3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Those darn kids.......  (Read 603 times)

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
Those darn kids.......
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
There are no other people that I know that would appreciate this "situation" as much as you all...I delayed posting it because I wasn't sure if any would care much but I keep thinking about it and it makes me really proud.....

I have been deployed on active duty with the National Guard for almost a year now and fortunately it is a stateside deployment where I can see family every few months or so. I have a son (6yrs) and a daughter (4yrs) and they both express how much they miss me on daily phone calls. Over the last couple of weeks Jenna (daughter) has had a harder and harder time dealing with the separation and my wife said she had been crying on and off most of the day because she was missing me.   :(  

I got on the phone with her (she is only 4 but has pretty deep vocabulary and conversations are entertaining). I told her the first thing I would do next time I saw her would be to take her out on a "date" to where ever she wanted to go and she could wear a dress and everything just like mommy. Through her tears and apparently new-found hormones, she said "could you also "beard-my-neck"? (a little rough-housing I do with the two of them on the rare occaision that I don't have to shave). I said "of course I will, and Miller and mommy too!".

After a few more words of fatherly encouragement and rambling-but-intense discussion of Tinkerbell and barbie dolls, I got back on topic with her and asked, "So where is the one place you would like me to take you on our "date"?

....she paused.....

I want to "do bow and arrow"...."Can I pull ALL of your arrows!?"..."Not Miller but me!?"   :D  

Never in a million years would I have expected this from my little girl, Miller definitely...but Jenna? I can in no way be described as "sensitive" but she definitely got me.  

Looks like I have an additional future hunting partner on my hands! I hope the interest stays.
Hope you guys enjoyed this at some level but it brought feelings out in me that I did not know I had and felt like sharing.

"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Those darn kids.......
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
Brian, First, I want to say I appreciate your service to our country's security. It means a lot to have guys like you watching our backs.  Your sacrifice of time/life away from family is not taken for granted. Thank you for all you do!

You have a beautiful daughter, and she adores you.  You're a blessed man, because children are a gift from the Lord; and daughters are His masterpiece.  Train her up well.    

Now do you have a bow/arrows for her or can we send you/her some?
CoilSpring

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts CoilSpring....I did actually buy two $30/set fiberglass kids bows from 3 rivers to spark their interest on their last visit a few months ago. I just started building laminated bows and have designs already planned for them when they grow a little older. This whole thing spawned from last years daily turkey hunting practice with a cup of coffee and the kids in the back yard. I had my blind set up on the back porch and had them "make turkey noises" until I told them they could retreive my arrows after they yelled "downrange!"...fun stuff...miss em
Martin Savannah 45#

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
That is absolutely Awesome!!  Not only does she want to spend time with you, she wants to help.  That is love!  Thank you for sharing!  Your story has given me a great big smile!  Your daughter is adorable to boot!  I am guessing those are Mom's shoes.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
Yep ...you nailed it "bowslinger"...Mom's shoes...combined with other random items from her closet.
Martin Savannah 45#

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
You are a blessed man. I have a daughter the same age, so I get it   :thumbsup:   .
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline al221

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »
That is real neat! Thanks for your service! Your raisen them right. Good job!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 03:54:00 AM »
You are Blessed,thank you for sharing!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
Awesome. Stay stong and just keep looking forward to times with them. I couldn't emagine being away from my wife and kids. Thank you for you service to our great Country.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 05:28:00 AM »
Diamondback,
 Thank you for both the story and your service to protect us here in the U.S.A. !
 I have a 6 and a 4 year old and try to spend much time with both and now that my wife and I are nearing 50 years of age we are in the middle of adopting one more child with special needs...That beard/neck ribbing is something I do also with our littiest one and she reminds me much as yours...Those are great things a child will remember of thier father through life and you are her Hero and I can tell she Loves you dearly...Dance with her and if you ever saw the movie "courageus" not sure I spelled that correctly it is a movie every grown man should watch...This reminds me of the scripture I have writtin on my bow and it comes from Psalms: 127 v 3-5..Children are a gift from God and Blessed is the man that has his Quiver full of them! God Bless you and thanks for sharing...Very cute daughter you are a blessed man...Keefers <><

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:52:00 AM »
This story caused my monitor to get a little cloudy.  My daughter, now 12, was the exact same way and we still shoot together today.  This past weekend she won the Youth class at the Texas Trad championships and I'll bet in a few years you and your daughter will be competing/hunting together as well.  God Bless and Thanks for your service Brian.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 06:36:00 AM »
Yes, thank you for your service and the story.I have grandkids That are getting to about that age and know I get a thrill when they want to help with watever I'm doing.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 06:56:00 AM »
Love the story.  My kids would shoot with me when they were young.  As they grew up, my daughter (now an equine veterinarian) was into horses just like Mom.  My son was into faster moving sports.  I never pushed bowhunting cause that is something one needs to decide on their own.  

Thirty some years have passed, now my son and son-in-law have started to bowhunt with me (Tippit's Finest Hour post).  Plus my 2 1/2 year old grandson really wants to shoot with us.  I couldn't be happier.

Enjoy it Brian...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
Always hold tightly those brief folded moments and let them etch a semblance of her in your mind and time  :)

They are what make life worth living  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
Family is so important and from the conversation it is aesy to see you are blessed with a family taht loves you . Hope you are back home to them soon safe and sound  :clapper:
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
Thanks for your service sir! Cherish those moments and thanks for sharing!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
How cool is this?... Way!!... I'm saying... through my tears of joy and happiness for you!

You have touched my heart in a way that any father can identify with, especially those with daughters.

Thank you so much for sharing! and your service!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing. Enjoy every minute cause they grow up WAY to fast.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanx for sharing bud, you are a blessed man!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Inclusion is the most precious of possessions to a child...

"...me pull ALL your arrows, not Miller..." says what her heart feels... Just the simple pleasure of inclusion!

Thank you for being man enough to share such a special moment with us.  That li'l sweetie will drag up "sensitivity" you never knew you had!

As echoed by others, thank you for your service!

I salute you, sir!  Congrats on your parental devotion!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©