3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: White with white: late winter snowshoe hares  (Read 596 times)

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
White with white: late winter snowshoe hares
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I sure love playing cat 'n mouse with these guys with my stickbow.  Here's some pics from a few afternoons the last few weeks.

Not the only hunter through this patch today, somebody beat me to it.  Any guesses ?  

And a close up.

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: White with white: late winter snowshoe hares
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
And wouldn't you know it, another hunter.  Most of you are probably more familiar with his tracks.

"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Ah, there's one !  Think you could get an arrow through that ?  

I didn't, he ran off before I got the camera put away and the bow up.  Lucky for the bunnies (especially this one) I probably like taking their pics more than I like eating them.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Sorry about the sideways pics, photobucket is messing with me.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
Found a great spot where they have holes that get them under downed trees that are buried in the snow.  Trick is to get them and stop them before they duck into the hole.  Here's one of their "entry" holes, you can imagine the tunnel they have under this downed spruce.

This guy got into the hole at his feet and out of sight before (you guessed it) I got the bow up.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I have brought some home with me    ;)  

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Nice pics. It was 83 degrees here today. It looks like winter is still hanging on up there.

bretto

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I'll add more (a lot more) to this later   :campfire:

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Great Post! Thanks!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Thanks Bretto.  Yes we'll have snow for at least another month, we still have 2-3 feet most places.

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Nice pics. Looks cold up there!
>>>------John------>

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
inversion boots   :wavey:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Really neat....was the first track a Lynx?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Nice report with some very nice photos.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Beautiful!

But that snow sure gobbles up arrows, eh!

I was out chasing ptarmigan over the weekend and kept an eye out for snowshoes but didn't see any.

I say chasing because we were hit by an unusual warm spell last week and most of the ptarmigan moved further north. The very few that remained were so nervous from being shot at all winter that they would flush at 50 yards and more.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Ron - you got it, an ok sized lynx.

Ken - Yes I am always looking for the next best small game set-up that doesn't go too far through the snow.  Am liking scorpios right now behind a blunted snuffer for bunnies.  Hope to get out Saturday for ptarmigan, the last day of the season.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Would you try this shot ?  I did, and stuck my blunted snuffer into the alder under the snow where it curves to block his shoulder.  Shoulda took an after pic.  The head came out of the alder easily though.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
It was a lot of fun getting this guy, tough shot, fairly long for bunnies (~20 yards), and most of his body obscured.  You win some you lose some.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Another one wondering whether I see him or not.  Part of the game is to try and move like you don't see them, while you get closer or move for a clear shot.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
End of a great day.

These guys have some big hoppers, and here's my current set-up of choice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©