3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Tick of the Season!  (Read 467 times)

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Tick of the Season!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I had two bite into me on Feb 11th while pig hunting in South Carolina. Yeah, the same weekend it froze over during that cold spell!

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I've had two on me in the last week. I hate ticks!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
Here in South Jersey we had a few nice warm days and then it got cold again, I'm hoping and praying for a out of the ordinary last frost to wipe some of them out.   :pray:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Yep I peeled one off last week as he/she was settling in. We have sent in a number for analysis and they have always come back negative.........in fact I called the lab and they reported that in our area (california) they all come back negative for Lyme-any others with experiences?

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
They are definitely out early in Mich. this year. My husband had one on him last week after working in the woods.   :(
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
i have had plenty on me this year so far,even had some dig in,but so far no seed ticks (wich i hate).
 the ones i can see dont bother me to much, BUT CHIGGERS .....OOOH!! I REALLY HATE THEM!!
i sprayed my hunting clothes with permethrin(splg)last fall and i didnt get a tick one that i can recall. did pick a couple off my pants but they apeared to be dead. i was impressed with how well it worked.
that reminds me i need to respray before turkey season rolls around.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Bjorn
I have a good friend who at one time lived outside Placerville on Rte 49. It's been several years but his son came down with Lyme Disease from a tick bite. It's always in the back of my mind so I'm alway's cautious when it comes to these little blood suckers. Once they dig in I don't know of a good way to get them out other then visit the Dr. Most often I just attempt to pull them out and then swab with alcohol. Perhaps somebody here can come up with a better idea. The head of a hot match doesn't seem to back them out. I have been told to cover them in Petroleum Jelly thus cutting off their air supply and they will then back out. Don't know if this is true or not!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
We never had a real winter here in Georgia, so the ticks were never really driven underground. I found them on me several times over the "winter" months. The answer is PERMANONE. Most southern guys are familiar with it, and I guess it is well known in other areas as well. It is sprayed on your clothes - but NOT your skin. It is effective. Its becoming one of the most essential accessories in my bowhunting equipment. See arrow30's entry above. It works.
Sam

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
I had a couple on me in mid Febuary while I was out rabbit hawking. I hate them!!! I've got Lyme's from a bite and my youngest daughter,she's 8,spent 2 days in the hospital from Lyme's last year. Caused her to get fluid in her hip and knee joint,to the point that she couldn't walk. It's fairly common to pick 20-30 off your clothes during/after a day out in the woods here.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I've n ot been "blessed" this year yet, but in years past, I, like Margly's cats, got them in 2' of snow walking when the air temp just moderated a bit enticing me to go for a walk in the woods!

The Lyme sites on the net suggest plastic tweezers to gently grasp and apply backward pressure till they let go and can be removed once imbeded.

The hot match, cigarette, vicks, and other irritants to make them back out fast, are suggested to be No-No's.

Reason? They claim that under stress, the tick regurgetates what he's taken in and pumps way more of those tiny nasties that cause Lyme and other diseases into your blood stream!

I've been relying on Permanone base sprays for a long time! There have been times I forgot to advance treat and sprayed my shirt as I went to leave the truck...often wondering if that was a really stupid thing... with the material wet with that gunk...and then sweating... as it's a HUGE Warning to never apply to skin...

Once that stuff dries on your clothes, they claim it lasts through 1 or 2 washings in a washing machine!   :eek:    :scared:  

I've watched a couple ticks crawl up my pant leg...about the 6" they say...and drop off stone dead! Amazing!

I've sprayed my entire outfit with that stuff... even head coverings. Once dry, I swear even skeeters tend to come in...and then back off like hitting a "force shield!"

Love that gunk!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
I think we are in for a bad year, when it comes to bugs and such.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Due to the light winter we never stopped finding them here in Southern Iowa
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
Tick season never really ended in FL.  I'm not sure summer did either.  It's been around 80 since november.  It is definitely going to be a buggy year.

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
Doc Nock
Thanks for your info. I have been useing Musk Oil applied very lightly around my coller, wrists and ankles wearing long pants and sleeves. I try to shy away from much of anything that is toxic but this seems to work. That and a visual inspection from others. The plasic tweezers and pulling lightly makes sense.
Appreciate It Very Much!!!

Offline Geezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Every time we come inside, my wife and I do a thorough job of searching each other...then we run outside and pick up a couple more.     :bigsmyl:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
RMEF / NWTF

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Ahhh,Geezer...the family that picks tics together, stays together! LOL

That's keeping the romance in the relationship, brother!

Larry, not MY information, but the LYME association has some really good stuff... Google it.

Permanone seems non-toxic if you follow directions, which I confess I've failed on occassion to let wetted garments dry thorougly.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
Lyme Disease .org
Lots of very solid info here. Amazing how prevalent it is in my area and how much of an issue it could truly be.
Thanks Again Dave
Appreciate the Direction....

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
Just got home from Missouri - did some mushroom hunting with a friend.  So far I've pulled at least 10 seed ticks that were embedded.  Almost rather have the bigger ticks just because they are easier to see!!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
I just dragged two of my "beater bows" out back for a shooting session before dark. I got back inside and while surfing the forum I felt something crawling up the inside of my pants leg.   :eek:  

Yeppers.......first tick of the year is now swimming in boiled water down our kitchen sink drain.   :D  

Like someone else already said, I fear it's gonna be a bad year for bugs. I can hardly wait till the skeeters get out in full force.   :scared:  

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
I have had both chiggers and ticks in me starting about 3 weeks ago. My neck of the woods is loaded with both. I have had so many ticks in me I can't believe I haven't had Lymes disease.

The chiggers used to be the worst for me, but I guess since I have been down here long I have built up an immunity. They used to kill me for 6 months, now after a couple of days I forget about them.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©