3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What difference does 3# makes?  (Read 304 times)

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
What difference does 3# makes?
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I'm just curious at what point does your bow weight start affecting things? Arrow tune? Penetration? Arrow speed?

I'm currently shooting a 42# Kanati and am on Jason's list for a 45# one. What differences will there be? And it just got me thinking about it in general which lead to my above questions. I was hoping to figure out an arrow that would be able to be used for both with little to no adjustment. Will I even really be able to notice a difference?

Thanks in advance!
Pat
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What difference does 3# makes?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
I would think 3# can "start affecting things" if 42# is your max draw weight at which you are comfortable.  

Bows around 50# are good for me and I can handle up to about 53#.  If I were to jump to 56#, "things are affected"...especially my comfort level and accuracy.  

The 3# difference for you would most likely only be determined by YOUR experiences.
Lon Scott

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Pat, I don't think the 3#s will feel that much heavier to you but if you were comfortable at the lower weight may take a little time to get used to. As far as arrow choice while you will probably stay in the same arrow group( ex. 1916 alum) you will still have to tune to the specific bow. It may wind up to just shortening shaft a little or could even need different spine depending on what the bow needs. As far as affecting speed, penetration I would think it would be minimal if any.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Far from an expert, but I had some arrows tuned for a #50 bow and ended up buying a #45 bow. The arrows shoot pretty good out of both. Flight may not be perfect, but they hit where I'm looking when I do my part. I do think the #45 bow is a little stronger than marked, but never weighed it.

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
I'm used to 45#. That's what I had been shooting before I got this bow. I'm quite comfortable with the weight, so no worries there.

Just curious about all the rest of it. That's all.
"For man only stays human by preserving large patches of simplicity in his life, while the tendency of many modern inventions...is to weaken his consciousness, dull his curiosity, and, in general, drive him nearer to the animals." -George Orwell

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
You may have to go to a little bit lighter tip or cut the arrow just a tad. 3# is not that much difference. I don't think that even with broadheads you would notice much if any of a change.
James Kerr

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Arrow dynamic probably wouldn't have an effect.....at that weight the trad lites might be the ticket....or the nitro lites....what head weight u gonna be shooting? ??

Aslo.do a search for arrow dynamics in the title and u will see they are very workable over a wide variety of bow and head weights
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I just went up four pounds. It seems to have improved my release and follow-thru. We'll see how my tendons manage. I can hold my recurve for 20 seconds easily. My longbow starts wiggling at 10 seconds.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline emt137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I'd like to be shooting around 200-250 gr up front.  I've been experimenting with some different shafts to try and find something that works.  So far the best flying combo I've come up with is a Easton ST Epic (600) full length with a 200gr point.  I've also tried a 1916, a Beman ICS (500), GT Trad 35/55, and am thinking about trying GT Trad 15/35.

I'm just concerned going through all this with my 42# bow and then having to work up a whole other arrow for the 45# bow.  Wouldn't be an issue if arrows weren't so dang expensive.    :p

All that being said I would like an arrow that has some weight up front.  The Beman seems to do fairly well at full length with a 250gr point; that being said if I flub my release it shows.  The GT Trad at 30" seems to do OK with a 200gr point, but again, if I don't have a perfect release I can tell.

So I'll keep at it and hopefully something strikes me as really working.  I like the ST Epics, but don't like the fact the names been changed and now cost more.

Thanks for the help guys.

Pat

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Poundage is only one aspect that may effect arrow spine.  The other big one is center shot/cut.  For example I have a 55 lb bow by one bowyer that shoots 45 - 50 woodies perfectly, however the other bow (different bowyer)at 47 lbs shows the same arrows at under spined.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Terry in reference to the arrow dynamics shafts. Are they the same spine all the way around the shaft, or do they have a stiff side like the Grizzlystiks?
James Kerr

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Depends on the type of bow. My recurve is 44@30" and my longbow is 53@30", they are both 66" I cannot feel any difference in weight...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©