3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradfest canvas home  (Read 391 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Tradfest canvas home
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Seems ill be flying solo this weekend, so i thought id set this little guy up and air him out before leaving on fri. This is a smaller version of the one i use when i know company is coming, but for short stay hunting trips or outings when im solo it works out great. Ive owned it and used it for nearly twenty yrs and its held up great to the test of time. Knowing there some fans of the canvas tents, i thought id post a pic., Now that ive set it up i can hardly wait for turkey and deer season, seems the smell of canvas has that effect on me.    :campfire:  Looking forward to seeing plenty of the Gang at the shoot and looking forward to a great time.        

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradfest canvas home
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Neat set-up! I gotta make me something like that this summer...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
That is really cool.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ScottL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
nice set up

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33:00 PM »
Now I will know what to look for you in. I used to have a similar tent for primitive black powder competition and camping.
samuel koger

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
hi Paul, what does your set up weigh, and what are the specs.
looks great by the way!!!- especially with the extra side flap thingies!!  :knothead:

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
fujimo, it weighs in at im guessing 15 lbs, and the foot print measures 7 ft wide by 5 ft 6" deep , just big enough for one person and gear. In the cool evenings you can build a small fire just outside the awning and you get enough heat to stay pretty comfy, especially if you use stones or other  material for a heat reflector on the back side of the fire.   :campfire:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
thanks Paul.
sounds pretty awesome- was gonna post a pic of my canvas shelter- but just need to sort out a mouse that wont right click!!??

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
hey Paul, got a computer guru to help me out- seeing as i am a techno peasant.
i apologise for hi-jacking your thread- but just thought i would share a little.
so this is a modified tarp idea- with extra front flaps and a sewn in groundsheet.

it easily hold two adults, but the next time around i am gonna try a few different things, a lighter weight canvas, a lighter groundsheet, that is zipped in- and maybe a bit of an awning over the door a bit.

what i like is how quick and easy it goes up. tie to a tree, pull the backbone tight, and peg, then pull out the two wings and peg, then peg the door-DONE!
it has almost stand up room, handles wind really well, and with space for a fire outside close by.
and its easy to pitch over 1 pole if need be.- with just two guy ropes

take care
wayne

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:25:00 AM »
Dang I like both of those tents, I've been scrolling back and forth and can't seem to make up my mind which would be best.

I think Wayne's would stand up to a heck of a storm and would pitch faster but both would benefit from a tub floor in heavy rain. I like the "flap thingies" on Pauls too, they would really help to seal things up nicely.  Pauls tent would be a bit more condusive to a small wood stove-very small like the kifaru idea.

I think for a true back country trip I'd go with Wayne's version, it's probably a bit lighter.  I wouldn't mind having both or either one though pretty sweet!!

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »
Nice!
>>>------John------>

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
yup, that is what i do like about Pauls tent,  the fact that a really small wood stove would fit in real nicely- and built just a tad bigger- for two guys, and allowing space for the  stove, the carrying load could be shared by the two hunters, or a hunter and his cook/caller/camp attendant/lady friend!( in that order!!)

here is an idea i have been working on for Pauls style of tent: using a combination of fabrics, a hybrid so to speak.
canvas on one side wall, and say one third of the roof, and the rest out of ripstop nylon, that would allow for the stove etc on the canvas end, but would certianlly make it lighter for carrying.

as i say i plan for a built in awning on the "diamond tent", and right now it has a stitched in tub floor- next time i will utilise a zip in tub floor- easier to split up the weight, can use a lighter weight groudsheet that is easily changeable, after some wear and tear, or removable for conditions where it is not needed-
and maybe a hybrid type construction too.
maybe a strip of canvas either side down the backbone , to help with the breathability, and cancas front flaps and awning where the fire might be located.

just ideas!!

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
moleman, that's a great looking tent, I'll probably stop by and check it out a the Tradfest!

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Nice guys!!  Thanks for sharing!!  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
GREAT looking tents  :thumbsup:

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
fujimo, thats a great diamond shelter! A very simple but practical design. I see a lot of these at historical events, they are historically accurate and very simple, all you need is a square piece of canvas , stake 3 corners, raise the forth and walaa ,its home. Lots of ways to use them, very nice!   :campfire:

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]
This is the one i use for longer outings, and in cooler weather, with a 9 by 12 foot print and stove hole it makes a pretty comfy home. By raising the front and putting canvas curtains all around you can almost double the floor space, be warned though, shes plenty heavy. Great for driving in or packing in, but not good for backpacking.   :campfire:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Neat Tents Guys!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<