3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hand gun carry  (Read 1580 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hand gun carry
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Not legal in CT to carry ANY firearm while BOW Hunting. I can carry my sidearm while gun hunting, on private property. CT is an open carry state....as long as it can't be seen.    :banghead:
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
any of you remember the woman that was bowhunting in Idaho and had to shoot a wolf in self defense with the 44 she carried on her hip?
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Dont go no where without one.........specially out hunting in remote places.

Offline Cochise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Out here in southern Arizona it's the wild west
part two.if your out in the sticks with only a handgun you might find yourself undergunned quick..
here if your a hunter..you still might be the prey..ive been hunting and stumbled on smugglers who have nothing to lose by killing you,,and in the same day..and a canyon over, come across a group of college kids from the University of AZ
doing a raptor count..
as a ASU alumni im not sure which group was worse.
Cochise

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
My question is why do you think you need one?
Better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it.

Something my dad always said to me,
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
another rule I live by is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I have a good friend that was stalked by a mountain lion out west while he was elk hunting.  He was on his way back to camp in failing light and had the distinct feeling that he was beeing watched. All he could think about was fighting a big cat with a sharp stick in the dark.  Needless to say he always has pistol with him now.

It is good advice to always take care of yourself.  After all, no one is responsible for your safety but you!
Casse Couilles!

Offline PTLMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
The pic of that bow shows why we all should be allowed to carry a handgun while hunting.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
I have heard of a lot of people stalked by couger, not many attacked by them... but I have heard of a lot of people that surprised a bear and were mauled or killed by them.  Not that couger aren't scarey, but in Washington Black Bears are a real issue.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
One of my fanny pack hog trackin' set ups...Ruger .357 SP 101 & a little sharp thing.  For tracking wounded hogs at night, I like an extra friend with me...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I carry a compact 1911 .45 concealed wherever it is legal to do so, and as previoulsy stated, it is legal while bowhunting in Michigan.  I'm also a NRA firearms instructor and I teach the class that is necessary for someone to apply for a Michigan CPL.  I get a lot of satisfaction being part of the process that enables more people to take advantage of their right to carry.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
A cougar story is on this thread, "A story of survival"

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119970
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mr.H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
This link is a useful resource for those of you with concealed weapon permits:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Online Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
In California it is illegal to carry a firearm during an achery season or during a general season while hunting with an Archery Only tag.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2012, 12:54:00 AM »
Everything is illegal in CA, my sister is a cop in San Jose and supports gun registration and one time when she was up visiting I got lectured on how the 6" hunting knife on my dashboard would be illegal.  She's a borderlin pinko-commie.  

As far as cougar attacks I have a couple of stories.  As most OR hunters can tell you, ever since they stopped the use of dogs and bait for cats and bears, things have got out of hand.  The ODFW is killing nuisance bears at an alarming rate and the dept of Ag is shooting alot of cats.  I've personally talked to three other people who've had run ins with cats.  All three were bowhunters and both had to kill the cat at a matter of feet with their bows and the one I saw the X Rays from the federal wildlife forensic lab in Ashland which is the foremost in the country.  The arrow penetrated the skull and went directly down the spinal canal through the middle of the vertebrae killing the cat instantly.  The other was a 13yr old boy, I gave him and his father a ride off the mountain to get help with their truck that wouldn't start.  They were spring turkey hunting and I ran into them while bear hunting.  The kid had been laying on the ground with his bow watching a meadow when a cat appeared directly in front of him.  He was camo'd very well and the cat watched for a few moments and then dissapeared.  I think the cat couldn't make him out and probably left because of the human scent.  I give alot of credit to the little guy for staying calm and not running although he told me he was scared to death and shaking like a leaf.  Had he run it probably would have triggered the  cats instincts to kill.

I've had two close calls with cats myself.  The first time was in the spring and I was on top of Mt Ashland on the OR/CA border glassing for cats and bears when a thunder storm came in.  I was above tree line and decided to get out of there.  I was half way off the mtn when a cat walked out in front of me and out of the two dozen cats I've seen in the wild this was the biggest, a big tom that easily went 200+.  I was so rattled when I got out of the rig I forgot to put it in park and the rig took off down the road and rather than shoot I watched my rig come to a stop unhurt in a bar ditch.  When I looked back up the cat was still there sitting on a rock on the side of the road.  When I raised my gun he jumped but not panicked.  I followed him up the hill which was all scrub oak and was still covered with leaves from the previous fall which made it like walking in corn flakes.  I stopped to listen and I could hear the cat working his way back around behind me.  I decided the smartest option was to retreat as I could hear him but the brush was thick and I couldn't see him.

The closest encounter I had was in a farmers field bordering a river.  I spotted the cat from the road a couple hundred yards out bedded in the middle of a hay field.  I went and got permission to hunt the cat from the owner and when he found out all I had was a revolver (6" custom Ruger in 475 Linebaugh) he offered me the use of his rifle.  I knew I was in trouble when I saw it.  The gun was a semi auto Rem in 06, the ammo was green and mag so rusted I had to pound it in and the scope was an antique.  Never the less I took a rest on a fence pole and shot.  The cat ran but I'd seen dust fly from behind the cat but I wasn't sure if I'd hit it or shot just over him.  I gave the farmer back his rifle and went in search of sign with my revolver.  I couldn't find blood where he'd been laying so I walked toward the river where it had gone which was lined with 6' tall blackberry bushes.  I was parralelling the berry's and checking all the game trails for blood.  As I passed on of these trails the hair went up on my neck at the same time I heard the obvious growl of a cat.  It seemed like it took forever to draw my gun and turn and fire but I know it was a fraction of a second.  I was half turned and threw the gun around my side and touched it off the cat was just starting to jump at me when the gun went off.  The shot missed it's head by inches but the muzzle blast of the big bore turned the cat.  That cat had deliberately hid in the bushes and was waiting for me and in true cat fashion was going to hit me from behind.  Had I not had the revolver I'd been hurting unit.  The initial shot was 180yds and must have been high because I never found any blood.  The first cat that watched me and my rig going into the ditch was only 20yds when I checked the distance although I'd swore it was three times that.  That cat had lost it's fear of humans.  There are alot more close calls than most people realize and all the cats I've mentioned seeing  have been in since 98 and I know it's because of the loss of fear from the stoppage of hound hunting and our pursuit season.  From what I've seen and talking to wildlife biologist if your in state where hunting pressure is light or non existant on the cats and especially if dogs are not allowed your chance of a run in are much higher.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
My Beretta PX4 Storm in .45acp is fitted with a green lazer/light. It's a good companion piece to have on your side when you're in the dark woods with only your bow. Boogie men?     :bigsmyl:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Dan in KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I am somewhat dated, but the last time I hunted New Mexico, our Outfitter recommended we carry a handgun.  We were very close to the border, and the problem was two legged varments.  We didn'tsee anyone who was not armed during that trip.

DB

Offline GHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
One of my fanny pack hog trackin' set ups...Ruger .357 SP 101 & a little sharp thing.  For tracking wounded hogs at night, I like an extra friend with me...tippit
[/b]

That's a hoot! I had to laugh when I saw this. I have an almost identical duo in my walk-about belt pack... minus the pretty grips. :cool:  

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
It's legal to carry concealed in Texas during archery season as long as one has a concealed handgun license (CHL). Hasn't been that way for too many years.
 I carry mostly for two-legged critters. Where I hunt is ranch land, some of it fenced, some not, with old pump jack locations scattered all over the property. When one finds evidence of meth labs and such around, it pays to be covered. People also like to have late night gatherings on some of those locations.
  I've came across some people I'm sure were in the process of poaching and thankfully they boogied. I won't confront them when out by myself but I will protect myself. My .45 is a lot closer than the sheriff or game warden.
 It don't hurt my feelings to have some backup when pig huntin' either. At least maybe somebody would here the noise and come find the pieces.
  Be careful, be legal and cover your tail!!!
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Dang Ron, I woulda figured you'd carry a Howdah!  :biglaugh:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©