3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Turkey Hunt of My Life!  (Read 754 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Turkey Hunt of My Life!
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
I got up this Morning for a Turkey hunt and what a hunt it was.
  Yesterday My first Turkey hunt of the season found me in a brush blind at a place I have had great luck at in the past. Turkeys Gobbled where they were supposed to but would not come in.
  Today I grabbed my leafy suit and decided to go to some Gobbling birds and try to be a bit more aggressive.

I walked out of the yard about 200 yards or so headed toward a swamp and stood and listened till it got daylight. I could hear four different birds but all were across the creek except for one. I sat up on him a little farther away than I would have liked but after one yelp I could tell this was gonna get good.
  After about 10 minutes of quiet I yelped a bit " excited" and it was on. 1-2-3 Gobbles quick...from different birds in the same direction. Within another ten minutes 3 Mac Daddy Gobblers were under 20 yards with one strutting. All Mature Toms with swinging beards.They kept coming....
  One bird was to my left at 8 steps and his head went up and I knew he had smelled a rat so I slowly tried to draw on the strutting bird that unfolded and turned to run. I came to full draw and tried to shoot him in the back going away but shot low and got tail feathers. I leaned back against the tree and smiled. Sweet to get three toms that close with them Gobbling near every breath.
  I sat for a minute to not let them see me if they were still hanging out and yelped before I got up. Another Gobbler Gobbled to my right. The three I just called up Gobbled back from the swamp but were leaving.I yelped and cut a couple times and here comes two more long beards straight to me.
  I`m set up to shoot to my left and these birds are coming from my right. I cup my hand and try to "throw" my calls left and it works too good as they go around at about 25-30 yards out. I let them get by and call them back on my shooting side and they come back to 25 yards but seem a bit skittish and don`t come on in.They finally walk off the way they had came....Towards my yard.

By now I`m a wreck. My nerves are shot and there is another Gobbler sounding off directly behind me. I yelp a few times and he won`t gobble at the call just on his on every five minutes or so. I ease my slate out and cut a couple times and he starts turning flips it sound like. In a minute or so it sounds like a herd of pigs coming instead its two more gobblers Two year olds . they come directly behind me and are drumming mere steps away. I can do nothing but close my eyes and enjoy. They come around on my right side and walk straight away. I twist just a bit to get a shot and get busted. I look at my cell phone to call Brother John and tell him about my Morning and its only 8:05. I slip out with some better plans for in the Morning with  some deks and maybe my blind.Thank You Lord.RC

Offline tradhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Turkey Hunt of My Life!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
That is what keeps us rollin back for more.Sounds like a great way to start the day to me.
The wishbone will never replace the backbone.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I just posted the post above and walked out on the deck and heard a bird Gobble. Gods Country.Thank you Lord.RC

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Isn't turkey hunting awesome.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
RC,thats what I call a cardiac hunt,really keeps the heart rate up and nothing does it better than turkeys.I'll be looking for hero pic's in the near future.  :archer:

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
What a morning. That's what it's all about.
Ken Thornhill

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Sounds like a great morning to me.    :thumbsup:

Looking forward to your next post!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Wow what a hunt! Thank you! I felt like I wasright there with you. Got a few more weeks for my chance. Good luck on your next hunt.    :archer2:
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
Very cool RC!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Awesome buddy!  Only a matter of time....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
Sounds like a great hunt...that's what makes turkey hunting exciting!
>>>--------->

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
:campfire:  Awesome hunt! I love it when turkeys are that fired up!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Lil Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
That's a successful hunt to me...stay after them and good luck

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic hunt!1  Still a month from tomorrow before our season starts.  Stories like yours will have me chomping at the bit long before then.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
What are you doing on your deck???? Get back out there and HUNT!!!! thanks for sharing and looking forward to tomorrows pics!!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Go get'm man.  And see you soon.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Oh yeah! Looking forward to tomorrow!  :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks Guys. I don`t "push" birds. I hunted that group this morning without really messing them up actually three different groups.lol
  I will hunt a strut / dusting area this evening then be back after this mornings birds in the morning.Turkeys seem to be easy for me to get in shotgun range and one reason is because I don`t put lots of pressure on them. I hunt different Birds at each sitting and after tomorrow will not hunt again till Tuesday.Even Public land birds here are not that hard to kill with a gun if you take the time to listen rather than call.I kill most of birds hunting them like deer meaning I try to get where they are going anyway and call little. Birds don`t feel much pressure like that.
  Not an elitest but in reality I could have probably tagged out this morning with a gun.The fisrt two birds lined up heads more than once under 20 yards and a face full of #5`s would have set two flopping with one shot.But wheres the fun in that...RC

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
Something is about to die!

Turkey hunting .... I call it the purest form of hunting we have.

Thanks for sharing RC
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Very cool!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©