3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.  (Read 1092 times)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Well guys since I had surgery on my back I am going to hunt mostly on the ground(not due to fear just being a little smarter) for this coming year. I do have a few ground blinds that I have used made up already.
  So I have a few places that I had stands in and plan on hitting some other areas that I have never been able to get stands in due to time restraints. I plan to hit as many areas as I can on the ground. Spot and stalk is very very difficult on our public land.
   So what tips and tricks do you have for me to help the ground game this year. Thanks for any replies in advance.Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:00 AM »
I dont have a lot of experience with ground hunting but since your on public land, Im not sure Id leave a blind out. I would prolly go in a few weeks before your season opens and build some natural blinds in a few areas for different wind directions. Good luck with your back. I have had 2 back surgeries myself and am almost 100% normal although some would dispute that.  :)
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
Avoid making eye contact and do not look at the animal; move when their eyes are averted-feeding and head down. Remember they see 'sideways'. If you are busted appear nonchalant-you are not interested in them-don't behave like a predator.  I have gotten fairly close by appearing to walk the other way.
Especially with Elk you want cover behind you-don't worry so much about cover in front.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Well I am not expert enough to tell you much but will share a few obvious things.

Make your brush blind type stands roomy enough that you can look around and stand up without hitting the sides and spooking the animal. Also, build in some concealment from the rear as these guys will sneak in behind you more often than you might guess. Use a comfortable seat, because you sit still for much longer when you are comfy. Be especially concious of wind direction.
Move SLOWLY.Be QUIET, remembering to clear the leaves and debris from around your feet. Camo is anything that allows you to blend into your particular surroundings. Commercial camo or muted plaids are both very effective, as are ghillie suits. I'm sure you already know all this, but it is good reinforcement to repeat the basics from time to time.

I have been doing more ground hunting in recent times, myself. We all know pretty much what to do, but noise and sight discipline are just that much more important when on the ground.

You will also have opportnunities to see a lot of wildlife close up. Squirrels, possums, and birds will often wander into your ground blind. On one chilly evening a black snake actually crawled into my lap, presumably for warmth (no danger here, I had seen this particular snake several times in the area and was familiar with it). Once I had a youg doe with traces of spots still showing stick her head in the blind. She was too much of a baby to want to shoot her. All of this is to show that in addition to being a very effective means to hunt, it is also very entertaining. By the way, laughing out loud at some of these sights is not good sound discipile.

You will love it. Good luck with the recovery after your surgery. Desire to return to the sport is just as important as the physical training in your overall progress. Work quickly but don't rush it beyond medical advice.
Sam

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
 You want cover behind you-don't worry so much about cover in front.
The best advice you can get is right there.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Lots of good advice in the archives

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
The coolest thing about ground hunting I discovered by accident when I dug a slight hole. LSS, the hole eventually became about 2-3' deep & plenty big enough for my portable seat. I surrounded it w/deadfall w/enough shooting lanes in every direction. Could rest my elbows on my knees & see through the woods at ground level under brush, etc.

This initial stand came alive with animals I'd not seen before as I could see them at good distances through the woods. Amazing! Now when I find a promising area, I look for a place to dig a hole.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
1) Ghillie suit, ghillie suit, ghillie suit!
2) Make sure you have a comfortable chair to sit in. Remember, you are eye-level with your prey so you want to keep movement to a minimum.
3) The wind is ever-more critical. Make sure you set up with it in your favor.
4) Carry a piece of camo netting with you to help fill in the holes of your cover.
5) Carry a good quality folding saw with you. I like the Silky brand saws.
6) Carry a bunch of 14" zip ties with you. They are great for the construction of ground blinds.

My two cents!

Darren

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Good advice here.  It's never too early to start thinkig about making some natural blinds.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Good stuff right there Darren.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
Always good info and I take note. Love to hunt on the ground. What has been said already pretty much sums it up!

I love these ground hunting threads!

Jason

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Ghillie poncho over me and a Huntmore chair equal motionless comfort. The problem with it is when birds land on me they get their little foots caught in the webbing.  Another problem that comes up is the wheelie guys think that they are seeing a Sasquatch when they walk into you. The funny part is they never even see me until I wave. "Just your friendly neighborhood Sasquatch saying Hi" kind of wave, my god what a bunch of screamers in our part of the woods, just about as bad as my next door neighbor.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Try to keep yourself in the shadows if possible. Sunlight will accent your movement.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Just made a ghillie poncho the end of this season. Can see extreme possibilities!
Use a separate head cover so it turns with your head
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I got to thinking one day about an old one piece camo coverall I had and never used, then got to thinking about the Rancho Safari ground blind shield I kept when I sold the suit. I started cutting up that shield and strategically sewed it to my one piece in such a way that would be best for bow hunting and ended up with something I think will be awesome this year. Made a boonie to match and had enough left over to have a 2 piece blanket of the stuff I can use over my lap or tie it in front or behind me shielding my silhoutte. Put a lot of thought and work into it and love it. It is so much more quiet and lighter than the Rancho Ghilli. Thats what I had against it when I had it, too noisy for me, and heavy. I left the back without the jute and burlap for using my backpack. I tied the 2 pieces together and roll the suit, hat and chair into the shield for a compact roll and strap it to the pack till I get to where I'm going. Open it, put it on and sit down. I can just vanish in less than a minute. The suit is plenty big to allow for any tempurature by adjusting inside clothing, even made a belt sewn in the drawing arm side to take up loose clothing when seated so it won't catch the string. Pretty cool, I'm very excited for this years hunts.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I have found that still hunting through public land can be productive as other people in the woods can serve to keep game moving, sometimes right to you. Move slow, stay alert. Don't step on anything you can step over. When you pause for a while, make sure you have clearance to draw. Stop where you have some cover, but you can turn around and have bow clearance to draw. This can be a good tactic while scouting for that natural blind or stand location.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
I always like these threads.  I have goals to hunt from the ground more.  I think I worry about our highly variable winds too much.  I continue to build ground blinds whenever I can get out and scout.  Any pinch point or good trail I come across I usually build a ground blind for the two most common wind directions.  I hope to sit on the ground more often this fall. Keep the suggestions coming.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I do have a few ground blinds set up and plan to do some of Terry Greens tent spike tree bend blinds as well. I think being mobile and able to hunt a few more pieces should up the deer stock in the freezer.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
Lots of good advice in the archives
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
1. wind
2. good cover behind you
3. keep movement to a mimimum
4. location,location,location
5. lots of patience

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©