3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey calling Help please updated page 2  (Read 299 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey calling Help please updated page 2
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
I need some help in choosing my 1st Turkey caller
What do you guys suggest?
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey calling Help please updated page 2
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Slate. Versatile and easy to use.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
I will second the slate. I find that once I get a gobbler inside of 30 yards and have decoys set up I really don't have to do too much calling. I use a slate probably 95% of the time as most of my calling is done to let a turkey know where I am at. The slate is just the easiest to get different volumes out of for me.
James Kerr

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
box or slate....I'd say box first.  I really love slates, but think a box is much easier to learn and less to mess with when you have to set it down.  Its easier to find the right rythm.   Though a crystal/aluminum slate is nice with a glass peg so you can keep calling in the rain.  

I also use a slate the bulk of my calling and have gotten into making my own though I do really like how a couple of my primos pots run.      

There's a couple good videos on how to use both.  Primos has one...as does quaker boy....as does the woodhaven video (has some pretty awesome diaphram callers on the woodhaven also, some of those boys soft talk is second to none!).  

Learn three calls....a basic yelp, and the soft talk, cluck and purr and you'll kill birds.  Its more about rythm than how much you think you need to sound like a turkey.    Sounding good impress's judges and buddies, having the right rythm impress's thunderchickens.  

one hard lesson I've learned over the years is your first call can be your last.  IE, you set up on a gobbling tom roosted still up in the trees and you start calling.   Personally Its over rated and I think will hurt you more often than help, continous calling in the tree and going crazy on a fly down cackle.   a good morning tree yelp is good enough... "hey good morning sexy I'm over here"....  I've gotten to a point where I've put my calls down and taken diaphrams out so i dont over call and my success off the roost has jumped substantially on initial setups.   That toms goal is to get you to come to him and first thing in the morning that is exactly what he's doing...gobbling trying to bring his girls to him before he flies down.   Once he's on the ground, start working him.  I prefer slow and quiet at first and building depending on how the bird reacts.  Something you'll learn....the more you call, the more those birds know exactly what leaf, sitting on what acorn by exactly what tree to the enth degree you are on.   overcalling is a turkey hunters worst enemy.    I love running and gunning, getn them fired up and gobbling like crazy.....learn when to back off and not hammer them and you'll kill birds!

Some other simple tips.

-When it rains go to the green
-keep an eye out for the 'hot lunch program', (manure spreaders).   When they're spreading, be set up when he's almost done or shortly there after.
-they ARE patternable...learn the lay of the land and make it easy, if you're where they normally wnat to go to begin with...your odds of success are extremely high and your calling ability will have to be almost nil!   Turkeys ARE patternable, this pattern changes as the weeks go by.  Being flexible and understanding what's going on and whats to come will help you immensly!
-if you can learn to run them, tubes and wingbones, next to a slate, are by far my most productive calls.   Though I sound terrible on a wingbone, there's something magical about them.  And if you really cant figure them out..they make some pretty amazing slate call pegs using the small end.

Good luck and post pics!

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
I recommend a Lynch's Fool Proof box call. It is as the name says. Extremly easy to use but IMHO one of the best sounding calls on the market. I have used one for almost 20yrs and it is my go to call. Becoming proficient at simple yelps and clucks with a mouth call is really handy once you have a bird in sight. Whatever call you decide on be sure to practice all the time especially when your wife can hear you. She will love it and probably won't want you to stop.  :laughing:    :laughing:
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
AKDan, That is some very good advice. How does a guy from Alaska come to know so much about huntin turkeys? I was not aware that there were any turkeys in Alaska. Im guessin you have spent some time in the southern US?
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I'll be heading down in 3 weeks...have hunted mn wi mo ks ne md and pa  ;) .   If you love to hunt turkeys like I do...DO NOT move to Alaska LOL.  Grew up in Mn turkey hunting.....its my annual migration.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:00 AM »
Slate call if you hunt from a blind. Mouth call if not.RC

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I use a slate most of the time, and a mouth call alot, for a first call I would call Dave and Tracey at St joe river bows, they sell a push button call from A-way outdoors that is super easy to use, and will yelp, cut and purr all with one hand. Very easy call to use, and there sponsors here.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Box call. I've had a couple of my pupils really struggle with a slate. Go figure.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Box call.
You could teach a four year old how to make the right sounds in five minutes or less.
The cadence and pattern of the sounds is what's most important.
Turkey hunting is very exctitng and addictive!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
box calls are very easy, but when they get close you can't use it, mouth calls can be tricky but they require zero movement.

My best advise with calls is, if i had a dollar for every hen I've heard that sounded absolutely awful i mean worse than awful and heard a bird answer id be rich.

Don't worry about it just get out there and learn!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I started off with a slate call, and use that the most, however I recommend becoming proficient with a diaphragm call. Less movement, hard to lose-keep it in your mouth haha! Good luck with whatever you choose    :goldtooth:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline 8Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
+1 for the Lynch's Fool Proof.   I had one years ago, gave it away to a newbie, then went through a half dozen others trying to find one that sounded good.  I picked up another fool proof a couple years ago and the rest have just collected dust ever since.  There's something about that call that just gets their attention when nothing else will.

Bottom line though, turkey calls are just like everything else.  Before you know it you'll have an assortment of box, slate, mouth & wingbone style calls.  You'll likely find there is no one call that will do the trick every time and you need the assortment to try differnt things when your go-to call isn't getting it done.
"You will never have more joy in your life than you have discipline." - Matthew Kelly
"You will never have more accuracy than you have concentration." - Me

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
My order of calls in terms of amount used are:
Mouth
slate
box

AkDan had great advice.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
A slate for 2 simple reasons. Just starting out you don't know when ,why or where to increase volume. With a slate you do what turkeys do 99% of the time call solfly it's exsteamly hard next to imposssable to be to loud with just a single or dobble slate.
  Second even on bad notes it sounds more natural than say a mouth or a box call.
 Lots of people use push botton calls but then again just starting out you can be to loud in certin siturations.
  Being to loud and unnatural sounds are the #1 and #2 REASONS GOBBLERS SHY AWAY. Everyone with a mouth call or a box lets the yelps crank out. If it's not a 2 year old or a HOT HOT gobbler add a little pressure it dos'nt take long for older pressured gobblers to shy away.
  How many times have you had a gobbler gobble at your calls walking away at the same time. He's not spooked he just knows somethings are not quite right. HE'S BEEN THERE BEFORE.
  Mostly it's because he's heard loud calling before and it just don't sound natural.

I do use a third the most nateral sounding call there is and thats your voice. I grew up and my grandady learned me on slates.
 But from that first season on likely because my grandad was a natural with his voice. And all he used most of the time. So I soon learned and it replaced the slate because of the lack of movement doing it and it's natural sound.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
I've never used one, but I would image the Pushpin box would be the easiest. Just push a little wood dowel in. If I was just getting started I would go ahead and get a mouth call along with whatever else you want. The sooner you get started with the mouth call the less time you will waste, cause you are going to get one eventually and they take a little time to learn.

Learn to cluck on it first (fairly easy to do) and that will come in real handy when you think the bird may see movement.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Depends on how much time you have to prepare. I would buy a slate and a mouth call. You should be able to make some good sounds with the slate pretty easy. Proper sanding/scratching on the surface is important depending on material used in the call. My favorite is an old stainless Olt.

Mouth calls are tricky at first but very effective and practical once you master them. Buy a couple different ones and listen to some recordings on the web. A cd of real turkey sounds to listen to in the truck really helps. Go for recorded turkeys not calling competitions. A turkey sounds nothing like a calling contest. I also dont think all the stuff about multiple reeds and such is as important as really getting to know a certain call. When I was younger I would go all day without taking the call out of my mouth and finally got pretty good  :D  . I usually carry a plain double reed for loud calling and a triple ghost cut for realistic soft calls. Like anything practice makes perfect.

P.S. scouting and really knowing the land kills more turkeys than calls.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Box is easy to use and loud for windy, rainy days.
Slate, IMO, is a little more versatile.  By using different areas of the surface, you can produce different tones easily.
Get a mouth call and start practicing.  Don't go overboard with all the V-cut, batwing quadruple blah-blah hype.  Get a simple double reed and start there.  Work on yelps and clucks.  You can work up to cutting and purrs (I still can't purr with one).
I totally agree with not over-calling.  If a turkey is looking for you, the odds are dramtically stacked in his favor!  Especially since you need to draw your bow to kill him.  Rely on your decoys to pull him in those last few yds and keep his attention.  I like mounting a jake on a hen, then put on some Barry White music.  
"Brown chicken, brown cow!"      :saywhat:
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I like to use the slate/glass. the glass really gets out there and the slate is great close in.

I also use ceramic which has a good sound. Actually, I just love the sound of friction calls.

WoodsyDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©