3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 Spring Bear Hunt Thread  (Read 4323 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 Spring Bear Hunt Thread
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
We hit the road in One hour , Idaho bound , 35 hours give or take a few. Only stopping for gas and food. Congrats to everyone so far.........
,,,,,Sam,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Good thread and good luck to you Sam!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline mississippidave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Malcolm Parker, Bud Kent, Joe Walsh, and I leaving 4am tomorrow for Idaho.....watch out bears!

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Great bears guys!  Good luck everyone, looking forward to some more stories and pictures.
-Jay

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Awesome thread guys!!! Good luck to the outbound and congrats to the incoming  :thumbsup:   Appreciate all of you for taking us along for the ride!!!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »
Nice bears! Love the color on yours JimB.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Just got back from our week of DIY bear hunting in Idaho.  Had a great time and wish I could spend another week hunting. On the nice days bears were moving good on the rainy days not so much..
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Beautiful bear Jim !
  Congratulations
Glenn

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Great bears fellas.

Jim - wow.  Heard about the beast.  Great to see pics.  I hunted that same stand (and tree) x 2 nights as Ryan had another big one hanging around.  Never saw it.

Got back in at 1:30 am last night after a 25.5 hr drive and 1500 miles.  Will get some pics up today.

Stickflingers went 6 for 6 on week two with two in the 19/20 inch class and it's first ever bear shot FROM THE GROUND.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Bear Quest 6 starts next weekend.  I'll be headed up with Uncle Barry (if his doctor gives the green light) and Larry Surtees.  I'll definitely have my mojo with me, Team Tippit broadhead & my Dad's ashes to leave his spirit in the woods...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: June 03, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Great thread!  Great story telling littlbigman!!  Congrats to all.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2012, 05:46:00 PM »
Wow!  Great bears guys!  I really gotta give that a try one of these years.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Brian can't wait to hear some stories.  6 for 6 is pretty impressive and to boot one from the ground!  Good for you guys and can't wait to hear more.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Let him see Brian  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Oh... working on the Photobucket uploads right now.  Mine is NOT one of the big boys, but is an awful lot prettier than last year's ugly cuss.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I made my journey to the Porcupine Hills just north west of Birch River, Manitoba to hunt black bears with Stickflingers Manitoba Bowhunts.  In it's second year of operation, Ryan Derlago heads the crew comprised of two guides; himself and David, and Bea (camp mom as well as Ryan‘s mother) running a kitchen that churns out fabulous food come rain or shine, and Ron (Ryan's father) as camp organizer and chief social activities director.  He tells some of the best hunting stories ever.

We had a full camp for this second week of Stickflingers hunting season.  All six hunters arrived at our camp carved out of the wilderness in time for handshakes, introductions, and rabble rousing before our orientation scheduled for Sunday at noon.  This week I would enjoy the company of Tim Bradley and his son Joe from Colorado, Mike Casey from Iowa, Dave Pagel from SE Michigan, and John also from Colorado.

Tim and Joe ready to hit the woods

Mike catching some sun

Dave - suffered through my snoring inside that tent

Me - wearing my new TradGang cap

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Ryan reviewed the results of  the previous week's hunt, bear activity, and which stands were hot (that was just about all of them).  He covered our safety briefing, field judging bears and shot placement.  After our camp briefing we all headed to our fancy new wall tents complete with large comfy cots, camp chairs, wood burning stoves and plywood floors to make ready for our first of 6 hunts.  David would be guiding John, Dave and Mike.  Ryan decided to tackle the rowdy threesome of myself, Tim, and Joe.  ATVs were loaded on trailers and off we went.

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
The first evening I returned to the stand formerly known as "The Ladder".  Both Brian Wessel and I had taken bear off that stand last year.  Jim Gilmer took a dandy off it last week (see photos and story above - NICE BEAR JIM !).  Ryan told how another large bear had cruised around that stand the night/morning after Jim had taken his bear and that Ryan figured it was a good 18+ 300lb buster.

Neither he nor any others showed up that evening and I returned to camp a bit disappointed.  That was the first time I had been skunked in sightings at Ryan's camp.  The wind was making the woods noisier than a Rose Bowl Parade and all the bears decided to stay at home I guess. No hunters returned to camp that evening with a bear on the ground but everyone else had at least seen bears.  Long drives to get to camp and a long sit in a windy woods sent me to bed early that night.  Before the sun came up the wind had also pushed in some cold rain.

With strong winds and rain all night and all day I chose not to sit in the woods for day two.  Three of my companions stayed in camp as well, but Joe and John were serious about killing a bear and wear not going to let a soaking deter them.  They returned empty handed and wet to the bone.  I admired their determination while I sat in camp and stoked the fire.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
Tuesday saw the rain fade away and the sun trying to make an appearance.  The slop left behind made travel difficult and treacherous, and I am taking just about trying to make it to the dinning trailer.  We all managed to get our bows out for some more target practice before determining which camouflage pattern worked best for mud.  

Ryan and I decided the Ladder stand deserved another visit and back into the woods we went.  The breeze was still shaking branches and tree limbs but the trees were not moving quite as much this evening so I knew bears would be out.  About 9 pm I had my first visitor.  A small two-year old black bear that was finding it's way in the world without it's mom for the first time.  A sign that the sows were kicking out their youngster and entering into their heat cycles.  The boars would be out cruising sows now and less interested in bait barrels, unless of course a hot sow was at the barrel.  I enjoyed watching the little fella for about 45 minutes and decided to call it an evening and left the tree stand.

Joe had much better luck than I did counting 16 bears in and around his stand throughout the evening including a sow with 4 yearling cubs.  He saw a couple he said he would be willing to shoot on day 5 or 6 but nothing that made him excited for day 3.  Tim had a couple visitors but no arrows flew from his bow that night either.  Back at camp we waited for the return of David and his group.  At 1:30 in the morning when they had not yet returned a recon party went out to find them.

THE GREAT RECOVERY

The rivers that need to be crossed to get to many of the stands had become so engorged from the heavy rains the previous day that log piles blocked their return.  As it turned out, Dave shot a bear that evening as did Mike.  As Mike's bear was quickly recovered it was loaded into a trailer tub hitched to an ATV for transport back to the main road and waiting truck.  In the process of crossing one of the rivers logs became lodged up into the ATV preventing it from moving any further across the river.  The tub trailer began floating sideways in the current.  Mike and Dave jumped into the icy water trying to save the tub and its contents from ending up lost down river.  After righting the trailer and keeping the bear inside it, David began working on freeing the ATV from the partially submerged logs.

Grabbing his guide pack, David began digging out his hand saw only to have the other contents of the pack spill into the current.  He managed to save most of his belongings but did not find the saw he was looking for.  Being ever resourceful, David produced his Leatherman Tool and extracted the 4 inch saw blade, kneeled down in the near freezing water and began sawing his ATV out of the log jam with both hand underwater to the elbows.  After managing to cut away the  logs impeding the vehicle, David stood up shaking off the cold and wetness, smiled that smile that never leaves his face, and said "Well that was fun".  That is one tough little Canadian bear guide folks. Off they went further down the road crossing more water holes and mud bogs that should have stopped most sane people in their tracks.  They all arrived back in camp safe and sound near 3am soaking wet, covered in mud, and Dave hit the rack only half undressed too tired and cold to finish the job.

Dave's bear was recovered the next morning, his first bow shot bear.  I will leave it to Dave to fill in the details when he can get to his computer.

Mike shot a large boar tipping the scales at just under 400lb and had a solid 19+ inch skull that will probably end up closer to 20 than 19.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©