3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure Begins Down Under! (THE END OF THE STORY AND PICS -added4/20)  (Read 1984 times)

Fishing got canceled today due to high winds. I'll be in the woods after the red deer on Monday!

Thanks for all the well wishes guys,

Bisch

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Seriously, nothing till Monday?  Maybe you'll have time to post up some pics from your night at the range, etc.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Up for Crocodile Bisch. Red Stag is mind numbing cool! Krikey!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
TTT  Good luck Tomorrow.   :readit:    :wavey:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Michael Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Bisch arrived safely after going to wrong airport for pick up, sure had me confused. Not ass much as the people in the car behind me that I nearly took out.

The Stags are roaring well but no luck yet, I got Bisch real close as the stag jumped over me to get to him. Man that was close.

Cheers
Mick

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
This is gonna be good.  Tell Bisch Good Luck!
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

OK, I'm back at my sister's place in Brisbane. The red deer hunt was a blast but no deer were harmed. I have some pics and a little bit more I want to tell but don't have time right now. My sister and I are headed to the Gold Coast to have a surfing lesson (wish me luck!). I'll be back in a bit with some more of the tale. I can tell you this though; I now know what every elk hunter is talking about when they describe the spine tingling feeling you get when a bull bugles about 10yds from you! Only red deer do not bugle; they roar.

Bisch

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
So glad when fellow members share hunts like this with everyone...we get to live vicariously through these hunts.

Way to go Bisch!  Glad you have been able to enjoy a trip of a lifetime, and thanks for sharing it with us!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline wayoutwest

• Trad Bowhunter
Good luck surfin mate. Look out for them BFS.
Wayoutwest

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
can't wait for the rest off the story. shame you didn't get one but it was good that you were at close range on a roaring stag.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Ok, I'm finally able to finish my story. After the goat hunting and the week long stay at my sister's place, it was time for the red stag hunt. This was a hunt I bought at the LSBA banquet last summer. I met up with my guide, Mick Baker of Trophy Bowhunts Australia, and Mick and myself and another Aussie traditional hunter named Luke were off for the several hours ride to the Mary Valley. This is a beautiful mountainous area. These are not high elevation mtns like in Colorado, but are every bit as steep. Mick told us that he had had 2 compound hunters the week before and that they had not taken any stags because they would not come in to the calls. We arrived at the camp on the top of one of the mountains and it was soooooo very cool. It was somewhat primitive but man, it was neat. Here are a few pics from the camp:

This was the cabin from the outside-

And from the inside-

This is the donkey (water heater) and shower-

And no camp would be complete without an outhouse so here it is-

And now onto the hunt:

The first day of the hunt was uneventful with a few stags heard in the distance but no sightings. On day 2 the guide Mick and I went out for an afternoon hunt in an arewa where Mick said he was pretty sure there was a bull staying. While making our way into the area Mick spotted an echidna. it is a little critter that is covered in spines like a porcupine. When threatened, the echidna rolls up into a ball and looks like a 6" round spiny ball. I had never seen one before and it was real cool. I had forget my camera that day so we have no pics. We let the critter be and left in search of stags. After a while we sat down and Mick began to call. In no time we had a stag answering the call. It kept getting closer and after a few minutes we could see him across the small canyon coming our way. Mick kept calling and the bull kept coming. He made his way behind a rise where we could not see him but from the roars we knew he was continuing to come our way. From the way his sounds were coming it appeared that he was going to walk around right in front of us and I would get a shot between 10 and 20 yards. All I remember was the last time I looked at Mick he was in the middle of laying flat on his back and pointing straight above me. I turned around to see the 5X4 bull coming into view at about 16yds. He was not where we thought he would come and I had to turn about 120 degrees and draw all in one motion. The bull caught the movement and stopped dead in his tracks. I could not believe what was happening. I picked a spot low and tight and let her rip. Well, I was not as low and tight as I thought as my arrow passed right over the bulls back. He turned and tore out of there. I have to say that, for a brief moment, I was truely disgusted. I laid my bow on the ground and just sat there not believing what had just happened. The good thig was that i had a clean miss and i did not make a bad hit on that majestic animal. We went back to camp and I was somewhat bummed for a while but then I realized something. I was in Australia on the hunt of a lifetime and I had had a nice stag roaring 15yds in front of me. Mick fed us another great supper and I was soon in great spirits again.

On the 3rd day Mick again was able to call in a nice bull - up close and personal. We went to a spot where we had heard a couple bulls from camp. As soon as Mick stsrted callin we got answers. But he would not come closer. We talked back and forth for about an hour and a half and he just would not come our way. Finally Mick just stopped calling and that did the trick. The next thing we knew the bull was headed straight towards us. He came up out of the bottom walking up an old 4 wheeler road straight towards us. He gat to about 12-14yds and let loose with a very load roar. He was so close I could see saliva dripping from his mouth and his eyes looked liked he was crazy or cross-eyed or something. He came up the road and cut off on a trail about 12yds below us. He was moving fast so Mick made a very light cow call to try to stop him. It worked; he stopped but he was right behind a tree so there was no shot. He figured out something was not right and tore out of there straight down the slope and into the cover. I was rattled. I really know what all the elk hunters are talking about now, when they describe the feling of a bull elk bugling right in front of you.

Day four started out at daybreak with us walking to an area behind the camp. While going out Mick hit the call and a bull answered immediately. He was real close but across the property boundry fence. He was real close though. We set up in a hurry and within a few minutes the bull was right in front of us on the other side of the fence. He walked along the fence till he got right in line with me and spotted me. We had a short stare-off and he won. He figured out something was wrong and took off. In hind sight we should have set up a little farther off the fence. That was our last sighting for the trip. We hunted the rest of the 4th day and the 5th day with no more encounters.

I had an absolute blast on this trip. I did not shot worth a crap and I missed 4 animals that I would have mounted and put in my living room. People who do not hunt cannot understand all that we, as hunters, get out of the experience. This was one of those trips that is proof that the hunt is not all about the kill. I got the full experience and got to do everything except take a picture while holding horns.

I will also say that I made some new friends who I probably will never again see again but you can bet I will stay in contact with through the forums.

I also have to give some kudos to Mick and Trophy Bowhunts Australia. I would hunt again with Mick in a heartbeat.

See y'all later,

Bisch

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awesome story and trip Bisch! Been there, done that on the shooting part!     :)    Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing this once in a lifetime experience Bisch.  Glad you got a hog the other night to put the "over the back" jinx to rest.  Hope to see the rest of the pics and hear the stories this weekend.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bisch,
Great story. Sure makes me wish I were there.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story Bisch, but since there are no pics of Red Stags, tell us the story about the wrong airport....

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharin' the journey with us Trad Gangers Bisch!

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bisch,your hunt is been a great success,lot of adrenaline and many opportunities.This is bowhunting the hard way,we decide to hunt this way for the experiences more than mere killings.  :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
"Never to old to learn something new"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©