3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lil' "Maddog" Delaney  (Read 238 times)

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Lil' "Maddog" Delaney
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Been waiting on the right time to give you all an update on Lil'D's archery journey.  I got her and her younger brother little long bows for Christmas when they were 5 and 7, I believe.  While they definitely learned to shoot, sometimes get fired up over it and other times could do without it, my son was definitely more of a natural and consistantly interested in it.  Delaney is right handed, left eye dominant, and I made the decision to start her out as a lefty, a decision that I questioned when she constantly questioned it and said she thought she could do better as a righty.

This is her about 8 I guess.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lil' "Maddog" Delaney
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Fast forward to this fall....
Delaney and her little brother had outgrown their Black Rhino bows and I wanted to get new bows for Christmas.  Well, back when the poundcake wars erupted, David Knipes offered to get Delaney a Maddog but I just couldn't justify it at the time.  Delaney had a bow and some other kid needed the generosity more than we did at the time.  Well, I reached out to David before Christmas and he put me in touch with Mike.  Two Maddogs would be on the way and one, courtesy of Tradgangers.  I assured David that their current bows would be donated back to Tradgang and the circle of generosity wouldn't be broken.  I also decided to order a right handed bow for Delaney and see if that might be the way for her to really get comfortable.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Christmas morning arrived and both kids were psyched over the new bows.  They really are impressive little suckers!  So, still in pajamas, out to shoot we went.  Delaney, upon drawing back with the first arrow, says "Dad, the arrow looks like its pointed at your boat."  Crap, I knew I'd made a mistake and that left handed was the way it should be for her.  So, I got with Mike, and without hesitation, he said send it back and I'll get a lefty in the works.  Well, the second bow showed up and the excitement of Christmas had worn off, it's cold and dark out, busy with practice, school etc etc.  Delaney has hardly shot the new bow and I was starting to get a little bummed...thinking she might never really get interested it it.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
I've got a den of 3rd grade cub scouts and while not sanctioned by the BSA, I told the little rascals they could build and learn to shoot their own bows this year.  I followed the plans for the "pvc pipe bow" from an article in TBM and man what a hit that was.  Real easy and cheap and they fling an arrow quite nicely.  A great way to arm the neighborhood but I digress.
Last week, with the weather getting nice and the days longer, I told my scouts to bring their bows.  It was time to shoot.  
Delaney asked if she could come along and bring her bow.  Sure, sweety.  I figured her real interest was showing off in front of a bunch of younger boys.  While I was very focused on those little guys and keeping everyone safe, Delaney was flinging arrow after arrow.  I didn't have much time to pay attention to her and she didn't say much.  

Those little guys had a flat out ball...

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
The next day, when I get home from work, this is what I see....

Delaney finished her homework, got her bow out, set up a target at the back of the garage and is focused like I've never seen.  She's got good form and her arrows are hitting the mark with authority.  Something in her had totally flipped a switch. I was stunned....

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Thats awesome,I hope she sticks with it.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
The next day, we went to spend the weekend with my parents on their farm and Delaney made sure she had her bow packed.
She and I shot all morning on Saturday and had a ball.  I have an old pronghorn 3d target and she was drilling it from 15 yards all morning.  I was high and happy, let me tell ya.  

Later that afternoon, her Mom and I decided to go to town for a date night and after we'd been there for an hour or so, my cell phone wrang.  Delaney is at the ER with a broken arm!  She'd fallen off some monkey bars while playing with her cousins.  

Oh well, I'm sure we'll get it going again in a couple of months but man what a couple of days for me.  Big dream come true to see her so INTO that bow!

So finally, LONG overdue thanks to David, Mike and all the Tradgangers that promote the kids bows give aways and the St.Jude's Auctions.  It all pays off more than any of us will ever be able to completely comprehend.

Thanks for listening....    :thumbsup:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Anytime I see Duckbutt and Delaney in a title, and poster, it's on my agenda!

Thanks for the story of this great li'l gal's journey.

Now prayers are up and away for a fast healing, lots of good therapy and back at what kids do best as soon as possible!

Her being handicapped temporarily might drive up the "supply" side of future PoundCake offering on St. Jude, if she continues with her past generosity!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Hope Delaney's arm heals quickly.  :pray:
James Kerr

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Be praying for a quck recovery.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
That's good stuff right there!  (well, all except the broken arm part anyway)

Looks like the embers are glowing brighter, and just burst into full flame.  Keep on fanning them a bit while that arm heals up!

You're a very lucky man Julian!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
you're most welcome.  Additionally I thank you for the story.  I hope her arm mends up alright.-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©