3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Earlier / simple release aids?  (Read 288 times)

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
Earlier / simple release aids?
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
I remember a post along time back about a version of a hand held release aid....made of wood with a rope loop???

Anyone remember these? Im trying to find something to use instead of a modern mechanicl release.

Thanks!
Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Earlier / simple release aids?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I believe I've seen those before. If I remember correctly, they were just a wooden t-handle that had a loop that wrapped around the side and was held with pressure from your thumb. I don't remember specifics, but they could probably be modeled however you want, as long as the loop could make a bend or two around the handle to reduce the pressure needed to hold it in place.

I know that none of that made sense, or was any help to you, but I had good intentions.    :(
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
An all leather release aid that works great but it is like shooting 3 under.

Second video: for accuracy

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
The photos aren't in the order I wanted them but it is my best effort...lol

I hope you can see how easy it is to make and use.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks Em! And Mudd that is pretty cool. I will try it.

But what i am looking for is a release that wont allow me to release until i am at full draw....i read about some others useing a release to fight their target panic and it really works.

I have been suffering with it for 7 years now and tried everything.

I was just hoping that there was a more "traditional" type instead of the compound mechanical ones.
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
I think you are thinking of a hot shot type release.  http://www.archeryhistory.com/releases/releases.htm

I've seen homemade versions that are much simpler than the commercial releases. Basically a wooden handle with a metal hook that retains the loop. The release is achieved by tilting the release slightly to allow the loop to slip off the hook.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Sounds like you are looking for a release which requires back tension to activate.

Offline Smitty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I use to have one back in the mid 80's. It had a dowell with a leather loop to put your fingers through. A rope wrapped around the string and was held by your thumb. I would like to find one again.

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Wilson Brothers used to make the Wilson strap tab.  You used to see a few come up for sale once in a while, but I haven't for a few years.  I don't know that it will help you with TP though.  The only thing that helped me was developing a proper shot sequence.  Everything else was just a bandaid.  A incomplete shot sequence is what causes a premature release, or failure to reach full draw (all just different forms of TP), in my opinion.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
I tried this today. It's tough. My thumb is sore.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
A release will only be a short term solution for target panic.. very short term. Unless you go with a back tension type release such as a Stan
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by moththerlode:
A release will only be a short term solution for target panic.. very short term. Unless you go with a back tension type release such as a Stan
or it could be a way to gain a consistent release every time.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Of coarse it will be consistant, that is why compound shooters use them even with longer axel bows , and finger shooters don't compete against release shooters on the competition side.
 New shooters will hit much higher accuracy in short order over shooting with fingers.
just won't help with target panic other than the initial change. Hence the back tension triggerless hinge type releases for a more surpise type release.
Everything I know (past experience) about releases and target panic has me putting money on it making target panic worse given time to adjust.
Different forms of target panic is a much greater issue with release shooters than finger shooters due to being able to get the arrow off the string much faster on instant command.
Shooting fingers with back tension also works great for keeping my target panic at bay. Just my opinion of coarse
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
I can't find it by an Internet search (yet!), but one of my older archery books had a simple one from the 1940's or so.

I think the book MIGHT have been "The Traditional Way" by Fred Anderson.  The device was invented by Frank Eichholz, who pioneered putting fiberglass on bows.  I believe it might have been called the "Bowlock."

Maybe someone else will have additional info...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Spend a week doing Blind Bail shooting and let it get ingrained in your subconscious. Don't look at the target accept to remove your arrows.
This has cured everyone I've ever shot with that thinks they have TP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©