugh:      

You have not hunted elk in Wa. state for a few years I take it..

Ever since the liberals in the Seattle area, took over the management of some species that used to be handled by the Game Dept. [ specifically Cougars and Bears...and probably wolves will follow soon] by a general election vote... Cougars`and bears can no longer be hunted with hounds nor can bears be baited... Their numbers have blown out of control to the point that a few years back a cougar was removed from the hall way inside a middle school that was in session just East of Vancouver WA..

At this point, cow calls seem to bring in cats much as a gun shot does  Bears on Kodiak Island...

As a result, WA. finally relented  and allows the carry of defensive handguns by those with a CCW... which is a bit strange as they do not require they be carried concealed.

During early season while using a cow call, my Pro Carry II Kimber 45 has become just another piece of equipment I carry while afield.          ;)                  

Gene Carroll
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline mcbowguy

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
What all of you are forgetting is that it is always a good time to carry a handun.  I have been a law enforcement office for 16 years.  To me, it makes no sense to go out anywhere without a gun.  Do you wear a seatbelt?  Do you because it's the law or because it makes sense (or you don't like the taste of dashboard?) Never been in a car accident but I want it on when it happens.  Never been car-jacked or strong-arm robbed, but want to be ready when it happens.  Good chance it will.  How do people not get it.  In the forest, there is minimal cell sevice.  Good luck if you need help.  I like to have the upper hand I guess.  I like to be a citizen.  Those who are unarmed are subject to anyone else.  In other words, those who are unnarmed are not citizens.  They are subjects.  Subject to a person with a weapon with a desire to take what they want, including your life.  Government or criminal, if there is a difference.
A man is pretty stupid if he can only spell a word one way...   Mark Twain

http://www.mcbroombows.com

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
We have been discussing this prior to our Idaho trip.

I carry everyday anyway, so I will have a hogleg handy. We are hunting quite a bit south of the Bitterroots, so we don't expect grizzly troubles. But everyone says that cow calling is bear and mountain lion calling, so I suppose we will see what happens. I have a tag for those, so they will get an arrow if they show up. Frankly, the handgun is for 2 legged predators more than anything else.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
In OR it just became legal a few years ago when it was determined that the department of fish and wildlife was overstepping it's powers by banning the carry of handguns while bowhunting.  I was carrying even when it was still "illegal" I figured my life was worth it and having been charged once by a highly irritated and large sow with cubs and ambushed by a cougar from behind I will always carry.  The only reason I'm alive is because I was carrying when the cat tried to jump me.  I missed the cat but the muzzle blast less than a foot from its head was enough to turn it.  I've also been stalked by a cat and another bear which was confirmed by tracks on top of the ones I made walking in.  Handguns and particulary hunting handguns are my business and I never leave home without at least one and normally more.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
The only time I carried a handgun on a bow hunt was in Alaska on Jay Masseys Moose John float hunt for moose. Jay strongly suggested that we carry sidearms of at least .44 magnum and also a shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot. Jay himself carried a cut down 45-70 rifle. He also said the hand gun was a poor defense against Brown bears but it was better than nothing plus it could be used for signaling if you got separated.

I carried a Ruger .44mag on my side for the two weeks I was in the bush. I never had a need for it but none the less it was comforting to have it on you in bear country when your only other protection was a bow and arrow...   :scared:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
This is the list which I created, and which led me to decide on a good, reliable firearm:

Can haze a threatening bear and possibly stop a charge?  Gun-yes. Spray-no.
Can wound or kill a bear?  Gun-yes.  Spray-no.
Can defend before bear is within 20'? Gun-yes.  Spray-no.
Can use during the night in tent?  Gun-yes.  Spray-not advised.
Can reload after using?  Gun-yes.  Spray-no.
Can ignore wind direction when using?  Gun-yes.  Spray-no.
Can practice with it?  Gun-yes.  Spray-does anyone practice?
Can fly it on aircraft?  Gun-yes.  Spray-not advised.
Can survival hunt with it?  Gun-yes.  Spray-no.
Can signal for help with it?  Gun-yes.  Spray-no.

Can be used without much practice?  Gun-no.  Spray-yes.
Can be bought at destination?  Gun-no.  Spray-yes.
Can be used in residential areas?  Gun-no.  Spray-yes.
Costs much less to acquire?  Gun-no.  Spray-yes.
Relies on compressed air?  Gun-no.  Spray-yes.

There are other considerations of course. I also asked a good number of guys who've spent a lot of time in Alaska's backcountry what they prefer. The overwhelming choice was a good firearm.

Something to think about. If you were injured or otherwise forced to spend a few days in a survival situation in the backcountry; and if you had to immediately choose between a 12 oz can of pepper spray and a really good gun...which item would you choose?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
Ron, That sounds like the same thing Jay told me,with one exception.
My only sidearm at the time was a Ruger .357
He offered that I should be sure to file the front sight off so it wouldn't hurt as bad when the grizz prodded me with it,if you know what I mean  :scared:  

Better than a sharp stick though.

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
In WV you need to have a CCW to carry while bow hunting. I have a CCW so I carry when I bow hunt. Dont have any four legged animals around here I am worried about, but I have heard of shady activity on the public lands. Just glad I have not stumbled upon any.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
After many years in all phases of law enforcement, EVERYONE on this forum sure carry a gun at all times. I am not advising anyone to disregard the law, but, there are two legged predators in all aspects of life.There is no place truely "safe". without the means to protect yourself and your loved ones, then you are just victim waiting for your time.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
I carried a 44 magnum for back-up while Brown bear hunting in Alaska. After seeing a couple of the bears close up I felt it was a little inadequate for stopping one at close range though. After a few days with my so called guide I had already planned on using it to slow him down in the event we were attacked anyway so I'm glad I had it with me.

My pistol was in my pack in the back of the truck the one time I really thought I needed it. That was when unknown to me my guide drove me to a crack house looking for his girlfriend. He announced where we were at as he pulled into the driveway and laid on the horn.
Jack Shanks

Offline Gvan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Here in Michigan they changed the law a few years back. It IS LEGAL to carry concealed (with permit) while bowhunting in Michigan. This was changed soon after the shooting of 8 Wisconsin hunters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chai_Vang).
Two Tracks Longwalker 60"  54#
Arrow Dynamics Trad Lite
Centaur Big Game Head 170grain

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jack Shanks:

My pistol was in my pack in the back of the truck the one time I really thought I needed it. That was when unknown to me my guide drove me to a crack house looking for his girlfriend. He announced where we were at as he pulled into the driveway and laid on the horn.
Wow!   :scared:
That's a special hunting memory!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I use to carry a short .44mag or.45colt, but switched to a mid sized .40 glock a few back because it's a little shorter, thinner and lighter. Down this way, I'm more concerned with two legged maggots waiting back at the truck than critters in the woods.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
As I had said in my first post, during my Alaskan hunt I had my Rugar .44mag on my belt for the two weeks of the hunt and never had the need for it. The one time I was glad I had it was near the end of the hunt. My partner and I had come to the end of the "Moose John river" as Jay called it and started down the big river to our take out point at an Indian village where the bush pilot was to pick us up. We had stopped along the shore for lunch when a good size motorized boat came up the river and pulled in where we were. Three scroungy looking characters came ashore to "visit"?..If you've ever had an uncomfortable feeling around certain strangers then you'll know how I felt. During the somewhat strange conversation we found out that they weren't hunters and they had no fishing tackle.We  were still over a days float from the nearest civilization and these people had no apparent reason to be on the river. To tell you the truth they made my hackles raise.

My partner had a Dan Wesson .44mag visible on his belt. My Ruger was in a cross draw holster on my side. These characters had no visible weapons but could well have had guns under their coats. We had a small cook fire going to heat our lunch and we were all kind of gathered around the fire. I made it a point to keep them in front of me and I never turned my back on them. I gave my partner a couple of looks trying to convey to him my mistrust of these people.

We were both wearing money belts with our personal papers, hunting license and a goodly amount of cash. Alaska is a really big country. In the coarse of our float hunt we had covered over 100 miles of wilderness so it would be easy for a couple of hunters like us with our gear and rubber rafts to just disappear.

Like I said, during their "visit", the conversation with our guest was a strange one. It wasn't the friendly kind of meeting you might expect in a situation like this. They may have sensed our uneasiness and the fact that we were armed and gave no opportunity, at any rate when they climbed back into their boat and shoved off I breathed a sigh of relief. Were they scoundrels?...I don't know, but by being armed and ready we'll never really know for sure...   :dunno:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't like feeling like prey.
I don't like hoping for mercy from a bad guy.
I am female and hunt alone.
I hate it when people insist that I justify self empowerment that they have decided to disdain. I do not insist that they follow my example. I respect their decision, even if they don't respect mine.

"I have a Tooth!" ~Mowgli

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Humm... you think a few more NM folks would chime in... But a few seasons ago I was fall turkey hunting at my turkey hunting meadow. This meadow is a few mile hike from where I park my truck. I got up there about 4am so that I had time to get up there before the sun rose. As soon as I got there there was no moon and it was the darkest I had ever seen. I started my climb up the thick valley and with my surefire flashlight and my bow. About a mile in I spooked 2 deer that I believe were bedded under a tree... I had not seen them until they in a panic arose and started to stir. In a non graceful fashion I droped my bow and dove into the closest tree in fear of being trampled... At that moment I learned how close you could get to an animal without knowing...Thankful it was only dear, if that were a bear or a cat I could of easily had a nice paw print across my face...There are some areas national monuments, Sandia Mtns and such that do not allow firearms and I respect those rules, but when ever I go into the wild by myself to hunt I carry some kind of sidearm...
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
 Now Shere Kahn, I have a tooth too....Mowgli  
"It's not nice to bring a gun to a knife fight"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Down eher where I hunt I seldom see anyone in the woods but as happened with Mr. Ron I have had some uneasy feelings at camp.
 I was camped at a WMA once that was close to an interstate. There was more traffic on the dead end road we were camped on than on the public roads around my house. It was bad enough I only stayed one night but I assure you that busting into my tent would have been a mistake at night.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©