3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I just CAN'T Sharpen Broadheads  (Read 518 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I just CAN'T Sharpen Broadheads
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
Call Ronnie at KME...he will walk you through the sharpening process. If you can't get those heads sharp with KME...well....   :dunno:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
I bought one of the work sharp tools. Lets just say I'll sell you mine real cheap. I wasn't impressed.
Jim

Offline Zdogk9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Sand paper will work better than most anything, IF, you glue it to a piece of glass with contact cement. regardless of what you're using your angle must be consistent and the pressure must decrease as you move through the grits. towards the end of the sharpening process you should be using little more pressure than the weight of your hand, if that.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
If you have a KME, do yourself a favor and call Ron at KME.  He makes an awesome product, and will walk you right thru it.  When your off the phone with him, you will be looking for all kinds of things to sharpen.
I second giving Ron a call. KME is the best product and has the best customer service.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
If you have a KME, do yourself a favor and call Ron at KME.  He makes an awesome product, and will walk you right thru it.  When your off the phone with him, you will be looking for all kinds of things to sharpen.
I second giving Ron a call. KME is the best product and has the best customer service.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
DID YOU STOKE THE FIRE BEFORE YOU STARTED  :readit:  

Alot of good advice here and I dont have anything to add except, I could give you a hand next time Im down.  I would like to see and help sharpen the head that you will STICK A BIG OLL MOSSE WITH!!!!!  :archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Ron is a heck of a nice guy.
Give him a call.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Yep, I also suggest you call Ron at KME.  But also heed the advice about using too much pressure.  Having spoke with lots of guys who have the same problem, I would say 9 times out of 10 they are using too much pressure when they sharpen broadheads.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Sent you an email... hope it helps.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Caleb,

Lots of good advice here but I haven't heard anyone mention that the most important stage of sharpening anything is step 1. You need to get your blade very very sharp with the coarsest grit you have. If not, all the finer grits can do is to polish the bevels of the dull edge. Finer grits will make your bevels nice and shiney but unless the blade was sharp before going to them, finer grits can't make the blade any sharper. Translation: your coarsest grit is your best friend.

What type BHDs are you sharpening? If they are any of the laminated tip glue-on type heads (Zwicky, Magnus, STOS etc.) then 200 grit is way too fine for a first step. I use 80 or 100 grit to quickly set the bevels and raise a burr. After this initial step, it's all over but the shouting. Remember, you're attempting to change the shape of a piece of hardened steel. Maybe only by a few thousandths but changing the shape none the less. Don't ask a fine grit stone or sandpaper to do this. Set the bevels, create a true intersection of the bevels, and raise a burr with the coarsest thing you have... THEN polish and refine the cutting edge with as many finer grits as you like. Give me a call if you need some help. I'm much better at yackin' than typin'. Thanks!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Good luck on your moose hunt btw!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advise! I have received a few Pms and emails. Just another reason why tradgang is an amazing resource! I plan on giving the heads another shot tomrrow night.

PS for those who have asked. They are Muzzy Phantoms.

Thanks again!
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Caleb Andes:
Thank you everyone for your advise! I have received a few Pms and emails. Just another reason why tradgang is an amazing resource! I plan on giving the heads another shot tomrrow night.

PS for those who have asked. They are Muzzy Phantoms.

Thanks again!
"Muzzy Phantoms"...That's a very important bit of information right there. Simple answer is you're very likely pushing way too hard. That long blade with the huge vents will flex if you look at it too hard! Phantoms, more than any other BHD need to be sharpened using a very light touch. Try this:

Put the Phantom in your KME and then place the sharpener and BHD on your sharpening surface. Don't move it but get down to table level where you can see under the sharpener (side view, from the rear of the ferrule). Now without any movement, slowly start applying downward pressure to the sharpener like you would if you were sharpening. Just an ounce or so at first and keep your eye on the trailing edge of the blade the whole time... then slowly add more pressure until you see the blade flex. When you see the blade flex, that's twice as much pressure as you should be using when sharpening.

It's amazing how little pressure it takes to flex the blade of a Muzzy Phantom and if the blade is flexing while you're sharpening, then the sharpening angle is changing all the time and without holding a consistent angle it will never get sharp. BTW, your 200 grit paper is fine for staring these heads. Let us know how you make out,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kykiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I suck and sharpening things too.  VPA terminators are so easy I can get them shaving sharp in no time.  That is the main reason I choose them as my broadheads.  I have just ordered some land sharks for turkeys and hope I can get them sharp enough to suit me.  Might have to look into one of those KME's.
Do or do not.  There is no try.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I'll just add that I learned a lot by eavesdropping on this thread. Esp. Ron's last about the importance of the coarse first step. Thanks, guys.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
X2 paddymac said, good info.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
What broadhead? 2 blade? single or double bevel? Three blade? fixed four blade?

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
There is a lot of great info in this thread!!!  :thumbsup:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Took Ron countless times to hammer into my thick, PA German skull that whole thing about "get it sharp on the course stone/grit or it will never be sharp!"

But, repitition is our friend... and after hearing it often enough and enough berating for being an idiot, it stuck!

Have both the Knife and BH shapeners. Just did up a couple knives and danged if I didn't have to almost start over...didn't get the 'wire' on the one side full length on a good knife with the coarse stone... and then when I did...BAM! Toot Sweet!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©