3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Explain to me this Texas pig issue...  (Read 1600 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Explain to me this Texas pig issue...
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nala:
I wouldn't mind paying a trespass fee or something towards the upkeep on a place.  I would gladly sign a waiver of liability too.  I also wouldn't mind helping out any way I could.  The problem is I don't know where to find a place that has hogs and is willing to do that.  The places you see in the newspaper are probably overrun by everyone and their brother.  I am around Houston and am new.  I have no clue where to find places like that that are within a couple hours drive of me.  I can't exactly just hop in the car and drive around asking people.

Where are these places that are trad friendly for hogs?

Nalajr
Try Craigslist, try the local co-op feed store, try tpwd website for public land, or even corp of engineering land

Offline thumper-tx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I dont know where folks get the idea tha landowners get subsidies to repair hog damage, it aint so. Every landowner I know, myself included, spends time and money every year repairing damage.
If you combine the liability issue with having strangers roaming your land and the fact that they are not going to kill enough hogs to actually impact the population.... it makes it hard to justify.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Viron is hitting the head of the nail.  There's certainly no shame in landowner's asking the Hunter's to put a little skin in the game to help offset their overhead expenses.

There are free WMA's in TX which can be utilized for those wanting to hunt without a fee.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I have to give my opinion here.....a long time ago...hunting was more simple...You asked the landowner permission and if they gave you permission it was FREE... You gave him your name and number and licence plate if he wanted it..you thanked him and if you were lucky, you gave him a roast and maybe came back and helped him throw hay bales if it was a local hunt...I STRONGLY DIAGREE WITH PAID ACCESS,,to hunt wildlife that the landowner does not own...This will eventually lead to what has happpened in parts of Europe where only wealthy people can hunt. I personally don't believe a landowner should charge access....if you don't trust the hunter...don't let him on your land,,,pretty simple....this is my opinion...I guess I an ols fashioned and don't believe in charging to hunt.

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by trubltrubl:
I have to give my opinion here.....a long time ago...hunting was more simple...You asked the landowner permission and if they gave you permission it was FREE... You gave him your name and number and licence plate if he wanted it..you thanked him and if you were lucky, you gave him a roast and maybe came back and helped him throw hay bales if it was a local hunt...I STRONGLY DIAGREE WITH PAID ACCESS,,to hunt wildlife that the landowner does not own...This will eventually lead to what has happpened in parts of Europe where only wealthy people can hunt. I personally don't believe a landowner should charge access....if you don't trust the hunter...don't let him on your land,,,pretty simple....this is my opinion...I guess I an ols fashioned and don't believe in charging to hunt.
True there are some guys out there, but what about the guy that shook the farmers hand and managed to make a mess of the place?  Then what about the next guy that that left gates open, rutted up his field, or managed to think that grain bin was an oversize target that was put there just for him to blow a few hundred rounds through after a few too many cold ones?  Did those guys ever once volunteer to pay for the damages or was it me that had to be out there fixing all the repairs?

Why can't anyone see that the problem guys have ruined it for the good guys?  How do I know how to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys?  Is there a website or hunter review page that  will let me know if he is a good person to let on my place and will not cause any damage or will show up in the heat to help fix fence, dig cows out of the mud, or put up hay?

What about when someone acosts you at YOUR gate because you gave a buddy of his permission to hunt your place but you would not give him permission?  I mean calling you names and using the most obscene language while your wife and children in the truck?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity - Darryl Royal

Dance with the one that brung ya - Darryl Royal

Offline Dawnpatrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Its not what you know, its who.

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
tpwd website

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
I find it hard to believe that hunters couldn't eradicate hogs if given the chance.  The same was once thought about the American Bison, flocks of migratory birds, and our ocean fisheries.  If a landowner wants hogs off their property, you gotta kill 'em.

Maybe Texas should adopt some better programs that benefit both hunters and landowners.  Check this link out for one such program in PA.  

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=620379&mode=2  

This program also limits the liability of the landowner for hunters on their property.

Honestly, I have never heard of a specific case where a landowner was successfully sued because of a hunting accident on their property.  Maybe there are cases, but I don't know about them.  Not only have people become lawsuit happy in this country, but people have also become so paranoid about being sued that we trust no one - even our fellow hunters which are by and large still the best and most trustworthy people in this country.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
Hog hunting = money.  What's so hard to understand.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
does charging for hunting stop the hunters that are irresponsible ? I don't believe so,

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Charging pays for: chainsaw,fuel,oil,t post,wire,seed,fuel for tractor,combine,truck haul crops,water,hay,fertilizer,taxes,license for vehicles,insurance for vehicles,etc etc etc. This could go on and on and at a time when alot of folks are having to sell stock cheap and when it comes time to restock the prices are much higher. No rain = no grazing and no crops. Not complaining but when income is lost a family has to go with what makes them a living. All this said and we do not lease for any type of hunting on our land, is there any thing wrong with leasing NO.    :thumbsup:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
I find it hard to believe that hunters couldn't eradicate hogs if given the chance.  The same was once thought about the American Bison, flocks of migratory birds, and our ocean fisheries.  If a landowner wants hogs off their property, you gotta kill 'em.

Maybe Texas should adopt some better programs that benefit both hunters and landowners.  Check this link out for one such program in PA.  

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=620379&mode=2  

This program also limits the liability of the landowner for hunters on their property.

Honestly, I have never heard of a specific case where a landowner was successfully sued because of a hunting accident on their property.  Maybe there are cases, but I don't know about them.  Not only have people become lawsuit happy in this country, but people have also become so paranoid about being sued that we trust no one - even our fellow hunters which are by and large still the best and most trustworthy people in this country.
Humans do a poor job controlling rats, roaches, coyotes, and mosquitos. A hog is just a bigger version....albeit one that's fun to shoot at. Hunting isn't going to solve the problem, though. Not a chance.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
In My area back in the 60s there was a real problem with hogs.  Enter God and hog collora and problem solved in a year.  They are just now in the past ten years coming back.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by trubltrubl:
does charging for hunting stop the hunters that are irresponsible ? I don't believe so,
No, but it sure helps cover the damage done by those bad ones!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
Maybe you can get some free bows to with your free hunt to "help" eradicate all these terrible hogs.  Doing your civic duty.  Well good luck with that.  Nothing is free.  Landowners will charge because they can charge.  And many people gladly pay.  Money talks!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
CJ,

Try trading a hunt... We have friends in Colorado that hog hunt with us every year that works for both parties, they take us elk hunting.

I would be very grateful if somebody could explain the government aid to me, that's almost funny!!!

Hogs are very destructive but so are people with bad manners. Like mentioned, it's very hard to tell who is going to respect your place by an email or phone conversation. It is always easier in the long run to just say no to a hunter, bird watcher, 4 wheeler, sight seer, the headaches are not worth the aggravation or a $100 a day. It is bad enough the drive through the ranch and find beer cans littering the place up but it is even worse to find a gate open. When the cows get out due to a gate being left open it is usually no big deal unless they get on the road and get hit by a car or causes a wreck and someone gets hurt, after all it only takes a couple hours out of your day to get the cows put up. Now when a horse gets out now that's a different story; a good horse looses it's mind when it goes through a open gate and smells freedom. And once again the target practice thing, I start mowing a pasture and the my tractor starts getting hot only to find a bullet hole in the radiator. The excuses for the foul ups are always great but still not worth the headaches. Man the list goes on and on.

I don't like to pay for a hunt anymore than the next fellow. I have had very little success with day leasing, not to say that they're all bad. I will say that if you find a good day lease for $100, that's a bargain. Good luck with your hunt for a hog hunt!!!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Looks like you live where there are mule deer and antelope in your hay fields. If you offered to trade a hunt with a Texan you might have good luck. Do the ranchers in your area allow out-of-state strangers to hunt for free on their property? Do you?

Bow hunters do not "eradicate" hogs. We chase them around and kill a few. This is not a help to the rancher.

I have paid to hunt feral hogs in Texas for many years and found the fees reasonable and the hunting good.

Offline Gummi Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Those of you not understanding the concept about being charged to hunt private land, maybe try thinking about it like this:

Would you, as a homeowner; allow a perfect stranger to come on in, rummage through the fridge, kick back on the couch and start channel surfing because he’s “entitled”?

Is that how it should be?  You’re expecting a rancher to do that very thing, and I doubt seriously any of you would consider the above scenario.

Hunting in Texas is not like anywhere else.

Yes, there are a lot of pigs.  Comprehending the vastness of Texas, however, is difficult (even for a Texan).  There are approximately 172,044,800 acres in the whole state.  That’s a whole lot of area for the pigs to spread out in.

As for public land: There are 895,045 acres for you to traipse around on.  This does not include any national forest land, just state.  About ½ of 1 percent of the state is public access.  Pretty much everything else is privately owned.  Some of these ranches have been in the family since about the time of the Texas revolution, and they are a part of the family heritage.

Pigs are nomadic.  I have been watching and hunting pigs since the mid 90's, and this is what I have observed.  Some will argue otherwise, but in my experience, they are always on the move.  The same sounder may stick around for a few days or even weeks, but eventually they move on, and another group will cruise through (or push the others off).  You may see the same sounder come back through as soon as a few weeks, or even months later.  You may never see that same sounder again.

What you saw yesterday, won't necessarily be what you see tomorrow.  Just when you think you have them patterned, they'll change.  I've spent a lot of hours (day and night) sitting on stand waiting on a pig to show because "they always come in at x time".

Those of you voicing concerns about licensing:

Texas requires all hunters to be licensed, and to pass a hunter safety course.  License fees are reasonable, even for out of state hunters.  All license fees go to TPWD where they can be used for law enforcement, land preservation, and education programs.  They are not entered into some public slush fund to be dispersed irresponsibly by a wingding politician.  Texas is very serious about that.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. - Mark Twain

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gummi Bear:
Those of you not understanding the concept about being charged to hunt private land, maybe try thinking about it like this:

Would you, as a homeowner; allow a perfect stranger to come on in, rummage through the fridge, kick back on the couch and start channel surfing because he’s “entitled”?

Is that how it should be?  You’re expecting a rancher to do that very thing, and I doubt seriously any of you would consider the above scenario.

Hunting in Texas is not like anywhere else.

Yes, there are a lot of pigs.  Comprehending the vastness of Texas, however, is difficult (even for a Texan).  There are approximately 172,044,800 acres in the whole state.  That’s a whole lot of area for the pigs to spread out in.

As for public land: There are 895,045 acres for you to traipse around on.  This does not include any national forest land, just state.  About ½ of 1 percent of the state is public access.  Pretty much everything else is privately owned.  Some of these ranches have been in the family since about the time of the Texas revolution, and they are a part of the family heritage.

Pigs are nomadic.  I have been watching and hunting pigs since the mid 90's, and this is what I have observed.  Some will argue otherwise, but in my experience, they are always on the move.  The same sounder may stick around for a few days or even weeks, but eventually they move on, and another group will cruise through (or push the others off).  You may see the same sounder come back through as soon as a few weeks, or even months later.  You may never see that same sounder again.

What you saw yesterday, won't necessarily be what you see tomorrow.  Just when you think you have them patterned, they'll change.  I've spent a lot of hours (day and night) sitting on stand waiting on a pig to show because "they always come in at x time".

Those of you voicing concerns about licensing:

Texas requires all hunters to be licensed, and to pass a hunter safety course.  License fees are reasonable, even for out of state hunters.  All license fees go to TPWD where they can be used for law enforcement, land preservation, and education programs.  They are not entered into some public slush fund to be dispersed irresponsibly by a wingding politician.  Texas is very serious about that.
That's the best "first" post I've seen. Well said.

Offline SaltyDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
I read a statistic a while back, that said for every hog killed in Texas there are 1400 more being born.

Rick
Rick Barbee

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©