3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure Begins Down Under! (THE END OF THE STORY AND PICS -added4/20)  (Read 1987 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
we leave for goat country right now........
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow, that was fast!

Looking forward to the pics. Bunches of'em, too!

Remember, be careful down there. I see on The Discovery Channel that just about everything in Australia is either poisonous or can eat you!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
good job Bud!!! cant wait to see the LDP's

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
This is going to be a great story.  I'll keep checking back.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:  
This ought to be good. Looking forward to updates.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:    :coffee:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
James Kerr

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
C'mon Bischster! You;re dragging around like a one legged whopdejou!! Best of luck & enjoy to the fullest fellow Texan.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
It's funny we all want to go to Australia to hunt. My friend on face-book lives there and all he wants is to come to Oregon to hunt elk and mule-deer with me.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
 :campfire:      :coffee:  
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
Semper Fidelis

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline al221

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets do this!!

Offline AZWarts

• Trad Bowhunter
hurry up!!!!
A superior pilot uses superior judgment to keep from using his superior skills.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Do us all a favor while you are down under.   Buy up a bunch of Ribteks and we will buy them from you,
Meanwhile, bloody are just get our blood boiling    Pic we need pics and the scoop

Good luck
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

OK, we are back! It was a great weekend......for me and the goats (You will see why the goats liked it as the story unfolds. I have earned a new title that will be revealed later also.).

Oh yeah, I guess I better follow up on that pic I posted a couple days ago. I called ozy clint to get directions to his place and he said; "Hey mate, I do not have to work this afternoon so if you can come earlier we can get a hunt in this afternoon too". I was all over that and jumped in the car for the 3 hr ride from Brisbane to Eukey, where Clint lives. I arrived and we shook hands and Clint tells me that he has a place right down the road to go rabbit hunting. We changed into some camo clothes and off we went. These Aussie rabbits are a bit bigger than Texas rabbits and live in burrows in the ground. There will be 6 or 8 burrows all together. You find the burrows then sneak in and look through the binos to see if any rabbits are out. Here is a pic of Clint checking out a cluster of burrows:

Here is a few pics of me stalking one of those Aussie rabbits:

I thumped that rabbit right at the base of the head with a VPA small game head but it did not do much to him and he ran down into the burrow. So I decided to switch to my broadheads. We wandered around and right before dark we found a set of burrows with several rabbits out. I put the sneak on one and just barely clipped him and down the hole he went. I snuck in a little further and found another one. This time I was dead on the mark and I bagged my first critter in Australia! here is a pic of me and Clint with my rabbit:

After that we went to the house and had a great axis roast supper.

The next morning it was off to the goat hunting grounds. This was a ranch about an hour from Clint's place and we would be camping for the night. We arrived about noon and decided to hunt for the afternoon then come back and set up camp. We skirted the edge of the property to get the wind in our favor. After about an hour of walking we found our first goats. There was a "mob" of goats at a small pond. The pond was out in the open and we set up above the pond in the trees and just waited to see what they would do. Here is  pic of the mob at the pond:

There was a big white billy in the group that we knicknamed "biggun". After quite a wait, the goats started to move away from the pond towards the woods to our left. We jumped into action and made our way through the bush to get the wind right and make an ambush. When we finally spotted them again they were in a wash just slowly feeding along. The stalk was on! We snuck in a ways and Clint told me to finish on my own and that he would stay back and watch. I snuck up to the edge of the wash and there they were.....with biggun in the lead. I got as close as I dared and then decided to wait on them to come closer to me. All was good for a while. Biggun had fell back to 2nd in line but the brown billy that had taken the lead would be a great one also. I waited and waited. Just as the brown billy was about to set himself up for a perfect shot, he decides to turn up into the woods......straight at me. He got to within 7 or 8 yds and then noticed me and Clint behind me, and stopped dead in his tracks. He stood there staring at us. He was so close I could see when he would change his focus from me to Clint and then back to me again. Now several other goats are working into the woods all around me. One even bedded down about 12 yds away. Here is a pic of me and the brown billy having the staredown (the goat is in the far left of the pic):

After what seemed like forever, the brown billy finally spooked which alerted all the goats. The one that had bedded down jumped up and started to run off but stopped at about 15ys. I drew back and let one fly. Oh, no! I was sitting on the ground and it all happened so fast that I did not realize my cant and when I let go my bottom limb slapped the ground and the arrow never made it to the goat. After they spooked, Clint got this pic of me at full draw:

Oh, well, I always say that a clean miss is better than a bad hit anyday. This stalk was a blast and I just had a bit of bum luck at the end. We spent the rest of the afternoon looking for more goats but never found any more. At about dark it was time to pack it in and go set up camp. We need some rest after all the walking and still had another day of hunting to go.

Bisch

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
Great pics!

Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Here is a pic of our camp. It was along the banks of a small river that is the border between the states of Queensland and New South Wales

We slept in swags (Aussie for sleeping bag) on the ground, under the stars. No tent or anything. This was the first place where Australia really jumped out at me. There were wild cockatoos, parrots, and parakeets flying around. I saw kangaroos and wallabys while walking through the woods:

And there was a 3 foot lizard too. Everyone told me to watch out for spiders and snakes over here before I left home. I still have not seen a snake but there are millions of spiders over here:

Clint claims they are harmles, but at about 3-4 inches long, they looked pretty mean to me and I made sure to stay clear of them.

More to come soon-

Bisch

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
oh man great pics and great story.
sooner or later everyone hits their bottom limb.
keep it coming
thanks
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©