3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure Begins Down Under! (THE END OF THE STORY AND PICS -added4/20)  (Read 1989 times)

Day 2 of the goat hunt was another great day in the Australian bush. Clint decided he wanted to hunt a new place where he had never hunted before. We went and met the landowner and after some advice from him, struck out into the woods. We found a mob of goats right off the bat. They crossed a fence and we lost them in the bush. We then started to make our way around the face of  hill towards another mob we had seen while driving into the proprty. They were a couple ridges over and we were not exactly sure where they were. As we were making our way we looked down the hillside towards a small stock tank and discovered that another mob of gots had moved in there for a drink. We made our way down the hill and decided on a stalking game plan. Clint put me in the lead again and I made a stalk I am proud of all the way to within about 17yds of the goats. After missing one yesterday I was not in a mood to be picky so I had my eyes set on the closest one which was a small white billy. He was bedded down and closest to me. I crept in and got up on my knees for the shot when all of  sudden the billy got up and began to move away. I came to full draw and loosed an arrow when the goat was right at 20yds. I am not sure what is going on now but I whiffed one right over his back and sent my Silverflame tipped arrow right into a rock wall behind where he had been standing (this is the first Silverflame that I have ever had break). Here is a few more pics:

The next pic should have been a glory pic.....but it was not to be. The score is now Goats-2, Bisch-0!

Bisch

After that little hiccup, we decide to again go look for the goats a couple ridges over. We started up the first hill and Clint saw a termite mound and we decided to shoot an arrow at it. Clint went first and hit it squarely. His arrow laid across the face of the mound and I decided to aim at a spot a couple inches above his arrow. OOPS! I let go and SMACK, pieces of arrow went in two different directions. I had center-punched Clint's arrow and broke it in two.

After the apologies we continued on our way. I heard Clint mumbling something kind of under his breath about making Bisch go first the next time we go stump shooting!

We made it about halfway up the hill when all of a sudden we see two goats about 50 yds from us heading down the same hill we are on. We ducked down and watched them go down the hill to the same tank I had just missed the small white billy at. We turned around and made our way back down the hill to find a mob of goats with seeral nice billies and one huge one.

I could not get in front of them because it was too open but They were just behind the tank dam and I made my stalk behind and then up the dam.

Once again I made a great stalk to the dam. Once on top, I realized that the BIG billy was too far away but there was a beautiful brown billy still close enough. I waited for him to turn quartered away and then stood up and took a shot. OMG - right over his back and I missed again. Goats-3, Bisch-0!

We spent the rest of the day walking around and looking for more goats but it ws not to be. This was an absolutely amazing hunt in a truely beautiful place. Even though I could not hit one I had a great time chasing them around and was really proud of my stalking ability. I don't get to hunt that way a lot. Anyway I have my red stag hunt still to come next week so maybe I got all the misses out of the way, for this trip anyway.

Clint and Roxanne, I cannot thank you enough for taking me into your house and showing me such great hospitality! If you guys ever come to Texas we will hunt together again, my friend. And if I ever get back here, a Cape York pig hunt is definitely on the list!

Oh yeah, remember back in my first post where I said I had earned a new title? I almost forgot to let you all in on that one.

I am now known as:

"THE WORST GOAT HUNTER IN THE WORLD"    :knothead:        :banghead:    

G'day mates and I'll check in again after the red deer hunt.

Bisch

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice mate ! and yep ..... we've all been there before ... and again .. and again ..... and no doubt we'll be there again next time .........

Darn goats ... %$^&*(#$@* !!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice...

What's the rifle for? No offence meant, as I often tote both a bow and a rifle myself... just curious. In fact, I have always been, and always will be, a rifleman, in addition to my relatively recent plunge into traditional bowhunting.

Good hunting!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Pictures and even a better hunt. Will be looking forward to your next installment.  :thumbsup:
"Never to old to learn something new"

Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Nice...

What's the rifle for? No offence meant, as I often tote both a bow and a rifle myself... just curious. In fact, I have always been, and always will be, a rifleman, in addition to my relatively recent plunge into traditional bowhunting.

Good hunting!
Clint had spotted dingos in this area before. He brought the rifle just in case. It was not needed for this outing.

Bisch

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
like bisch says, i have seen dingoes on the place and i got one with my rifle last november. they are hated anywhere in sheep and cattle country. it's best to shoot them on sight.
ben- that's my new blue widow pack. i got the rifle scabbard with it for hunts like this. very happy with it.

head up bisch. let he who has not missed cast the 1st stone. it was a pleasure hosting you mate. i enjoy taking people out and showing them my neck of the woods. the look on your face when you saw your 1st mob of roos on the rabbit place....priceless.

the tank (we call them dams) where you missed the goats will be called the 'bischtank'
now if those silver flames were single bevel it would have split the rock and been okay.  :laughing:  

i'm off to cook some axis chops for dinner then i have to make a new tab before i can shoot my bow again. gee your rough on gear mate!     ;)  
  :p  

more yarns later...

best of luck on the red deer hunt. hope you shoot a monster!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the update and it sure looks like you're having a great time Jerry.  Hopefully on you're Stag hunt you'll shoot like you normally do and hero pics will be posted.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yep, I hear you about those rotten dogs, Clint.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What an adventure!!

I'd say that you are in more good company than you'll ever know with you "whiffs"....lol

I look forward to more of your stories from "downunder".

:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline collofthewild

• Trad Bowhunter
Keep it coming! good luck on your stag hunt

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
It don't matter what the score between Bisch and the goats is, this whole adventure has to be a blast! Good all over you my friend and keep on keeping on!

Ben says to tell you hi and to please take a good picture of a kangaroo for him.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
That's great stuff right there guys!

Bisch, I'm sure your shooting will came right back around bud....someone that shoots as well as you doesn't stay "off" for long.

Keep on shootin'!    :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
You can blame those misses on jet lag.Thanks for keeping us updated on your adventure.Good luck on the axis hunt.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
Now that was an awesome story and some great pics along the way!1

Thanks for sharing!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great stories    :)

:coffee:
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome hunt so far!    :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awesome stuff Bisch!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Well done Ozzy! Thanks for providing for my fellow Texan. Great job! Better luck next time B. Southern Hemisphere always turns a Texas mind inside out! Man they've got some animals!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©