3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.  (Read 1091 times)

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 03:35:00 AM »
You wouldn't believe the funny looks I get here in South Alabama when I mention to folks that I hunt on the ground. Nothing wrong with treestands but I've never been comfortable in one if it's over 10 ft.
Got tired of luggin em in and out and I like the versatility of hunting on the round. Last 37 years I've hunted on the ground 80% of the time.
So 5 years ago I sold all my stands. Deer down here look up a lot when they approach food plots or areas where hunters use treestands a lot.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 04:50:00 AM »
Scent control only matters downwind...let an area be if the wind is not completely in your favour...there will be another time when it is...and this year I am going to follow my own advice for a change

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 05:27:00 AM »
I'll often take pruners/saw/natural twine along on  my off-season scouting trips. That way I can build  ground blinds in promising places to go back to during the season. If I should never get back there, using natural hemp twine and natural materials allows the blind to breakdown naturally.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Ive made every mistake on the ground but it can be rewarding.
Good advise here from ground thumpers.

A couple things Id like to add or X2 on are these.
1.Background more than fore ground. Minimal cover in front but lots behind you

2. Try and get a spot where the deers sight is obstructed from your draw. Maybe a bush or tree.
I like to add some brush on the ground in front of me (on deer trail) and add some curiosity scent on the ground
The deer lowers head to small the ground and their eyes are behind the brush.

Anyway good luck!
Slickhead

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
I've had some luck with using ditches and low spots as ambush hides.  Doesn't work well in FL since most low spots are full of water, but for you guys that live in places that are actually fit for human habitation, it might work.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
What seat do you recommend?  I've heard mixed reviews on the huntmore 360 and the Waltrop seems a little bulky
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Concentrate on your back cover,  with whatever is in front of you for cover about a 3rd or half the height of your back drop.   Dont cramp yourself....design your blind so that you have at least an arms length to the front wall when you are in the blind and at full draw.
Rake the floor of the blind to the bare ground!  This is very important!
Have something soft to kneel on,  should you need to kneel down.  
Have a bow hanger/holder at your disposal...in perfect position.
Have a noiseless spot to place other gear,  such as packs,  rattles,  binos....
Build your blind with latex or nitrile gloves on....and bring several pair,  as the get torn.
Remember if you use branches with foliage on them or pine needles,  they will start to fall off.  So build thick.  If broad leaves,  make sure that if they have a lighter colored side....that that side is down, so that it blends better.  Ive always thought that too many of those upside down leaves would make the blind appear lighter in contrast....thus a visiual becon for animals.
Try to keep track of wind trends for a given spot.  You may need to build 2 blinds in that general location to work around wind changes.  Ive taken this approach and on more than one occasion, was very glad I did!  If I would have been in the other blind,  I would have been on the wrong side of the wind!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
And dont forget..... "Be Vewy Vewy" Kwiet...  :rolleyes:    :laughing:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Mike Falkner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
The place I hunt most of the time has a stand of big cedars close to the house.  Before I head in the woods I'll walk up in one and twist around until I break some needles.  I can smell that cedar sap on me all day hunting.  Cheaper than cover scent and our woods are full of cedars.  Just one more trick.
Mike

Psalms 44:6

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
all the above for me especailly in the last 6 years the ASAT and Predator camo has made huge differance.  Quick example, this was initially a recon hunt, long, long walk.
I came up on a hill top one morning and knew a corn field was on the edge of it.  I took my seat and sat down in front of two 8" tree's (nothing else around, could see through for 50 yards). Right at first light, gave a few grunts.  About 20 minutes later corner of eye seen movement from field, a buck about 150 class.  He came in 20 yards quartering to me and browsed.  Then walked slowly to 15 yards turned broadside walking to go down hill.  There was nothing (I mean nothing) between me and him.  I figure what the heck and went with the moment, I turned slowly, came up and drew. He took off after the shaft passed through and 3 hours later was in my truck.  A week later it warmed up, had on another more POPULAR camo, sitting in same spot, had 3 different deer come in seperatly and all spotted me 30 yards away.  This sold me.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
I use three different seats. I like my Huntmore, works great and I use mine a lot. Only complaints I would have are weight, it is a bit on the heavy side if you have to hike in a long ways, and it is not the most rapid to set up if you are moving alot. In the terrain I hunt the wind can shift a lot during the course of a day so I tend to move alot.

I also have a Big Jims Ground seat and I like it in some situations. If I know I will be moving a lot or only hunting 3-4 hours for the day I will take this seat.

Probably my favorite is my Hammock Seat. Very comfortable, easy to move from place to place and it weighs in at under 2 lbs. It is also infinitely adjustable regarding height and it is very cost effective. I have these at Simply Traditional and they are one of my best sellers, you can read more here:    Simply Traditional - Hammock Seat

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Sorry I missed your post above - I actually just ordered a hammock seat last night.  Looking forward to trying it and ground hunting this year.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by DaveT1963:
Sorry I missed your post above - I actually just ordered a hammock seat last night.  Looking forward to trying it and ground hunting this year.
No worries, you will love it! When you get ready to buy another, please keep me in mind!

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Hammock Seat is very comfy.  I used one in Kansas last year.  The only complaint I had was that it failed on me the first time in the woods.  The fabric came out from around the fastener on the pole.  I weigh much less than the rated 350 lbs too.  I'm gun shy on buying another one but I will vouch for the ease of set up and how comfortable it is!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I use knee pads most of the time and sit kinda behind/to the side of large trees.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 05:44:00 AM »
if you always fall asleep when on the ground get into the habit of waking up by not moving anything and opening only one eye at a time, please follow instructions from someone who has snored in many deer..

upon waking sit motionless (no twitching, or farting or trying to get feeling back into the leg that fell asleep)     peel right eye lid open very slowly while eye ball is rolling back and fourth scanning that whole right side area, after right eye is fully open and still blurry from the nap,, begin slowly opening left eye while rolling that eye around doing the same as the right eye,,,,,,, once both eyes are open and you determined best you could through the blurry vision that there is no DEER standing there starring at you!  you can continue rolling both eyes around at the same time while thinking about how tired you are,,,, move the legs and arms that fell asleep and are now needles and pins torture to a better position then drift back off to sleep and do it all over again when something else wakes you, or if its getting close to lunch time wrap it up.
"Us vs Them"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
My hunting buddy Bamboo built me this home made Torges seat with a few "improvements". Really like the easy setup and carries nice on my fanny pack or Catquiver.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
"Us vs Them"

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
I like the Nif-T-Seat, but I modified mine by added 2" foam and fabric over the foam with tabs that can be pulled tight. The foam adds comfort, aids in sitting still.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back when possible. I fertilize an Oak tree close to my stand, it's the best feeder in the world. I have had great success using leafy camo on the ground.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©