3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Almost ready for wood arrows  (Read 255 times)

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
Almost ready for wood arrows
« on: July 27, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
I have Elite building me a few test arrows for picking my spline, but i have a few more questions.
How does one afford to shoot wood arrows alot if you dont make them yourself? Maybe ya'll dont miss as much as me. but my barn loves to collect arrows. Are you guys buying your arrows in bulk and testing (spline and weight) them yourselves?

I've seen several Straightener's at 3 rivers, which one should i get? The roller one looks easy.

My frend told me i wanted to shoot cedar, 11/32", and tappered shafts, thats all im going on now. Should i stick to a couple places when buying shafts? I've heard guys say they have thousands in their basements. That seems kinda crazy at $150 a 100 shafts.

Anyway im courious to what you guys do.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Almost ready for wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
I buy quality shafts from Twig archery, very few to no culls and all are very straight. I always check behind on spine and all his have been as ordered and his weight is within a few grains. They are like 30 something a doz tapered cedar shafts but everyone is useable.Wood is really pretty durable also. If ya get them straight and them seal them, I use 3 coats of dipped poly, I rarely have to straighten a arrow. And believe me I am rough on arrows.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
For general shooting and/or hunting, parallel wood shafts in 11/32" or 23/64" are a good choice, performing about as well with less expense than tapered shafts.  Just like you don't need space-age plastic shaped like a soda straw to get good results with your traditional bow, neither will you need rare and expensive exotic woods cut by forest nymphs from virgin timber near a clear mountain stream.  Most any straight-grained, commonly-available shaft material like cedar, spruce, ash, birch, southern pine (chundoo), etc. that is spined for your bow, properly fletched and mounted with a no-wobble tip and nock will give good results.

Shooting wood arrows is fun.  Making and using your own wood arrows is also inexpensive and quite rewarding, especially when walking up to your first game animal (or second, or third, or...), felled with a well-placed, hand-crafted wood arrow that you built yourself.  

Wood puts tradition back into traditional archery.           :)

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
I shoot quite a bit and also shoot Paul's arrows (simply awesome). As far strightening them, I haven't had a problem with his arrows.  A few I have left from two years ago and they are still perfect.  Occasionally, I will have to bend one a bit but very seldom.  Breaking woodies is part of it but it is ususally when I don't get a pass thru, a glancing shot off the target, or if I hit the nock with another arrow just right.  Don't worry.  Buy a set and you will be surprised how long they last.  I love Paul's arrows and service.  Good luck!
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©