3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Explain to me this Texas pig issue...  (Read 1594 times)

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Explain to me this Texas pig issue...
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jon Stewart:
[QB] The way I see it, let Texans pay other Texans to hunt and then when there is a mess they can blame Texans.

Already happens, everyday and year
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity - Darryl Royal

Dance with the one that brung ya - Darryl Royal

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
:campfire:

« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:00 AM »
hell, lets all pich in a couple hudred bucks and get a tradgang lease, and we all can take turns hunting the place.......sorry,  i was just thinkin outloud......but really we are 36000+ strong. thats a lota dough!!

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by arrow30:
hell, lets all pich in a couple hudred bucks and get a tradgang lease, and we all can take turns hunting the place.......sorry,  i was just thinkin outloud......but really we are 36000+ strong. thats a lota dough!!
Oh, the headache that would be!!!!!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Ill never get over how any man can fault another over wanting to be compensated for the use of his land that his blood, sweat and tears pays for. It is truly no different than if a stranger approached you and asked to use your backyard for their family reunion cause they thought it was a nice place. Oh dont worry they,ll help you by taking all of the dandelions out of your grass before they leave.

If you are ever offered an opportunity to hunt private land for free consider yourself lucky and the landowner as a friend.

There really is a lot more to it than many of us consider. Even with signing a liability waiver there are still plenty of worries as many people have been sued after their guests have signed one.

« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
The  farmer that owns some of the land we hunt has had many chances to take money from those that want his farm all to them selves. The problem that he sees is that he looses control of controlling run away deer numbers on his land. Reducing hunters access by going to a lease or pay only system when game numbers are running out of control is not game management, especially with the threat of booming pig populations. While pig shooting down south may be fun, up here in Iowa, it would be an environmental disaster. The exclusive right to hunt private property would take on a different feel if the land was overrun with hogs that you had all to yourself.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Well lets talk about Texas manners.  It is considered rude by most to ask someone for something like that when you have just met.  Typically you have to be invited. That may seem like no difference but it is leagues apart.  I have never asked to hunt a nother guys land but I have been invited.  Kinda like the US we invited all of yall to be a country with us.  :goldtooth:
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Chris,
Ok, that was funny

Offline Del Savio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
I personally have no problem with the practices and customs of land use in the various states. We have a 400 acre family farm which is posted and restrict hunting to close family friends and some local people who ask. My previous comments only took note that an abundance of land does not mean more readily given access. No judgment here . Lou

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Kinda like the US we invited all of yall to be a country with us.   :goldtooth:  
Thats a good 'un right there ChrisM.
Seriously, it is what it is and as long as there is a way for a farmer to make money, if you can call it making money, then they will charge people to hunt their land.  I would venture to say that in soem areas of the state, say South Texas, most ranchers make more money leasing their land than they do off their ag operations.

I gues growing up here and having always been on a lease it just doesn't bother me a whole lot.  

And like most Texans, I sure a as h e double hockey sticks dont want anyone telling me how I should treat my land or what  should do with it.

Hopefullly I didn't ruffle any feathers and if I did let me know and I will apologize.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity - Darryl Royal

Dance with the one that brung ya - Darryl Royal

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
capitalism at its best.  they have a product that someone else wants and a fair free market fee is charged and collected and every one wins...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
There really is a lot more to it than many of us consider. Even with signing a liability waiver there are still plenty of worries as many people have been sued after their guests have signed one.

This is where Izzy hit the nail on the head

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
On the topic of helicopter management...

Landowners are offsetting the costs associated with the practice by selling the rights to be a "gunner" on the helicopter.  I got an email the other day offering the opportunity to pay $850 to be a "gunner" for the day...

Which do you think is more attractive as a management tool to a landowner?  A "gunner" who will offset the cost of a helicopter and shoot dozens of pigs or a bowhunter who might kill a couple of pigs over a weekend if things work out right?
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
When pigs fly.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Yaawwl forgetin things is bigger and better in Texas than everywhere else! Specially the hogs  :cool:  

As far as I'm concerned, hog hunting is Texas is one of North America's cheapest and finest adventures for a trad bow hunter. I don't imagine life as a rancher/farmer in Texas is all that easy given the lack of moisture and fertile ground (oil farmers & ranchers excluded). Can't blame anyone for capitalizing on an opportunity - you and I would do exact same in their position.

So, if there is no hogs in your part of the world, head south with a few friends and alot of arras and contribute to the economy and have more fun for your $$$ than you will in most places.
hunt it

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
"Hey cj. How goes it?"

Hey Rick.  Didn't see your post bro.  Your right it is about money.  Maybe in thier position I would be the same way.  I just don't think I would be claiming how much the hogs are hurting me or my land.  i would just say "Hey boys, I got some hogs.  Pay this and shoot them up."
You get to keep what you kill.  If it were easy there would be no value in it.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
"CJ- if u were turned loose along with 1000 of your closest friends armed with machine guns for 365 straight days dawn to dark there would be around the same number of hogs in TX at the end of that year as there were when you started- you'd barely be able to keep the population static.

I agree it's counterintuitive given conditions but when was the last time you said to yourself "you know I really am impressed by the level of logic displayed by the average American these days""

Hey Ray.  I don't know. I havent hunted with the rifle dudes in 20 years.  All my land is in horse grass and of course no hogs.  
I believe you when you say we couldn't even dent them. Well sort of.  I do own a rifle and its an AR with a 2nd gen night scope with an ACC supressor on it.  If I was going to thin them out it would be with that at night.
I wasn't really complaining.  Except that I want them to deduct the income from the crop damage insureance they make claims on.  One or the other or a reconcilled payment using both.  By letting hunters handle it, it would cut down on the incurance subsistance paid out.

I don't know if any of you watched it but there was a show on discovery or history channel a couple of years ago that went through what would happen if humans became extinct suddenly.  There was a huge emphesis put on what game would dominate.  It was the swine. Biologists have already come to the conclusion that hogs would rule the land as a primary animal.  In fact they can use a pig valve to fix your heart.  We are closer genetically to the swine than a monkey.

Like coyotes, hogs are here to stay so I say lets wack some pigs.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
"I would gladly sign a waiver of liability too."

Thats what I do.  Colorado allows night hunting for varmints.  I've been working here in alaska for 14 months so I haven't done much of it since.  My son and I use use supressed ARs with night scopes.  Sometimes you can take three yotes before they even catch on.  A waiver is no problem for me.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
"I dont know where folks get the idea tha landowners get subsidies to repair hog damage, it aint so. "

If you have a cash crop and its insured you get paid.  If you have pasture or grass its on you.  Insurance reports at our Ampride COOP publishes the claims.  Texas has the lion share of the claims due to hog damage.  So yes, its so.

Just for the record I have not been bashing any Texans or landowners.  I might do the same thing in the same situation.  I've made a lot of money from Texas the last few years.  My horse grass hay sells very well down there.  I've invested a lot of my money into my grass.  Certified grass takes work. Less than 1% weeds.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Offline cjgregory

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
"Yaawwl forgetin things is bigger and better in Texas than everywhere else! Specially the hogs"

lol Well just think hunt it...if alaska was cut in half Texas would have to move down to third place.
64" Silvertip 58# @ 31"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©