3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips and tricks for the ground hunter.
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I like to scout my surrounding State lands for areas being worked by mature bucks. This involves a lot of walking up and down hills. I carry only my bow and back quiver, water and a fanny pack with needed items. If I find an area I want to hunt, I simply stand in front of a good sized tree and watch with my eyes. Clearing the ground below my feet is the only preparation. I can stand still much longer than I can sit. Very effective way to bow hunt if you can  "stand it"
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
I like to scout my surrounding State lands for areas being worked by mature bucks. This involves a lot of walking up and down hills. I carry only my bow and back quiver, water and a fanny pack with needed items. If I find an area I want to hunt, I simply stand in front of a good sized tree and watch with my eyes. Clearing the ground below my feet is the only preparation. I can stand still much longer than I can sit. Very effective way to bow hunt if you can  "stand it"
Now would you call that "stand hunting"?    :laughing:
Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Yes, " Tree stand hunting"   :bigsmyl:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
ttt

ChuckC

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
I always enjoy these threads. Lots of good information.
Ken Thornhill

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
This may have already been said but here go's.
Try to use any fallen tree that's near a trail or funnel that has been there for some time cause deer or game are already used to it being there...I slowly add fallen limbs each time I use that blind to help brush it if needed...Prune back your shooting lanes early before the season if you can and use the pruned limbs as well and face the shiny leaves to the front and stick in the ground ....I always try to find a big oak with a "Y" shape and hide in that "V" section cause in most cases you have plenty of back cover and some in the front...
If you feel too open in the front you can carry some camo fabric and dress the front using zip ties,string,bunjie straps or camo duct tape...
Get a good seat like a Huntmore 360 if you can afford it and pack a lunch and sit all day...
Take a gallon jug to "P" in if you go a lot like me...As Eric has already said two on each side of a trail is better if the wind changes on you...Always keep the wind in your face and have a piece of thin string tied to a limb nearby that you can watch incase the wind decides to change ...  Enjoy the time in your new "Fort"...

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I get a kick out of the pics you guys post of your blinds in the woods. Yalls woods look like our yards here where we live. Our woods are so thick you have a hard time finding places you can walk through them at.Any openings you can find to walk will be complete with a big crab shell spider web and a copperhead or rattlesnake on the ground,lol.We have vines of all sorts, catbriars, bullis vines,blackberry vines, and the areas that dont have vines are nicely carpeted with poison oak. Seriously, its a whole different world than the woods up north.The good thing is, it makes it easy to fix a ground blind and it for sure will not look out of place. I rarely even have to do much building, you just find where you want to set up and trim a few things out of the way and your good to go.I have to do more work clearing out a shooting lane than i do building a blind. This is a great thread, yall keep it up!

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Stay out of the low ground in the evenings. Sent has a tendency to pool up as the air cools.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©