3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the deal with bullheads for turkeys?  (Read 599 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the deal with bullheads for turkeys?
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Now that these things have been out a few years what do you guys think of them?  I bought some one time but have never used them. Trying to decide on a turkey head for this season.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the deal with bullheads for turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm going with the Simmons TreeSharks. Big head that I don't have to shoot the head to kill the turkey, and they fly great!    :thumbsup:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
I'll take my chances with a Snuffer or something similar.  I'd rather be trying to hit a moving basketball (body) than a golf ball (head).
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
I bounced one off a toms wing butt. My brain said neck subconsceince said wing butt!
Make a life, not a living

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
Yea, thats kinda what I was thinking about them.  They seemed like a good idea at first, but I'm not so sure about them.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Nice thing with those heads, it is kind of all or nothing.  If you don't hit the head or neck, there is much less risk of injuring or wounding a turkey when compared to a regular broadhead.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I've always just used a SHARP 2 blade head. Shot many Turkeys with Bear Razorheads and Simmons Interceptors. Never had any problems, why waste your money on gimmicks? Stick with what has always worked.
This year I'm going with interceptors again.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
BOS =Big Ol Snuffer They look kinda gimmicky to me besides headless turkey hero pics don't look all that good.   :)
Jeff Couture

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by COOCH:
BOS =Big Ol Snuffer They look kinda gimmicky to me besides headless turkey hero pics don't look all that good.    :)  
My thoughts exactly except I will be using a Grizzly broadhead.
James Kerr

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Bawana, I think Im on the same page.  A landshark or big snuffer is what Im leaning towards.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
I have killed a lot of Turkeys with Snuffers and VPA's. Never had any problems anchoring them quick. A few years ago i wanted to try Bullheads, I had a Jake come in under 10yds and let it rip while his neck was fully extended. Hit him dead center in the middle of the neck, the arrow bounced off and he ran away "putting" no blood, no bird. Had it on film and after reviewing it I could see I hit exactly dead center, with the "field point" part of the head. I figured it was a fluke and went out again in another spot in the morning. I had a replay of exactly the same thing, on film once again. I believe had my shots been just slightly to one side or the other I would have had 2 dead birds.  I was shooting a 50# shrew, had I been shooting a 60# or wheels, I may have had a different outcome as well. I just didn't like the idea of having to aim to hit the side of a turkeys neck. On a side note I took a great Tom later that second morning with a Snuffer, he didn't make it out of sight and was down in seconds

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
idk about trad bows. but compound wise lots of guys love them.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
I like a good sharp broadhead, if you had a low hit with a bullhead well lets not go there.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Killed a turkey with one.. it was dead and didn't go anywhere. Never have killed one with a broadhead but that seams to work too.    :D  
Where I was I needed it to not run off with an arrow in it so it was a good "all or nuthin" option for me.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
I just don't think I've got the horsepower with a 46# recurve.  If I was shooting wheels, I'd consider them.  WW Elite will be in the quiver come next week.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I understand the apprehension because I felt it myself. While hunting turkeys in the mountains I had made a great shot on a bird, but it got its wings and flew down the canyon. I have no doubt it died real quick, but I could not find it.

On my return to the mountains I gave the Bullhead a try because it is so hard to find a bird up there. The Bullhead worked great and I killed a tom with it. He ran a little ways but left quite a lot of blood, the damage to his head was amazing and I can't believe he ran at all.

I still like body shots better and use regular broadheads most of the time (Sasquatch and Simmons for this weekend). But the Bullhead is not totally a gimmick. Between my Dad, my brother, and I, we have killed 5 or 6 birds with them now. We have had zero bad experiences. On a body shot tom one time, the tom ran a little bit, and went right back to strutting.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
I have some sitting in a box. I just can't bring myself to try them because sometimes the gobbler comes in and moves very little but when multiple birds come in and seem to be competing for the hens attention they weave and bob that head around very quickly and excitedly and I am not that good of a shot to hit that head.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
I'll tell you what they do work good for though guys.  I just shot a starling in the back yard with one.  Made short work of him!

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Skipmaster1:
I have killed a lot of Turkeys with Snuffers and VPA's. Never had any problems anchoring them quick. A few years ago i wanted to try Bullheads, I had a Jake come in under 10yds and let it rip while his neck was fully extended. Hit him dead center in the middle of the neck, the arrow bounced off and he ran away "putting" no blood, no bird. Had it on film and after reviewing it I could see I hit exactly dead center, with the "field point" part of the head. I figured it was a fluke and went out again in another spot in the morning. I had a replay of exactly the same thing, on film once again. I believe had my shots been just slightly to one side or the other I would have had 2 dead birds.  I was shooting a 50# shrew, had I been shooting a 60# or wheels, I may have had a different outcome as well. I just didn't like the idea of having to aim to hit the side of a turkeys neck. On a side note I took a great Tom later that second morning with a Snuffer, he didn't make it out of sight and was down in seconds
Youtube of photobucket will host your video, would love to see this!
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by BRONZ:
I just don't think I've got the horsepower with a 46# recurve.  If I was shooting wheels, I'd consider them.
That's an excellent point to bring up.  For those bullheads to be effective, they really do need that extra horsepower from faster, higher poundage bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©