3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hand gun carry  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hand gun carry
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
 Dang Ron, I woulda figured you'd carry a Howdah!  
I didn't say I carried the Beretta when I was hunting I said it would make a good companion to have in the woods.

I'd rather carry this, my original .69cal Howdah, with buckshot in one barrel and a .69 round ball in the other..    :D  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Yow!
Makes my .45 Bisley cringe!
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I've looked it up for Louisiana before.  Walked up on a group of about 20 hogs one morning before daylight with only my bow and all of my arrows in the quiver.  I ended up in a tree.  In Louisiana you can only carry a .22 cal pistol with rat shot.  Not much good on a hog.  Bow season stays open all the way through firearm season here, so once the firearm season opens, you can carry anything you want along with your bow.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
 Yow! Makes my .45 Bisley cringe! Killdeer  
Killy, somehow I knew you wouldn't be a .22 or .32 caliber gal....    :rolleyes:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
That 69 cal. speaks authority. It's big enough to use as a club.

You can carry in Maine during archery season (this is the part I do nor agree with) if you purchase a firearms hunting license. But you can not finish the animal off with the firearm.

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Whenever I get bummed out by some of the silliness surrounding guns around here (Montana).....I just try to find a discussion online like this one.  I feel real bad for some of you, many of us are closer to serfdom than we realize.  You not only can carry a handgun during bow season here, it can be concealed if you're outside the confines of an incorporated city, or mining/logging camp.  BTW, I don't carry mine for concerns generated by four legged animals (although we don't have hogs....yet).
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Ron, you can never have too many .22s. There is usually a Walther TPH in my cargo pocket.

Killdeer   ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
My Wife has a Walther Killdeer and shoots it every week for fun. she recently took over my Browning Buckmark. RC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
I don't use my revolver for hunting as I Only hunt with my longbow or for two legged creatures.  It is in my fanny pack to back up my longbow for tracking wounded Hogs.  Especially ones like this as I'm Not as nimble as in my younger days!  tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
  Ron, you can never have too many .22s. There is usually a Walther TPH in my cargo pocket.  Killdeer     ;)      
If all you've got is a .22 you'd better have a BIG knife on you for back up.  
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119970  

:bigsmyl:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Thank you to EVERYBODY who carries a gun....I believe it creates a moment of doubt in the minds of those who would do harm...who is...who aint...  :campfire:

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
In PA you can not hunt with an semiauto handgun, and may only carry one if you have a concealed carry permit (easy and inexpensive to obtain unless you are a felon).  You may hunt with a revolver, depending on what county you are in. Anyway, I usually carry a pocket pistol (I have a permit) in case there's a lunatic out in the woods!
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
An armed society is a polite society. There are sheep in our society, and there are sheepdogs, watching over the flocks. My career was that of a sheepdog, and being armed came with the territory. I would much rather be a sheepdog than a sheep, being harassed and/or eaten by the wolves of our society.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Sounds like nutnfancy's sheepdog concept taken from another guy's book
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
I' glad to see others have read/seen/heard Col. Grossman's work....17 years as a sheepdog (not counting 5 in the Army), and I've never felt someone's thinking as clear and true as the Colonel's.
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
This is the list which I created, and which led me to decide on a good, reliable firearm:

Can use during the night in tent?  Gun-yes.  Spray-not advised.

That visual cracked me up.

Most states that allow concealed carry changed their laws to allow licensed owners to carry a handgun during archery season several years ago.  However, it always pays to check your local regulations and get it in writing.

I have carried a handgun several times when trailing wounded boars in thick cover and also on a property that had a large and agressive pack of feral dogs.  

More often the thought of carrying a handgun is based on personal protection in the original sense of the phrase.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
As someone said above, you can carry in PA if you have a concealed carry permit, but you can't hunt with a handgun during bow season.  Normally not a big deal, but it does raise the question of whether, given that a game warden can't tell whether the arrow or the bullet went in first, whether you can dispatch a wounded animal with your handgun.  As I read PA law, the answer is no, unless of course, you're dealing with a bear or other animal that is in the process of trying to turn you into compost.  In any case, I almost always carry when bow hunting.  I like the Taurus Judge because you can load two  .410 shotshells for snakes in warm weather and 3 .45 Long Colts for the two legged snakes.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
With Buffalo Bore ammo you can raise the performance of your handgun by a full caliber. My .357mag with a 180gr LFN bullet @1400fps is very close to what you get with a .41mag...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Glock 22c in 40 cal.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
winchester +p+ ranger in my glocks in 9mm
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©