3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First Tick of the Season!  (Read 466 times)

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Tick of the Season!
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
You can spray with Permanone (permethrin), or you can buy clothes from Gamehide. I bought pants and shirts last year and have not had a tick while wearing them. The fabric is impregnated with permethrin and is claimed to be good through 70 washings. We'll see.

I have no interest in the company, but thought I would pass along the information. The stuff is pricey ($70 for pants, $50 for ls tee). It's worth it to me, because I'm out with the dog twice every day.

BTW, I'm told you can freeze ticks for an indefinite period and they will survive. My entomologist hunting partner says there is always some species of tick active, regardless of the season.

Richard

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
started pulling them on the dog last month. So far none on me though.

Favorite way to kill ticks? Noooo! not the bench vise!!!  :(
Member NCBA

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
They are absolutely terrible around here and have been for two months. I mix 2 tablespoons of DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate with 15oz. of water. Spray my clothes and forget about ticks and chiggers.

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
Pulled one off my dog last Saturday and one today.Hate these crabby lookin bloodsuckers.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Got into some turkey hunting last weekend with my 5 year old.  Thought we escaped with getting any latched on but a couple days later my wife found one right at the crown of his hair on top of his head.  She was worried that he would get upset when he realized what was going on during removal.  I just said "Hey buddy, one of those ticks got attached to you on your head so I'm pulling it out."

"Ok"

Pulled him out, showed it to him and he was back to playing without really much thought.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:
They are absolutely terrible around here and have been for two months. I mix 2 tablespoons of DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate with 15oz. of water. Spray my clothes and forget about ticks and chiggers.
WOW!!

I go a little less than a teaspoon per quart of water and have no problems. Sometimes I think that is too much Permethrin.

Bought mine from Tractor Supply in the cattle section. About $7 for a lifetime supply of tick and chigger repellant.

I hate chiggers more than ticks. I can't see the chiggers until it's too late. I still have remnants of bites from last year that have not faded. I discovered the Permethrin recipe this Jan. Ticks have been out since late Feb in central NC. Used the Permethrin spray at Ray's in mid March with not one bite as a result. Lord it was warm enough....whew! I did actually see a few ticks while down there.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Plucked one off my girlfriends rear end this morning......
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©