3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow help?  (Read 271 times)

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow help?
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
I am looking for some help in purchasing my first longbow. I don't have anyone in the area that has any longbows in stock to try out. I was wondering which longbow bowyers you all could recommend. I really like the look of the Dwyer bows, but I was hoping for some other suggestions as well before deciding whom to go with. Help please.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow help?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Dwyer's are nice, but you'll get all kinds of opinions.  You really just need to get some place where you can try out a few.  If that's not possible, I'd suggest choosing a used one from the classifieds here.  That way you can get a nice bow without the wait when ordering a new custom built one and if it turns out that you don't care for it, you don't has as much money wrapped up in it and could probably sell it for what you paid.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
I'll second jsweka.  Buy used, then trade/sell and shoot as many as you possibly can.  They're like women in that they are all beautiful in their own way and sooner or later you'll find one that you can't let go.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
I'll second jsweka.  Buy used, then trade/sell and shoot as many as you possibly can.  They're like women in that they are all beautiful in their own way and sooner or later you'll find one that you can't let go.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Is there any upcoming Trad Expo's or big Trad Shoots in your area,that would be a good place to try some different bows.Everyone one will have a different and their own opinion.But you will have to decide what you like the best in the end.I too say look for a used bow before thinking of ordering a new custom made one.There are plenty of excellent used bows for sale.

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
Chad at Lost Creek Longbows makes a great longbow and I'm sure would offer some good advice. Hope this helps  :wavey:    :campfire:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
I can't really help you since I've just ordered my first longbow too. But, I see you're in OK. Nate Steele (Bamabows) is in Tulsa. That's who is making my first bow. If you live close, he may have some for you to try out. He's a sponsor here. Look him up.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
So many good bowyers out there. I agree with NBK. I started out alone, no one to help me, work with me. This was a decison I made on my own to bow hunt, and I wanted to go traditional first. I started buying and selling bows from tradgang, ***** and stickbow.com. I tried all sorts of bows mostly recurve to start but eventually longbows. I never lost any money except on 2 and it wasn't much. Learned a ton and now very happy with what I've gone through, it's a journey, you'll never find that one Holy Grail Bow, if your like me, you'll always wonder if this one or that one will be better in your hands than the one you have. Most people can learn to shoot most any bow fairly well if you put in the time. It's all subjective and not right or wrong. Just put one foot in front of the other and enjoy the journey, for me it's been awesome, but addicting, be careful! I now have all custom bows made for me with the specs I wanted, I've sold some I wish I had not sold. Sometimes I think if I only had one bow, would I be a better shot from only shooting one and knowing it, tuning it, and becoming intimate with only one? Perhaps, I'm just glad I can't afford an endless budget for them all. When one starts to talk to you, listen and enjoy the relationship.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I really like the Tomahawk series of longbows.
James Kerr

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
There are so many good bowyers out there now it is hard to go wrong.

Jsweka hit it on the head. Go to a Trad shoot where you can try different bows and if you don't have a Trad shoot or shop near by, try and buy used. You can usually buy at the right price used and resell it for what you paid if you don't like it.

I did this over the last 4 or 5 years with now over 300 bows. I tested many through a chrono and compared them for speed, smoothness and hand shock. After all of this testing I found that most are very close in comparison to each other, therefore it comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I think the best recommendation I can add to what was already given is don't get caught up with speed or looking for the fastest bow out there.

They are all fast enough for what we do and close to each other in speed. Hill style longbows are as fast as fast flight recurves, when a heavy arrow is used. The recurve will outshine the longbow with light arrows.

If you are going to shoot a longbow I would shoot relatively heavy arrows between 10 and 13 grains per inch. This will reduce hand shock and provide better momentum and kinetic energy for the longbow.

Therefore it comes down to personal preference and only you can choose the right bow for you.

Most people either hate or love the longbow. You will know right away which one you are with your first longbow.

My favorite longbows are Jack Harrison, Howard Hill, John Schulz and Northern Mist.

I also had a Dick Boss one piece longbow that I really liked and wished that I never sold. If the person I sold it to is reading this I will buy it back again. This will be the fourth time I will own that bow. Ha!

Good luck in your search and I hope you are one of us that love the longbow.  

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
marshratTC, Good comments in the post by Gil Verwey!  I love the longbow.  I would add to the list, Leon Stewart Longbows and Pronghorn Longbows.  I own both and they shoot super!  Best advice... Attend a big traditional shoot where you can shoot various longbow bowyer's products.  You'll find what you're looking for.
The work praises the man.

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
Legends bows has a really nice longbow.I have one now and Mike is going to make me another.I really like the way they shoot, very smooth, best longbow I,ve shot.Mike has a longbow pass around bow on the road now, call him maybe you could try it.He is a sponsor, check out his web page.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
If you can make a road trip to Chester Texas in May there will be several different bow makers with plenty designs to chose from. It is a great shoot with great people, you will not regret the trip if you can wait that long. Good Luck!!!

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 12:26:00 AM »
I like and highly recommend a Maddog.  But do as advised, buy a cheap used one and then buy a Maddog!  Get your used one quick and your new Maddog 10-14 weeks later.  :)    I promise you can't go wrong.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 02:07:00 AM »
Two Tracks LongWalker are really nice bows , Legends are nice, On and on and on. Just about every bow builder that is a sponser really builds nice bows at very reasonable prices. Many under or at the 500. bracket for a high performance custom built bow.

God bless you, Steve

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Suggest r/d for the surprising speed/weight advantages. That is, you can shoot heavier arrows w/o losing much speed as compared to straight limbed "D" lb's. *I shoot heavier straight "D" HIlls/style for 35 years.

Get w/Maddog Mike. You'll be glad you did. Great quality, service, & exceptional beauty for a very fair price.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by marshratTC:
I am looking for some help in purchasing my first longbow. I don't have anyone in the area that has any longbows in stock to try out. I was wondering which longbow bowyers you all could recommend. I really like the look of the Dwyer bows, but I was hoping for some other suggestions as well before deciding whom to go with. Help please.
the first link in my sig line may be of good help ...

understanding the quirks of each longbow type - there are three - will help lots in your selection.

within reason, you need to know your true draw length.

match a longbow type and length to you, and how the longbow will be used.

most any longbow will be better than you, and the *arrow* is far more important than the bow.

good luck.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I punched in " Oklahoma trad shoot " in the Powwow search box and got 15 hits. There should be some info there that you can use.

It is a shame that there is no Oklahoma forum yet in the Trad Club section here onsite. Google could maybe lead you to some local activity.

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
One of the first things you might want to think about is grip.  Do you like a traditional style handel or a pistol (recurve) type handle.  I think all of the bowyers out there are awesome but like mentioned they all shoot different for different people.  I've traded a lot of bows and realize now that I like the traditional longbow handle so i don't really look too much at extreme pistol/recurve type risers although I always keep trying them:)

Offline marshratTC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
I had no idea Bama Bows was in Tulsa. I have been driving all over hell and back trying to find some traditional bows at all. I missed OJAM which I have been looking forward to since September. It was within five miles of the house. Every other shoot that I can find seems to be for compound target shooters. I may be traveling back to the Lone Star state during the summer for some TBOT shoots just to see what else is out there. However, I may end up at Bama in Tulsa just to see what all is available before deciding.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©