3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: E. Turkey hunting effects from warmer weather  (Read 402 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
E. Turkey hunting effects from warmer weather
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Was gearing up mentally for this spring Turkey season here in PA...till yesterday.

Talked to a buddy of mine from PA and he said "our season might be over before it starts!"

Now I've been afraid the low snow winter and warm windy conditions might lead us into a drought, causing our game commission to curtail the season due to fire danger, but that was NOT his point.

His friend was up in Potter county this past weekend and saw toms mating already

:eek:  I'm somewhat new to this bird hunting stuff just getting into it the past 2 or so seasons...

Anyone else in the N.E. seeing this that's been "out and about?"  This could be an unexpected gnarly situation!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: E. Turkey hunting effects from warmer weather
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. My season isn't until May and the way the weather is here in Michigan the turkeys will be done doing their thing before I get started doing mine.

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Might just have to find out their summer pattern if that's the case!  Pick a spot and ambush.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Had a guy in my taxidermy shop yesterday tell me he jumped a hen off a nest last Sun. while shed hunting. Another guy told me he saw baby ducks last week. It's going to be interesting for sure.
Jim

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
Same here in N.H. Our season isn't until 5/3
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
I hear the birds are gobbling and strutting in Michigan already too. Just have to ambush 'em now I figure...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Our season starts April 14th.  Got a pic of one last Wednesday in strut with a couple of hens.  Maybe this weeks cold front will stem the activity.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Doc, I wouldn't worry about it.  To tell the truth, our birds in PA are in full swing this time of year every year.  Just do your homework and spend time in the woods, you'll get opportunities.  Good luck!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
HOmework, Sam? Really?!

:)   I hunt 3 hrs away from where I live! With gas prices etc, getting up to scout is a figma of my imagination.

there are plenty of birds about, see them all fall, but not sure where they roost.  I have done some location work 3 seasons ago and found they move around the area a good bit.

To a beginner, killing one isn't the rush, but calling and having them respond and come in...well, that's the juice for me.

If breeding is over, hens nested... won't that just kill getting them to come to calls?

Just curious.  Reading books doesn't cut it when it comes to a particular state I would think!

Thanks, Sam... Shelocta is way out Homer City way, isn't it?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
I saw a flock of about 25 yesterday in afield down the road. There were 5 big toms strutting and chasen hens. Season here is not for 3 weeks.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
They breed this time of year, every year. Ive often thought our season should be earlier, but maybe this is the dnr's way of ensuring a lot of breeding happens before season.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
I heard toms gobbling friday morning.  In the afternoon I saw 5 toms courting some hens in a winter wheat field.  My season doesnt open here in Michigan until April 23 so I guess we will see how this summer weather effects them.  It could be snowing by then again.  It is suppose to get down to 32 tonight.

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
Been gobbling here for a little over a month in S.E. Ohio I feel this season could be a train wreck saw toms strutting and birds together the other day
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
any day chasin thunderchickens is still better than 2 jobs and -20 guys!  see ya in a month!

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
I am on a serious quest, to make my first trad kill and fulfill my dreams of trad success.  Last week I went out on a foggy, damp morning, heard no birds at all, no gobbling, no hen calls.  Snuck down to a corner of the field I'll be hunting and saw 2 brown "moons" just over the hill so I stealth'd into the woods bordering the field to get a better look.  8 birds, 6 hens and 2 longbeards feeding in the field.  I followed the birds movements and shadowed them for 2 hours.  During that time, the gobblers did not break strut for more than a few minutes as they followed the hens around.  At one point, ALL the birds were in strut or half-strut, must have seen something or other birds.  Again, they didn't make a peep.  I've hunted late May and have seen gobblers gobbling and strutting at that time.  It's hard to say what will happen in 5 WEEKS when I hunt but it sure doesn't mean I won't be ready to shoot one with the WHIP.  MTB is her name and she is just itchin' to help me harvest my first ever trad kill.  I CANNOT WAIT!!!  Ah, but as a bowhunter, I must use patience, grasshoppah.  So be it.  BEST of luck to all who are mesmo-rized my the wily gobbler.
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
Doc:  Yes, I'm not far from Homer City at all.  I understand about not being able to put a lot of time in scouting, especially being so far away from your hunting grounds.  I find that turkeys are usually in the same places every year.  Once you find them, you'll probably find them there on a regular basis.  Try and hunt until noon if you can, as I find the birds are pretty fired up at day break, then get fired up again late morning usually.  Also, remember that we can hunt all day now during the last two weeks of our season.  Find out where they are roosting and ambush them in the evening.  If you're ever out this way give me a holler and we can chase some birds.  Good luck.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Yep. Scenes like this have  been going on around here for at least a month.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I think it affected here in south carolina.....last year at this time it was full blown action.  frost in morning and warm in afternoon....great weather for turkey hunting in my opinion.

this year has been in 60s in morning and in 80s in afternoon....lots of rain and thunderstorms in morning and evenings.  seen 5 gobblers/jakes and 3 hens so far with last year same time saw 20 hens and 6 gobblers and 8 jakes with thunderous gobbles in morning.

they also are selective cutting pines next door so that has messed up their patterns and roosting locations quite a bit but even the birds I see are acting like on downswing rather than building up to a peak in next couple weeks.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I have always been able to find toms strutting for hens as early as Feb. here in Maine.  The boys start thinking about girls long before the girls want anything to do with the boys.  Most Fish and Wildlife depts. plan their seasons to start after most of the breeding has ended.  Once the mature hens start to nest on a regular basis I have found the toms follow jennys (last years hens) as they are not ready to breed yet, so are not on nests.  They will continue to gobble on the roost and strut for the young hens for quite a while before they lose their enthusiasm.  An early breeding season (if it is not controlled by photoperiod) could mean and early start to the summer pattern.  Like all hunting plan as much as you can, but be ready to adapt to what the animals are actually doing.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
I waited  for the last week , last year  due to the change in regs. letting you hunt all day .  
NOT  this year   last year was a disaster  NOTHING  doing all day after about  10 AM or so .
  This year should be worse !! I'm getting out the first week and HOPING it will still have some activity
 DOC  I hear you  I live out side Phila.  but hunt my place in Bradford CO>    3 hours of driving  with these gas prices   not much scouting can be done .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©