3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Turkey help  (Read 365 times)

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Turkey help
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
If your using decoys, put them CLOSE to the blind to help bring the birds close.  I have had birds within a few yards of the blind and most of the time they won't shy away from the blind.  Good advice on making sure the blind is big enough, as well as watching window height.  If you can bring a few blunts, you can take a practice shot or two to make sure you have full clearance.  A few bungee cords can help to lower the bottom of the windows.  As far as calls, I found that a slate can be the easiest to get good sounds from with minimal practice.  The NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation) website contains files of wild turkey calls for your research.  Best of Luck.  Even if you don't get a bird, calling and getting a response from the turkeys will hook you on Turkey hunting.
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Ditto on practicing from a blind. I missed one last year because I didn't pratice from inside the blind. I use big Snuffers are that shaving sharp.
If you can chase down a non-vital hit turkey, God bless ya!lol

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
For calls, I like a box call, they are easy to use and you can get a lot of volume when you need it.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
My "opinion" is based on many years of turkey hunting and not based on what my buddies tell me.

And everyone's opinion is welcome and you can count on THAT on here.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
I have taken somewhere around 30 tukerys with a bow. They are a tough kill. I tried the dulled blades before and would never do it again. Sharp is the only way for me.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:

Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
If you don't hit anything vital you probably won't ever see the bird again. If you should happen to chase one down be careful about jumping on it if the broadhead is still in it.

Consider using a multiblade head and DON'T dull any of the  blades. Turkeys are hard to penetrate in the first place and in the second place counting on the arrow slowing the bird down is grasping at straws.

A string tracker can make a huge difference in dependable recovery.
told you somebody would come along and poo poo on what I said, you can count on it on here [/b]
Sorry David, But I fail to see anyone "poo-pooing"
 on what you said...fortunately you're way wrong about the folks here! Your attitude about how things "work" around here is also fortunately, not the norm.

Charlie was speaking from his experience, and I can tell you from my experience, and I've killed a "few' turkeys myself...what Charlie said is spot on from "my experience"!

We're in the field doing it ourselves, figuring things out first hand...not going on what someone told us.

Sorry to "poo-poo" on you now, but you kinda brought it on yourself...carry-on...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Let me start out by saying this will be my 1st hunt of any kind. I have been invited to hunt Turkeys in New Jersey. I asked if i can use my bow instead of a shotgun. He said sure and good luck.
My arrows are Bemans MFX 400's with a 100 grain field point. What tip or point would you suggest?  
Let’s get this back on track here.  1st Thank you everyone, that has taken the time to post a response to my question.   I appreciate it very much wish me luck, if you have more ideas please don’t stop writing I will come back and visit this thread often
I can use all the help you guys want to give
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©