3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arra Questions  (Read 168 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
Arra Questions
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
As I've been saying to you guys nonstop, I ordered a bow from Nate Steele of Bamabows. The bow will be 66" and 53# @ 29.

I was originally going to get woodies, but I decided to limit my learning curve in my first year to just one new thing. So, I decided on carbons for the time being.

Big Jim's Bow Company (sponsor here), posted a good deal on some gold tip blems yesterday, so I snatched some up before they were gone. I got the 5575's (.400). They were on the weak end of the chart for my bow, but I was afraid the next size up would just be too stiff without tying a brick to the front. My thinking was, arrow charts usually err on the safe side. But, arrow sizing and choices have changed a lot in the 15 years I've been out of archery.

So, the questions:

1. What do you think of my shaft choice for a 30" arrow at 53#? How heavy of a point can I get away with, roughly?

2. What size aluminum shaft will fit over these for a footing? I'm going to my parents' house this weekend and we have a large garbage can full of arrows there. Thought I'd grab a few for footing.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arra Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
Try this it will get you close
  http://www.heilakka.com/stumiller/V2%20Dynamic%20Spine%20Calculator%20Rev%2012-25-10%20v2.xls  
Awesome! Thanks! Looks like I should be in the neighborhood and have enough room to fine-tune with point weight, etc.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
After more internet digging, it appears that a 2216 shaft is what I need to use for footing the 5575's.

So, I guess my questions are answered.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
I shoot a 54# longbow with a 400 spine cut to 29.5" with 275 grains out front. A 400 spine will be perfect for your new bow.
James Kerr

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
I'm convinced you'll do fine with that choice. You would have been disappointed with anything stiffer. Grab a handfull of assorted weights and get out and get edjukated!

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
Don't cut em till you tune em. Let your tuning dictate your arrow lenght, not your draw lenght. I shoot mine full length,53 lbs. at 29", 300 up front.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©